Draft Expert Davo-27's 2024 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Rough 1st round Phantom Draft

1. Rich - Harry Armstrong - start the rebuild with an exciting KPF
2. NM - Josh Smillie - North have never had a big mid so he offers something unique, FOS and Faull considered
3. WCE - Finn O'Sullivan - best mid for a rebuilding aging injury riddled list
4. Bris - Levi Ashcroft - taking the FS here, small forw turned goal kicking mid (bid)
5. GCS - Leo Lombard - quality combative mid (bid)
6. Adel - Sid Draper - one of the premier mids in this draft pool
7. StK - Jagga Smith - accumulator mid
8. Freo - Sam Lalor - forw mid, strong mark and good kick at goal, x factor
9. Melb - Jonty Faull - another quality young KPF and I think the Dee's are in the market for a tall
10. Ess - Luke Trainor - intercept def will allow Redman to play more wing
11. Haw - Taj Hotton - take the gamble he comes back from the ACL playing amazing footy
12. Freo - Tobie Travaglia - adding to their intercepting defense
13. Geel - Harvey Langford - rebuilding their midfield
14. Carl - Ben Camporeale - FS Bid, adding a contested inside mid (bid)
15. GWS - Xavier Lindsay - outside inside mid
16. Ess - Isaac Kako - one of the premium small forwards (bid)
17. GCS - Jobe Shanahan - great hands for a marking KPF
18. Freo - Bo Allan - contested tall mid from WA
19. Syd - Harry O'Farrell - they are in need of a KPD and they get one of the best available
20. Syd - Joe Berry - one of the best small forwards in the draft pool with great flexibility with roles
21. GCS - Murphy Reid - clean midfielder that can kick goals

That's a good first effort
Will be interesting where Lalor goes think he can be best player in this draft

That's a good first effort
Will be interesting where Lalor goes think he can be best player in this draft
I think that this is a very good assessment, he has the class, the forward craft, when he gets a full pre-season into him his midfield craft will be elite in my opinion, some players have that something, swagger, well guess what, he has it. Contrary to popular opinion their are two players in this draft who are :zap::zap: and they are Sam Lalor and Harry Armstrong, and literally they could go anywhere, but these are my two risers.

Rough 1st round Phantom Draft

1. Rich - Harry Armstrong - start the rebuild with an exciting KPF
2. NM - Josh Smillie - North have never had a big mid so he offers something unique, FOS and Faull considered
3. WCE - Finn O'Sullivan - best mid for a rebuilding aging injury riddled list
4. Bris - Levi Ashcroft - taking the FS here, small forw turned goal kicking mid (bid)
5. GCS - Leo Lombard - quality combative mid (bid)
6. Adel - Sid Draper - one of the premier mids in this draft pool
7. StK - Jagga Smith - accumulator mid
8. Freo - Sam Lalor - forw mid, strong mark and good kick at goal, x factor
9. Melb - Jonty Faull - another quality young KPF and I think the Dee's are in the market for a tall
10. Ess - Luke Trainor - intercept def will allow Redman to play more wing
11. Haw - Taj Hotton - take the gamble he comes back from the ACL playing amazing footy
12. Freo - Tobie Travaglia - adding to their intercepting defense
13. Geel - Harvey Langford - rebuilding their midfield
14. Carl - Ben Camporeale - FS Bid, adding a contested inside mid (bid)
15. GWS - Xavier Lindsay - outside inside mid
16. Ess - Isaac Kako - one of the premium small forwards (bid)
17. GCS - Jobe Shanahan - great hands for a marking KPF
18. Freo - Bo Allan - contested tall mid from WA
19. Syd - Harry O'Farrell - they are in need of a KPD and they get one of the best available
20. Syd - Joe Berry - one of the best small forwards in the draft pool with great flexibility with roles
21. GCS - Murphy Reid - clean midfielder that can kick goals
Awesome draft for Fremantle. If we take Berry instead of Allan that would be even better.

Grouping Players into tiers from my PoV

Pick 1 contenders - Armstrong, O'Sullivan, J.Smith, Smillie, L.Ashcroft, Lombard, Draper (7)

First Round contenders - Trainor, Lalor, Travaglia, Faull, Hotton, Langford, Lindsay, Reid, B.Camporeale, Berry, Kako, Shanahan, O'Farrell, Allan, Welsh, Moraes, Hynes, Gross, J.Whitlock, M.Whitlock, Urquhart, Gerreyn, L.Camporeale, Ough, Boxshall, Tauru (26)

Players likely to be drafted - Marshall, Dodson, Murphy, Ivisic, Champion, Bradley, Sims, Nicholls, Alger, Oliver, Barrett, Davis, Dattoli, Delana, Cole, Depaoli-Kubank, Charleson, L.Smith, Johnson, Mraz, Hargraves, Retschko, Jaques, Dolan, McInerney, Lockwood, Kerr, Day-Wicks, Unwin, Burke. (30)

Pick 1 contenders - Armstrong, O'Sullivan, J.Smith, Smillie, L.Ashcroft, Lombard, Draper (7)

First Round contenders - Trainor, Lalor, Travaglia, Faull, Hotton, Langford, Lindsay, Reid, B.Camporeale, Berry, Kako, Shanahan, O'Farrell, Allan, Welsh, Moraes, Hynes, Gross, J.Whitlock, M.Whitlock, Urquhart, Gerreyn, L.Camporeale, Ough, Boxshall, Tauru (26)

Players likely to be drafted - Marshall, Dodson, Murphy, Ivisic, Champion, Bradley, Sims, Nicholls, Alger, Oliver, Barrett, Davis, Dattoli, Delana, Cole, Depaoli-Kubank, Charleson, L.Smith, Johnson, Mraz, Hargraves, Retschko, Jaques, Dolan, McInerney, Lockwood, Kerr, Day-Wicks, Unwin, Burke. (30)
Not sure Lucas Camporeale is a first round contender. Rookie list at best

Not sure Lucas Camporeale is a first round contender. Rookie list at best
Why are Carlton Fans so Pessimistic? I think Ben has pulled ahead as an inside mid, but Lucas has value as an outside player, in the u16s they were in the top 5 at SA in their champs winning team and in the u18s they were top 5 for SA but for a less successful team, I think their values are approx pick 15 for Ben and 30 for Lucas, but they could slide a bit as clubs do less research into FS players...

Last edited:
Why are Carlton Fans so Pessimistic? I think Ben has pulled ahead as an inside mid, but Lucas has value as an outside player, in the u16s they were in the top 5 at SA in their champs winning team and in the u18s they were top 5 for SA but for a less successful team, I think their values are approx pick 15 for Ben and 30 for Lucas, but they could slide a bit as clubs do less research into FS players...
Good to hear you value them that high. General consensus seems that Lucas is not rated as high as Ben and was not considered a top 50 prospect. Interesting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're claiming it's the general consensus as of now.

Unless you can give me more than just Twomey, and in fact a majority, then no we don't.

I think you've simply misunderstood the term 'general consensus'.
OMG What are you taking about?? I don't have to give you anything. Nobody will know where they get picked up until the draft in November. One can assume and hypothesise. Personally I'd rather get the information from a draft expert then big footy. Each to their own.

FWIW here's another link where they state Lucas to be a late draft pick out potential rookie selection.

Last edited:

Great year to have multiple picks in the top 35!

OMG What are you taking about??

That the opinion of one person does not constitute ‘general consensus’.

Sorry, I thought that was obvious.

Edit: I’ve just seen your edit, adding in a Jon Ralph article. That’s not the support you think it is.

Last edited:
Good to hear you value them that high. General consensus seems that Lucas is not rated as high as Ben and was not considered a top 50 prospect. Interesting.
Some good SA U18's watchers actually think Lucas as a more outside player than Ben could very well turn out the better talent.

If Leo Lombard slips to #10 people will be kicking themselves in years too come, I see him like Steele Sidebottom putting in performances that are truly amazing and still not in the top 3 conversation because he is a bit smaller, but no use being a certain size if your not smart enough to know where to go and how to use it. The guy is kicking 3 and having 22 possessions 11 score involvements against men in the best competition below AFL.

Cal Twomey is by far the best Journo to listen to, but I don't agree on all his calls, but if you choose his opinion over mine, that's fine...

As for Lombard I think he is likely to be bid on between pick 4-7, only knocks on him were he wanted to fight someone after a game, so needs to respect his opponents a bit more, moves well, wins a lot of it, performing at state level for 2 years, can kick a goal, size holds him back a touch, but looks like a solid top tier prospect imo.

If Leo Lombard slips to #10 people will be kicking themselves in years too come, I see him like Steele Sidebottom putting in performances that are truly amazing and still not in the top 3 conversation because he is a bit smaller, but no use being a certain size if your not smart enough to know where to go and how to use it. The guy is kicking 3 and having 22 possessions 11 score involvements against men in the best competition below AFL.
I hope the eagles bid on him

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Archer Day-Wicks is hard to place, he is great in bursts, can take a big grab, kick a big goal and has that xfactor, but can go missing for long periods of time, one of those that if he can become more consistant could be a steal.
Hey mate, judging by Richmond who is potentially leaving etc wouldn’t Richmond consider drafting Archie Luwodyke for a forward with there first pick over Armstrong. I know this is a 2024 thread, but I seriously think Richmond lack class in the midfield where FOS stands out. I assume tigers will probably be bottom 3 but out the three you have posted only Archie Luwodyke seems best fit, Replaces lynch.

Hey mate, judging by Richmond who is potentially leaving etc wouldn’t Richmond consider drafting Archie Luwodyke for a forward with there first pick over Armstrong. I know this is a 2024 thread, but I seriously think Richmond lack class in the midfield where FOS stands out. I assume tigers will probably be bottom 3 but out the three you have posted only Archie Luwodyke seems best fit, Replaces lynch.
It depends on which picks Richmond have access to in 2025 if they pick up Archie Ludowyke, he should go top 3 with Dyson Sharp a top quality player from SA and i think Oliver Greeves who i really liked last year and has been a bit injury interrupted this year but i think could go early too, this year Richmond may well pick up FOS, but he hasn't got a great group of performances in his draft year to feel confident on using pick 1 on him, they could also choose another of the handful competing for pick 1 as there is no guarantee pick 1 as far as I can tell this year.

Harry Armstrong is a good height and build, I liked that he took responsibility and won the u18 champsionships with his contested marking and 5 goal haul in somewhat of a grand final after Vic country threatened to take the game away from Vic Metro, I also liked what I saw in pre-season from Armstrong when Sandringham crushed Oakleigh at RSEA, he was injured and so missed a couple of games during the CTL season, but has a good record when he has played CTL, his combine results will be important, but I think he is top quality and at the same level of most of the mids who could go pick 1 and seeing as KPFs are harder to find and you have access to an early pick i thought investing in a key forward is a likely possibility, or the Kangas could pick him because other than Larkey they lack KPF options other than makeshift forw/def Pink.

If you don't finish in the bottom 2 next year you might not have the option to pick Archie Ludowyke and trading into the top 2 picks is near impossible, so why not Harry this year? Unless you want to roll the dice on FOS coming good?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Expert Davo-27's 2024 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back