Cousins back to Perth - Freo in the hotseat

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by Benedict Arnold...

Benny is such as darling, and the West Coast Eagles treated him so terribly

:eek:Oh my gosh, how old are you, three?:eek:

Ben is not a darling. He is not even close to being a darling. He is a very shady character, who if he was in the United States would probably have done time for his drug use and his associations with people of the ilk of Kizon. "Darling" people co-operate with law enforcement because it is the Right Thing To Do. The Eagles treated him exactly how he deserved to be treated. They told him, no more incidents or you are gone. He transgressed and they kept their word. He made his bed and he has to lie in it. As much as I think he could help us, I don't want him back. He well and truly put himself and his habits ahead of his family, his club, his supporters and his girlfriend. (Good to see they are together again - that might help him). He screwed us out of a serious tilt at a 4th premiership last year and probably contributed to the loss of one of our best players ever - although I think Judd should have htfu and stayed. No respect for Either of them, and if Freo take him on, then it will confirm EVERYONE's opinion outside of Fremantle Supporters themselves that the Docker's administration is the most inept business model ever perpetrated on an unsuspecting public.

Don't go near him Fremantle. He may bring you more wins, but he will turn on you in the end.

Ben is not a darling. He is not even close to being a darling. He is a very shady character, who if he was in the United States would probably have done time for his drug use and his associations with people of the ilk of Kizon. "Darling" people co-operate with law enforcement because it is the Right Thing To Do. The Eagles treated him exactly how he deserved to be treated. They told him, no more incidents or you are gone. He transgressed and they kept their word. He made his bed and he has to lie in it. As much as I think he could help us, I don't want him back. He well and truly put himself and his habits ahead of his family, his club, his supporters and his girlfriend. (Good to see they are together again - that might help him). He screwed us out of a serious tilt at a 4th premiership last year and probably contributed to the loss of one of our best players ever - although I think Judd should have htfu and stayed. No respect for Either of them, and if Freo take him on, then it will confirm EVERYONE's opinion outside of Fremantle Supporters themselves that the Docker's administration is the most inept business model ever perpetrated on an unsuspecting public.

Don't go near him Fremantle. He may bring you more wins, but he will turn on you in the end.

Wow. :eek:

So many things wrong with this, but I just don't have the heart to go there.

We're thinking of drafting him not marrying him.

And the fact that he would be in jail in America proves nothing except how ridiculously draconian America's drug laws are for a supposedly 'free' society. Hey people, feel free to carry guns around like it's the f**king wild west so kids can go around shooting their classmates every time they have a bad day, but don't dare ingest any recreational substances into your own body.

We're thinking of drafting him not marrying him.

And the fact that he would be in jail in America proves nothing except how ridiculously draconian America's drug laws are for a supposedly 'free' society. Hey people, feel free to carry guns around like it's the f**king wild west so kids can go around shooting their classmates every time they have a bad day, but don't dare ingest any recreational substances into your own body.

Here here. With the way people are going on it's almost like you're asking them to accept Ben as their best man at their wedding. Get off the crack pipe people. McPharlin played for the Hawks, he bleeds purple now. Solomon played for Essendon, he bleeds purple. Bell played for North, he bleeds purple. Ben played for WCE, he will bleed purple.

It's not a coincidence he is training with EAST FREMANTLE, if he had his time over again he would have chosen Freo instead of the WCE I am sure, their culture ****ed him up big time. But at the time you couldn't blame him for wanting to go with the weagles, he grew up with them as did a lot of West Aussies and we didn't have some history like we do now. We will accept Ben like the others, and if he puts his heart into Freo we will cheer for him and respect his football endeavours.

Here here. With the way people are going on it's almost like you're asking them to accept Ben as their best man at their wedding. Get off the crack pipe people. McPharlin played for the Hawks, he bleeds purple now. Solomon played for Essendon, he bleeds purple. Bell played for North, he bleeds purple. Ben played for WCE, he will bleed purple.

Yep, I can see the resemblance between Ben and a very religious man, a very educated and well respected man, and a good bloke. The difference is 2 of those 3 wanted to come home, Bell in particular had a passion for the club and Solly was grateful for the opportunity (as well as reuniting with his mate Harvs)

It's not a coincidence he is training with EAST FREMANTLE, if he had his time over again he would have chosen Freo instead of the WCE I am sure, their culture ****ed him up big time. But at the time you couldn't blame him for wanting to go with the weagles, he grew up with them as did a lot of West Aussies and we didn't have some history like we do now. We will accept Ben like the others, and if he puts his heart into Freo we will cheer for him and respect his football endeavours.

You're right Memories, what other reason could Ben have for training at East Freo than a deep seated desire to play for Freo? No doubt he'd be more than happy to give up his Premiership medallion and exchange it for the wooden spoon he would have picked up at Freo too - who wouldn't? :rolleyes:

American drug laws are draconian? I wouldn't say draconian.. thats more Indonesia/Singapore where you can get the death penalty.

For a country that prides itself on supposedly being the world leader in freedom and civil liberties their drug laws are pretty draconian though.

Not that a rich white boy like Cuz would have seen jail time for possession anyway.

For a country that prides itself on supposedly being the world leader in freedom and civil liberties their drug laws are pretty draconian though.

Not that a rich white boy like Cuz would have seen jail time for possession anyway.
They may pride themselves on that... but in all honesty esti.. did you ever think they were? :p

You're right Memories, what other reason could Ben have for training at East Freo than a deep seated desire to play for Freo? No doubt he'd be more than happy to give up his Premiership medallion and exchange it for the wooden spoon he would have picked up at Freo too - who wouldn't? :rolleyes:

Right, because his life wouldn't have turned down the shitter most likely without his drugged up ex teammates acting like it's all great and normal to be in that state. I'm sure he can see with hindsight going to that club was a mistake. Can you name an ex Freo player who has died from a drug overdose? Or a current freo player that has flatlined in the off season?

With a player of Bens quality at Freo you never know what might have happened either mate, that could have been our premiership in 2006. With a player like Ben at your club KIDS want to play for your team. It's like Pavlich now for us, or Buddy at the hawks. Without marquee players you don't attract the "I want to play for that team" type support. Who knows who he would have brought into the vacuum with him. Who knows what example he could have set to the schammers, brownes, Siegerts, medhursts,etc when it comes to training and what he puts into the game.

Look at the weagles fans who still ADORE Ben, just like some of us would adore Pavlich if something similar happened to him. Players like that are rare, and you don't just pass them over due to some mistakes they made in the past.

You guys act like Fremantle is the answer to all the world's problems, and the club is a paragon of virtue. If you guys HAD picked Cuz as a Father/Son pick, (like you could have done) you would have traded him early for a washed up Essendon reject. I mean look at the quality you guys have pissed away over the years. White, Farmer, Bell, Mcleod ( the chance to draft him anyway) just to name a few. I mean, you guys traded the opportunity to draft Chris Judd, and what do you have to show for it? (I say you guys, I mean the club, not you in particular) The only thing you have to show for the 2001 draft is Luke McPharlin, because Polak and Croad have gone. (We are in no better a position now re that draft, I admit, but we did get our premiership)Granted McPharlin is great but can you imagine if you had used picks one and what was it, 4? to get Judd and Hodge? Hopefully this new CEO will right the ship for you and you will draft some real quality over the next couple of years and you will contend. But if you had drafted Cousins back then, guaranteed something would have happened and he would have been gone after his first contract.

If you guys HAD picked Cuz as a Father/Son pick, (like you could have done)...

No we couldn't have.

Under the nonsensical AFL rules back then he was given the choice of Freo, Geelong or the eagles. He chose badly.

Under today's rules he would have been a Freo player.

Granted McPharlin is great but can you imagine if you had used picks one and what was it, 4? to get Judd and Hodge?

And how could we have picked one of them up at no.4 considering they were both top 3 draft picks?

Perhaps you should stick to baseball or something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you hadn't traded your priority pick to Hawthorn for Croad and McPharlin, you could have chosen Judd or Hodge, St Kilda would still have taken Ball, the Eagles would probably have taken Polak (that was the talk back then anyway) and then you would have had four to take whoever St Kilda didn't take with pick 2. So conceivably you could have gotten Judd and Hodge. It's hypthetical and a moot point, but the fact remains, Fremantle has not had a good record from trading and drafts.

Yeah Baseball. Full of REAL drug cheats.

If you hadn't traded your priority pick to Hawthorn for Croad and McPharlin, you could have chosen Judd or Hodge, St Kilda would still have taken Ball, the Eagles would probably have taken Polak...

If the eagles were going to take Polak then why didn't they? He was still available at their pick.

Best case scenario we would've taken Hodge and Polak. Worst case Polak and Sampi. I'd certainly rather McPharlin than the latter and even Hodge vs McPharlin isn't that much of a loss to us. Quality KPP's don't grow on trees.

What I said was Judd or Hodge - I should have said just Judd. I don't recall the Eagles being all that interested in Hodge - in fact, iirc, it was a surprise that the Eagles picked Judd, because everyone was saying they were going to take Polak. I think they would have taken Polak if you had taken Judd, (with your traded first pick) then you would have been free to take Hodge, but you would have probably taken Sampi, as he was a West Australian and a Fremantle boy to boot.

I hope you understand I am not trying to troll here. I am just trying to have a friendly conversation.

Or maybe we take Judd and Saints take Hodge?

Or maybe we take Ball and Saints take Judd?

It's pointless trying to second guess history.

No doubt. But at 3:15 am on a Sunday on the Kwinana Strip what else is there to do?

Isn't there a chat room on BF somewhere?

I think it had to do with what might have happened to Cousins if he had chosen Fremantle, then I went off on the tangent about Fremantle having arguably the worst trading/drafting record in the past ten years. Like I said, hopefully the new guy will right the ship. This is geat, I would have been banned from Dockerland by now.

What do you think, another pav4aa alias? peppy?

I hope we don't go anywhere near Cousins.

Definatley up to no good, whoever it is stronz. Trump was bloody good though !

Kuzons playing at Freo ? Make it happen for the Derby, and watch that mob up the road go mental :)

The pies coming over the fence could ease the African food crisis :D

Right, because his life wouldn't have turned down the shitter most likely without his drugged up ex teammates acting like it's all great and normal to be in that state. I'm sure he can see with hindsight going to that club was a mistake. Can you name an ex Freo player who has died from a drug overdose? Or a current freo player that has flatlined in the off season?

No, but I do know of a former Freo player who allegedly has 2 strikes, so I'd suggest there was at least one player using drugs at the time Cousins was flying high. What's to say Cousins wouldn't have led that particular player even further astray? It may very well have been a Freo player flatling then.

With a player of Bens quality at Freo you never know what might have happened either mate, that could have been our premiership in 2006. With a player like Ben at your club KIDS want to play for your team. It's like Pavlich now for us, or Buddy at the hawks. Without marquee players you don't attract the "I want to play for that team" type support. Who knows who he would have brought into the vacuum with him. Who knows what example he could have set to the schammers, brownes, Siegerts, medhursts,etc when it comes to training and what he puts into the game.

I don't think Freo have ever just been a 'Cousins' away from a flag. As you say, we've got Pav as our marquee player - why would want anything else? Particularly such a classy guy as Ben?

Look at the weagles fans who still ADORE Ben, just like some of us would adore Pavlich if something similar happened to him. Players like that are rare, and you don't just pass them over due to some mistakes they made in the past.

Are you suggesting weagles fans are rational? I beg to differ :D

I have to agree with the general gist of this.

IMHO it is just too much of a risk. Cousins is a loose cannon and I cannot see anyone at our club (or anywhere really) who'd be able to control him and get him to focus.

He may well be one of the fittest, skilled and best trainers going around, but he will always look after himself first and the team second. He just acts like he reckons he's above it all.

That being said, this is the AFL and winning is everything. :eek: This fact alone makes it tempting. But Freo has too much to lose - let Collingwood or someone else take the risk.

I don't know how many of you posting here know Ben personally, are parents have family and friends that have drug or any other addictions. Ben has a serious life threathing illness. Yes, he like many others who have experimented in drugs made bad decisions and he is paying the price. To say the he alone destroyed West Coast is just so stupid. West Coast was very aware that Ben was in such a bad way that he needed professional help years ago. He was not capable of making rational decisions or changing his behavior. You can say that he did not care about the club and only cared about himself. You could also say the club only cared about success and not about Ben. The fact is that Ben is now a very ill young man and football and the culture of football clubs (The AFL still not released number of positive drug tests that was due in Feb? I think) has contributed to that illness. There seems to be conflicting views that playing football again may help him or may not. The problem being that he should never have returned last year, as there was a 99% chance that he would relapse. The AFL cleared him to play and of course and they have to again. They will be very careful this time and there will be very strict conditions. This time it is not about Ben coming back to win some games! I hope that it's about someone helping Ben recover! and he will more than likely play a few good games for probably little money. I think Mick Malthouse if the only one that can help him and as much as I want him at Freo. He needs Mick.!

Remove this Banner Ad

Cousins back to Perth - Freo in the hotseat

Remove this Banner Ad

Back