Cousins back to Perth - Freo in the hotseat

Remove this Banner Ad

this will be an interesting decision at the end of the year. Obviously we do need quality young kids in this draft. now lets see. Im thinking of this scenario. Pretend that we didnt trade Warnock, mundy and murphy and we finished 14th.

Our draft picks will be 3, 19, 35, 51, 67, 83, 99. thats 7 picks. This is my prediction... we will use all 7 picks in the draft. I can be certain that "recruitment wise" we will be as good as last year. 3, 19, 35, 51 will be used on WA kids. 67 and 83 will probrably be more wa kids with these picks.

so that leaves us with the last pick... 99. my tip is that we will use it to get ben cousins in the preseason draft. and yes it has been proven that we can get good players in the preseason draft... Michael Johnson in the 2004 preseason is a fine example.

Look if we get cousins and 6 young WA kids in the draft. Ill be happy. If we are using a preseason pick and this turns out to be a failiure it wont be that bad because it wont be risky. If he turns out to play 3-5 good years with our club and becomes a important piece to fremantles possible premiership, people will be jubilated.

all of us fremantle supporters want one thing... to see freo win a premiership. if ben is commited to the cause then it will be worth it. When ben cousins is in form, all team mates walk taller, play better and become more confident when it happens.

what a awesome comeback story if ben cousins comes back out of retirement and guides us to a flag? I know it sounds crazy but it has been done before.

Remember tim watson playing for essendon in 1993 with those "baby bombers" premiership side?

always admired him as a footballer, he's an east freo boy with a point to prove, what could possibly go wrong?

ps italia might be right.

always admired him as a footballer, he's an east freo boy with a point to prove, what could possibly go wrong?

ps italia might be right.

yes you have a point... everyone has different opinions. My post earlier stated that provided we recruit at least 5 or 6 picks and get cousins i will be happy. you know its not that we are trading pick 3 to get him, we are using a shit draft pick to use him.

there are some negatives though. Remember wayne carey and his come back? Carey was one of the best players to play AFL in modern history. he took a year off because of the incident returned to play afl with the crows and had one ok year and only played half a year after that.

On the other hand we have bad history when it comes to recruitng players from other clubs. we get decent players from other clubs and yet they dont perform as good as promised. Tarrant is one i can think of. Des headland has been good, but not as good as he was with Brisbane.

<snip>On the other hand we have bad history when it comes to recruitng players from other clubs. we get decent players from other clubs and yet they dont perform as good as promised. Tarrant is one i can think of. Des headland has been good, but not as good as he was with Brisbane.
But you have to look at the calibre of the blokes Des had around him. He was getting superb delivery and had guys around him who would attract the #1, 2 and 3 tags... Des is a good player, but was made to look better because of the quality of players around him.

Our draft picks will be 3, 19, 35, 51, 67, 83, 99. thats 7 picks. This is my prediction... we will use all 7 picks in the draft. I can be certain that "recruitment wise" we will be as good as last year. 3, 19, 35, 51 will be used on WA kids. 67 and 83 will probrably be more wa kids with these picks.

so that leaves us with the last pick... 99. my tip is that we will use it to get ben cousins in the preseason draft. and yes it has been proven that we can get good players in the preseason draft... Michael Johnson in the 2004 preseason is a fine example.

A lot of clubs pass on selections once it gets to around pick 70. So we'll probably end up taking selections 3, 19, 35, 51, 65, 74 and 79 (or something like that).

We might end up with more than 7 spots too. Bell, Black, Longmuir, Carr gone. Farmer and Mark Johnson more likely to go than stay. Webster and Browne struggling to warrant another 12 months. Then there's trade week, and any surprises that no one sees coming (who thought that Collard would be de-listed last year). But I agree, with around ten spots opening up on the senior/rookie list I'd be happy for us to use one of those spots on Cousins (even though I doubt we will).

Interesting that Cousins could be at Freo.

Your new CEO has stated he will draft for youth (about time you guys did) but Cousins would be a great addition to your team. Imagine what influence he would have on Palmer.

If Cousins had to go anywhere (besides the Eagles) I would prefer Freo. Although I am more convinced he will land at the Pies, Bulldogs, Hawks or Carlton.

A lot of clubs pass on selections once it gets to around pick 70. So we'll probably end up taking selections 3, 19, 35, 51, 65, 74 and 79 (or something like that).

We might end up with more than 7 spots too. Bell, Black, Longmuir, Carr gone. Farmer and Mark Johnson more likely to go than stay. Webster and Browne struggling to warrant another 12 months. Then there's trade week, and any surprises that no one sees coming (who thought that Collard would be de-listed last year). But I agree, with around ten spots opening up on the senior/rookie list I'd be happy for us to use one of those spots on Cousins (even though I doubt we will).

Hit it on the head, Dom!

I don't know how many of you posting here know Ben personally, are parents have family and friends that have drug or any other addictions. Ben has a serious life threathing illness. Yes, he like many others who have experimented in drugs made bad decisions and he is paying the price. To say the he alone destroyed West Coast is just so stupid. West Coast was very aware that Ben was in such a bad way that he needed professional help years ago. He was not capable of making rational decisions or changing his behavior. You can say that he did not care about the club and only cared about himself. You could also say the club only cared about success and not about Ben. The fact is that Ben is now a very ill young man and football and the culture of football clubs (The AFL still not released number of positive drug tests that was due in Feb? I think) has contributed to that illness. There seems to be conflicting views that playing football again may help him or may not. The problem being that he should never have returned last year, as there was a 99% chance that he would relapse. The AFL cleared him to play and of course and they have to again. They will be very careful this time and there will be very strict conditions. This time it is not about Ben coming back to win some games! I hope that it's about someone helping Ben recover! and he will more than likely play a few good games for probably little money. I think Mick Malthouse if the only one that can help him and as much as I want him at Freo. He needs Mick.!

Sorry but this is just hogwash to me. After a group discussion with medical practitioners, if he was "addicted" to ice there is no way he would be able to sustain professional football, let alone as one of the top 5 players in the competition.

Just because the media talk him up as an addict does not make it so. Now before people respond and say he came out and said he had an addiction problem, any manager and publicist with half a brain would cut his old fella off if he hadn't come out and said that. Now i am not saying i know what his problem is exactly but people need to understand he had to come out and say those things to protect his future interests and garner sympathy from those in positions to decide his future, namely the AFL for example. The alternative was what? "Oh yeah i like to get high every now and then but im not an addict" sounds pretty stupid doesn't it no matter how carefully or restrained you word it

I think what you will find is the only thing he is addicted to, is BEN COUSINS... The party boy glamour of the town lifestyle he has led is what he is really addicted to and that is what the Eagles have battled to control for years now. Hence the removal of Michael Gardiner and Daniel Chick his number one "serpents with the fruit"

The real battle, is after dedicating so much to football can he dedicate a little more to a completely new team?

Could that team be Freo? I don't know... To be honest i think the only way he would end up at this club is if Harvey sat down with Worsfold and Nisbett and asked them to be honest and they said he can add something he can be controlled, because they are the only ones who really now what is going on. The chances of that meeting ever happening? None...

So no cousins in purple is the likely outcome.

Benny was a casual drug user for years (there was an incident at his 21st in 1999) but after their premiership in 2006 he celebrated too hard for too long and the eagles had to send him for treatment. Then when Mainwaring passed away he re-lapsed.

Benny was a casual drug user for years (there was an incident at his 21st in 1999)

As are a lot of AFL players, which the law of averages states Freo has such players. I don't see why we should care if our players casually use drugs, it is a common thing in society... whether its Xanax, Paracetemol, alchohol, cocaine, marijuana, etc. It's only a concern when it impacts their performances significantly, at least to us as supporters. It's not illegal to take the illicit drugs, only to possess them (the law is stupid yet we follow it?).

Ben is a party boy, and probably did them too hard on a few occasions, but in the realm of addicts he isn't quite as bad as the worst... far from it really. His biggest binge was after WCE sacked him and he was depressed... which is where you need to be careful if you have access to such high end drugs as in the wrong mental state you can end up killing yourself ala mainwaring.

I've been arguing with my Freo mate about Cousins all day. He is desperate to get Ben. I tell him he's stupid. Freo need to adopt the same policy many clubs have done in the past, most notably Hawthorn. Ask yourself is the player your bringing in going to help you win your next premiership. I dont know about you guys but I dont think Freo will win the cup inside 2yrs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Right, because his life wouldn't have turned down the shitter most likely without his drugged up ex teammates acting like it's all great and normal to be in that state. I'm sure he can see with hindsight going to that club was a mistake. Can you name an ex Freo player who has died from a drug overdose? Or a current freo player that has flatlined in the off season?

FYI Einstein, Cousins was using the gear at high school/college with his mate Quaid, you know, that gangster that recently got busted and is going to spend some time in the slammer. Try and get your facts right, Cousins brought that culture to the WCE, not as you would like to think it was.
..and as far as squeaky cleanness goes, you guys are far from it. Jeffery on his own would rival all that we've had and of course there is that fellow that is now with the Tigers that got into the illegal stuff whilst at Freo, not to mention the many deeds of Black and the odd deed of Dodd.
Point the finger, my friend and there will be 3 pointing back at you.

I've been arguing with my Freo mate about Cousins all day. He is desperate to get Ben. I tell him he's stupid. Freo need to adopt the same policy many clubs have done in the past, most notably Hawthorn. Ask yourself is the player your bringing in going to help you win your next premiership. I dont know about you guys but I dont think Freo will win the cup inside 2yrs.

TOA, I can see where you are coming from, and completely agree in regards to Cousins, even if it's not only for those reasons, but honestly, was Hawthorn the best example you could find :eek:

For everyone speculating on whether Cousins is or isn't an addict, how would you even know? The issue is that it's been a big enough problem (addiction or not) for it to have caused some major disruptions in his life. He's trouble and it would be the biggest mistake this club has ever made if they were to go anywhere near him.

FYI Einstein, Cousins was using the gear at high school/college with his mate Quaid, you know, that gangster that recently got busted and is going to spend some time in the slammer. Try and get your facts right, Cousins brought that culture to the WCE, not as you would like to think it was.
..and as far as squeaky cleanness goes, you guys are far from it. Jeffery on his own would rival all that we've had and of course there is that fellow that is now with the Tigers that got into the illegal stuff whilst at Freo, not to mention the many deeds of Black and the odd deed of Dodd.
Point the finger, my friend and there will be 3 pointing back at you.

Sorry bra, your guys were already on the gear before cousins got there. Remember Turley? Remember 92?

And if you read my posts you would see I said every club has players that take drugs. I don't really mind if they do personally, as long as they are professional about it.

As are a lot of AFL players, which the law of averages states Freo has such players. I don't see why we should care if our players casually use drugs, it is a common thing in society... whether its Xanax, Paracetemol, alchohol, cocaine, marijuana, etc. It's only a concern when it impacts their performances significantly, at least to us as supporters. It's not illegal to take the illicit drugs, only to possess them (the law is stupid yet we follow it?).

Ben is a party boy, and probably did them too hard on a few occasions, but in the realm of addicts he isn't quite as bad as the worst... far from it really. His biggest binge was after WCE sacked him and he was depressed... which is where you need to be careful if you have access to such high end drugs as in the wrong mental state you can end up killing yourself ala mainwaring.

That's so people can take them for medical reasons.

Half the teams in the competiton make the 8 each year. You add Cousins, Hasleby, Headland and Hayden to the side that's been competitive each week without winning many games this year and we should play finals in 2009.

Half the teams in the competiton make the 8 each year. You add Cousins, Hasleby, Headland and Hayden to the side that's been competitive each week without winning many games this year and we should play finals in 2009.

We were real compettive aganist Richmond, Melbourne and Geelong. when we beat west Coast the first time the standard was so low I was gearing myself up for a long year.

You surprise me with this talk because generally I respect what you say.

Cousins is 30, has serious hamstring/back prolems and has been out of the game for over a year because is so unprofessional he couldn't hack his drugs.

Heath black is younger, has less issues and - realistically - as much to offer.
Yopu wouldn't be in a rush to sign him up.

Cousins is dead. As a footballer he is dead.

Heath black is younger, has less issues and - realistically - as much to offer.
Yopu wouldn't be in a rush to sign him up.

Cousins is dead. As a footballer he is dead.

Yes... Heath Black is "as good" as Cousins.... that's a laugh. We've played well all year without Black, look at WCE without Cousins and Judd. An absolute rabble, speaks volumes about the quality of those 2.

Making the 8 means nothing, from my point of view Ben would help you make the 8 but then he will be gone in 2yrs and where will you be then. I think you need to give young players jobs in there and let them grow and learn as opposed to continually putting in stop gaps. If you made a prelim this year it would be different.

Making the 8 means nothing, from my point of view Ben would help you make the 8 but then he will be gone in 2yrs and where will you be then. I think you need to give young players jobs in there and let them grow and learn as opposed to continually putting in stop gaps. If you made a prelim this year it would be different.

End of thread. This is the only bloke making sense and he's a Weavil.

Memories, you are a hoax and quite possibly an oxygen thief.

Remove this Banner Ad

Cousins back to Perth - Freo in the hotseat

Remove this Banner Ad

Back