Cousins back to Perth - Freo in the hotseat

Remove this Banner Ad

would you guys honestly go near a 30 year old? i can safely say his career is finished. though if you guys do pick him up good luck with the responsibility.
*cough* Mark Johnson *cough*

If cousins is picked up
We will be paying him a fair sum of our salary cap
Which could be the diff between keeping Warnock and letting him go
Surely the contract terms would be nominated by the club, not Cousins. 1 year contract, base salary + a heavily performance related component. If a team could pick him up for next to nothing, the risk is lessened.

Am I the only one who can see Cousins returning to play AFL for a year and then retiring, just to prove to everybody that he can still do it and to simply stroke his huge ego even more?
I suspect this is the driver. But I have the feeling he could play into mid-30's, Harvey style.

Anyone who doesn't think Cousins would bring value to a club on the field needs to have a rethink. He brings depth. He takes a key tag. The value of which can be seen in the WCE 2006 team vs 2008. Take some key depth out of it, and the rest looks comparitively ordinary (Kerr and Priddis). Which can be seen in the Cats 2007-2008 squads. You have guys like Corey, Kelly and Enright who would not be superstars playing a solo mid role in any other club; they'd be thereabouts. I'll even go as far as to say that Ablett and Bartel playing a 2008 Palmer like solo-role in an team would look well down on form (not ordinary, but not Brownlow material). You can see it now in the Blues - Murphy and Gibbs coming along in leaps and bounds with Judd and Stevens in. You can see it in the Hawks - Hodge, Mithcell, Young, Lewis - al starting to gel together, even in the absence of a ruckman who gives them first use.

Wrt Freo, and this is said a lot, if we could get Hase and Des out in the middle as well, we'd be a better squad. And it's true. Des looked a lot better when he was playing alongside the Lions midfield. Des would be playing better footy for us if we had similar midfield depth. Palmer will look even better with some good players around him. They will all look better. The whole will be bigger than the sum of it's parts.

This is what Freo needs to get it's head around at the trade table. We overpay to get a "gun" mid (Bell, Des, Carr), plonk him in our midfield where they are the shining light, and are surprised they don't look the same in our team. We overvalue them because of the players around them. We don't have a group of midfielders surrounding them that are all peaking at the same time - we have a mish-mash of old and new.

So for Freo. All this being said, I don't want Cousins. I agree he would bring value to our midfield, but I couldn't get over the hypocrisy if we did. He will be a valuable pickup for any team (eg Pies) that do though. Freo need to build a team, play them together for several years (a good midfielder with plenty of support can play consistent footy for 6-8 years), and resist this temptation to top up with a marquee midfielder. Draft Rich/Hartlett/whoever with our first pick. Draft 3 or 4 mids. Preferably from WA so we don't run the risk of them leaving after we develop them (if you don't have to take the risk, why take it?). Draft the ones with great disposal. Draft the mids who will work together to make the best unit (inside, outside...) - if we don't know what that is, bring someone in for assistance who does (Buckley, Hird). Give Sandilands a mid group he can grow with. Acknowledge we won't be Top 4 material in 1 year. Plan for the future, plan for a mid group who can deliver the ball to our forwards.

I just find it hilarious that you of all people accuse someone of not being representative of Freo supporters.

He is still mad because I called him out in a thread a few weeks ago, follows me around like a puppy trying to poop on me. Quite funny. :)

He is still mad because I called him out in a thread a few weeks ago, follows me around like a puppy trying to poop on me. Quite funny. :)
Follow you around? I posted once in one thread.. Thats following you? So far you've followed everyone in this thread then! Also.. Mad about what? You got found out in that thread not me, but hey whatever floats your incredibly small boat :D

Oh and Chops.. I was merely saying that he does not represent Freo supporters on a whole... You know kinda like that "This article represents the views of the author, not the website" kinda thing that you read on some articles.

If we draft Cousins he will be crap. And Freo will cop an absolute pasting in the media because of it.

If we overlook Cousins he will dominate at his new club. And Freo will cop a pasting in the media for ridiculously letting him "slip through our fingers."

I prefer the second option. This way we hopefully snare a 150-200 game player with the draft pick instead of a major gamble on this bloke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are there many 150-200 game players around that were a final round pick? Not saying that it's impossible, but I cant think of anyone.

There's guys like Chris Grant, Dean Kemp and James Hird. But they were from back when the draft was a much more inexact science.

More recently you've got guys like Cox and Hayden from rookie lists though. So there's still real talent to be found late in drafts.

to take Cousins would go against what the new CEO has been saying though.

I'm not completly against it, although I think he is an arrogant w***er.

There's guys like Chris Grant, Dean Kemp and James Hird. But they were from back when the draft was a much more inexact science.

More recently you've got guys like Cox and Hayden from rookie lists though. So there's still real talent to be found late in drafts.

Pick 1 = 1% chance of being a dud.
Pick 75 = 75% chance of being a dud.

Pick 1 = 1% chance of being a dud.
Pick 75 = 75% chance of being a dud.

You wouldn't want to be pick 100 then. ;)

So I guess we have to weigh that up against the chances of Cuz coming back and starring vs him flopping.

I'd put it at maybe 70/30 in favour of him coming in and having an instant impact.

If it's only a PSD pick I really don't see what we have to lose. If he's a dud we just dump him and only lose a PSD pick. If he goes off the rails we just dump him and blame the eagles. But if he turns it all around and plays well we take all the credit and we get an instant A grade midfielder.

He certainly appears to have the fitness to play until he is 33+ you would think, but still he has been out of the game a long time.

I am coming around to agreeing with Memories...May god save my poor soul. :D

On the proviso that:
  • Base salary or just above plus match payments
  • Any sniff of a scandal = goneski. No ifs or buts...if we pick him aup as a pre-season pick and he ****s it up, just cancel his contract. What have we lost?
  • We butcher the list of the marginals and trade like hell for picks and/or players, like a Prismal or Farren Ray or a Nathan Djeukerra who is probably a fair way away from Geelong's senior side.

This means Brett Peake - Trade/delist
Mundy - Traded
Schammer - maybe traded
Browne - Gone
Webster - Gone
Murphy - Traded
Duffield - Traded/delist
Campbell - Trade/Delist
Thornton - trade for a soiled pair of jocks/delist.
We have too many shit players who have one bright moment a season.
Ben may give us one or two years to blood the deluge of players we realistically need to be a force.

*Ducks and runs away* :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Cousins back to Perth - Freo in the hotseat

Remove this Banner Ad

Back