Draft Expert Davo-27's 2024 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

If the Allies are as strong as their watchers are saying, we are going to have a very exciting 18's championship because I can assure all and sundry WA has a very strong list. It could all go pear shaped with injuries and early developers who go backwards but so far so good and new players are being found each week. So different to the 2024 list which has been a struggle since day 1.

Edit: mate can you put the Vic Country players in grey just so those of us interstate get an idea who they will rep?
the u17s futures games were not the best games in which to judge who will be strong in the u18s next year, but i do think WA have the strongest group of players next year, the vic teams arent as stacked as they have been in recent years and the allies seem decent, SA im unsure of atm, so if i had to guess WA are in pole position for the u18s, but anything can happen.

i can just bold the vic country players?

atm for 2025 these players seem to be the best players that ive seen

WA: Rodriguez, Kelly, Hart, Curtin, Swadling, Cassidy, Hill, Whan, Montgomery, Longmuir (10)
SA: Sharp, Oudshoorn-Bennier, Roberts-Thompson, Schubert, Kellaway (5)
Allies: Uwland, Annable, Patterson, Corrigan, Geesu, Carmichael, Chamberlain (7)
VM: Ludowyke, Greeves, Emmett, Dovaston, McGuane, Dalton, Duff-Tytler, Bamert, Grij, Burton (10)
VC: Onley, Hibbins-Hargreaves, Ah-Mu, Duursma, Scapin, O'Keefe, Morphett, Lewis, Russell (9)

WA: Rodriguez, Kelly, Hart, Curtin, Swadling, Cassidy, Hill, Whan, Montgomery, Longmuir (10)
Allies: Uwland, Annable, Patterson, Corrigan, Geesu, Carmichael, Chamberlain (7)
VM: Ludowyke, Greeves, Emmett, Dovaston, McGuane, Dalton, Duff-Tytler, Bamert, Grij, Burton (10)
VC: Onley, Hibbins-Hargreaves, Ah-Mu, Duursma, Scapin, O'Keefe, Morphett, Lewis, Russell (9)
Can you give us any info on Louis Kellaway? Player type? Strengths/Weaknesses etc? Hard to get info/footage on SA kids.

Can you give us any info on Louis Kellaway? Player type? Strengths/Weaknesses etc? Hard to get info/footage on SA kids.
he is playing midfield at u18s sanfl level for Sturt as an underager, averaging 19d, 5m, 4t, 3.5cl, he played well at the u16s champs other than that i havnt seen much of him, but he stood out moving well in the midfield and making good decisions, this is just an early guide so its not the most accurate rankings as my rankings change the more i see the prospects play.

Last edited:
Don't forget that Wesley Walley Jnr (S), Oscar Willis (CL), Koby Evans (P), Charlie Banfield (CL) and Matthew Becker (PT) were all part of the WA state 18's squad this year. I don't doubt that being part of the 18's academy as below agers will see them propel forward. Such an advantage. Walley Jnr is one of the most gifted players I've seen for a while. Did ok in his one match for WA 18's kicking 2 goals. We'll see if he can translate moments of immense brilliance into a four quarter effort. If he does play a 4 quarter game, he'll kick 10.

Beau Addinsall from the Suns academy should be in that Allies list.

A few additions to 2025 rankings

Sam Swadling - West Perth 187cm
Ryder Corrigan - Murray/GWS/NSW 185cm
Thomas Burton - Western 178cm
Sam Lewis - Dand 186cm
Jasper Russell - Dand 176cm
Noah Chamberlain - Syd A - 192cm
Lachlan Carmichael - Syd A - 183cm

Good to see Harry Morphett playing again after breaking his leg at the u16s, he looks like a very talented player at the u16s and I hope he comes back to playing good footy again in his draft year next year and getting some confidence playing this year.
Swadling been my favourite kid too watch in WA, genuine gun hard at it quick and dual sided looking like a elite wingman

Thanks mate. Valid opinion. Will be interesting to see how he goes in a team oriented side as what I’ve seen he tends to burn his teammates at CTL.
Davo-27 circling back on this. Did u see the BH v Werribee game? Or anyone else? It wasn’t Moreas greatest game. Some sloppy skill errors. With the depth of the draft being strong could he slide past rnd 2?

Davo-27 circling back on this. Did u see the BH v Werribee game? Or anyone else? It wasn’t Moreas greatest game. Some sloppy skill errors. With the depth of the draft being strong could he slide past rnd 2?
No I didn't see the Box Hill game, but his skill errors are common knowledge, there are good players in the AFL that have skill errors, Treloar, Tom Mitchell, Taranto, Dangerfield, Frost are some of the worst offenders of skill errors, yet they are useful.

Ryder Corrigan - Murray/GWS/NSW 185cm
I wondered where I'd heard this name before, then I realised he's the partner of Ava Usher, who RMC has as the favourite to be the #1 pick in the 2025 AFLW draft. Which is entirely irrelevant to either of their draft prospects, but so far as I know, we've never had a top professional men's and women's player in a relationship. Once that happens, I think there will be louder calls to get rid of all Parent-Child rules in drafting, because people will fear any children they have will have absolutely superb genetics for playing the game. There have been several basketballers whose parents were both professional athletes, like Yao Ming and Victor Wembanyama.

I wondered where I'd heard this name before, then I realised he's the partner of Ava Usher, who RMC has as the favourite to be the #1 pick in the 2025 AFLW draft. Which is entirely irrelevant to either of their draft prospects, but so far as I know, we've never had a top professional men's and women's player in a relationship. Once that happens, I think there will be louder calls to get rid of all Parent-Child rules in drafting, because people will fear any children they have will have absolutely superb genetics for playing the game. There have been several basketballers whose parents were both professional athletes, like Yao Ming and Victor Wembanyama.

Mon Conti and Sydney Stack were an odd couple for a while, weren't they?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quality of KPP and their range will be influenced by this year's finals series, there are a few that I think will go higher than some in the media are ranking them, The KPP I think should go in the 1st round

1.Harry Armstrong I have been bullish on since the champs, I'm curious if his stocks rise or fall in the coming weeks, he still has something to prove
2.Luke Trainor has had a wonderful year, I was a fan of what he was doing in preseason so it didn't surprise me when he had a big year this year
3.Jobe Shanahan was another I was bullish on, then after seeing his lack of goals last year and early this year it made me question if his obvious marking ability and quality footy was enough to have him go high, since then he has kicked a few bags in champs and vfl footy to give me confidence to rate him higher
4.Harry O'Farrell unfortunately was injured during the champs and didn't get to shut down or dominate the air, but his futures game and AFL Academy games show he has class.
5.Jonty Faull has been injured for most of the season and had a couple of champs games, I've always thought he was a first rounder type, first couple of games back from injury was kicking bags of 5 or something ridiculous in the CTL, then soon after a few in the champs.
6.Kayle Gerreyn is an outside chance to go 1st round, he is tearing the wafl colts apart in the ruck and up forward, a combative ruck with the movement of someone much smaller and the frame of a bull ruck who can kick long goals.

Jack and Matt Whitlock I think have talent, but they both didn't play well enough at the champs and have been patchy at CTL level, so I think both are likely to go 2nd round from my pov, Even though they seem to have outstanding athletic profiles, they couldn't handle the pressure of the champs which is disappointing, Dodson had a couple big games and a couple average games in the ruck at the champs, but not highly enough rated imo to go 1st round.

Last edited:
Quality of KPP and their range will be influenced by this year's finals series, there are a few that I think will go higher than some in the media are ranking them, The KPP I think should go in the 1st round

1.Harry Armstrong I have been bullish on since the champs, I'm curious if his stocks rise or fall in the coming weeks, he still has something to prove
2.Luke Trainor has had a wonderful year, I was a fan of what he was doing in preseason so it didn't surprise me when he had a big year this year
3.Jobe Shanahan was another I was bullish on, then after seeing his lack of goals last year and early this year it made me question if his obvious marking ability and quality footy was enough to have him go high, since then he has kicked a few bags in champs and vfl footy to give me confidence to rate him higher
4.Harry O'Farrell unfortunately was injured during the champs and didn't get to shut down or dominate the air
5.Jonty Faull has been injured for most of the season and had a couple of champs games, I've always thought he was a first rounder type
6.Kayle Gerreyn is an outside chance to go 1st round, he is tearing the wafl colts apart in the ruck and up forward, a combative ruck with the movement of someone much smaller and the frame of a bull ruck who can kick long goals.

Jack and Matt Whitlock I think have talent, but they both didn't play well enough at the champs and have been patchy at CTL level, so I think both are likely to go 2nd round from my pov, Even though they seem to have outstanding athletic profiles, they couldn't handle the pressure of the champs which is disappointing, Dodson had a couple big games and a couple average games in the ruck at the champs, but not highly enough rated imo to go 1st round.
Great summary thanks very much. Been saying for a little while on our board that I wouldn’t be surprised if the Swans take both the Whitlock boys if they end up with pick 17-18 and also 19. That’s the earliest I can see them going, both also seemed to often fumble below their knees at the champs compared to some of the other KPP prospects, perhaps as you say due to the increased pressure.

Wondering if you also had any thoughts on lower ranked KPD Clancy Dennis? Big tank and obviously had a good champs to be named AA CHB. Little undersized for a KPD currently at 194.7 but looks a really good prospect.

4.Harry O'Farrell unfortunately was injured during the champs and didn't get to shut down or dominate the air, but his futures game and AFL Academy games show he has class.
5.Jonty Faull has been injured for most of the season and had a couple of champs games, I've always thought he was a first rounder type, first couple of games back from injury was kicking bags of 5 or something ridiculous in the CTL, then soon after in the champs.

Was like "how is this descriptive lay of the land coming from a newbie?"

Turns out you changed your DP.

Threw me off course Davo.

Great summary thanks very much. Been saying for a little while on our board that I wouldn’t be surprised if the Swans take both the Whitlock boys if they end up with pick 17-18 and also 19. That’s the earliest I can see them going, both also seemed to often fumble below their knees at the champs compared to some of the other KPP prospects, perhaps as you say due to the increased pressure.

Wondering if you also had any thoughts on lower ranked KPD Clancy Dennis? Big tank and obviously had a good champs to be named AA CHB. Little undersized for a KPD currently at 194.7 but looks a really good prospect.
It's weird, I liked Clancy Dennis when I casually watched the champs, but didn't when I was analysing the games afterwards, I think he's in that position where if a club likes him, he could go late or in the rookie draft, I've noticed his name floating around, so people have noticed him.

5.Jonty Faull has been injured for most of the season and had a couple of champs games, I've always thought he was a first rounder type, first couple of games back from injury was kicking bags of 5 or something ridiculous in the CTL, then soon after a few in the champs.

Thoughts on Tom Sims as a KPF?

Charlie West has interest, another that has had injury issues in his top age year, athletic attributes, sub 3sec 20m and as good as any of the talls in this draft with his overhead contested marking.
Recruiters obviously haven't forgotten his form prior to 2024 with a National Combine invite?

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Expert Davo-27's 2024 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back