Draft Expert Davo-27's 2024 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

atm for 2025 these players seem to be the best players that ive seen

WA: Rodriguez, Kelly, Hart, Curtin, Swadling, Cassidy, Hill, Whan, Montgomery, Longmuir (10)
SA: Sharp, Oudshoorn-Bennier, Roberts-Thompson, Schubert, Kellaway (5)
Allies: Uwland, Annable, Patterson, Corrigan, Geesu, Carmichael, Chamberlain (7)
VM: Ludowyke, Greeves, Emmett, Dovaston, McGuane, Dalton, Duff-Tytler, Bamert, Grij, Burton (10)
VC: Onley, Hibbins-Hargreaves, Ah-Mu, Duursma, Scapin, O'Keefe, Morphett, Lewis, Russell (9)
Phillipou and Cumming should be around the mark. Kellaway and Roberts-Thompson have work to do.

I wondered where I'd heard this name before, then I realised he's the partner of Ava Usher, who RMC has as the favourite to be the #1 pick in the 2025 AFLW draft. Which is entirely irrelevant to either of their draft prospects, but so far as I know, we've never had a top professional men's and women's player in a relationship. Once that happens, I think there will be louder calls to get rid of all Parent-Child rules in drafting, because people will fear any children they have will have absolutely superb genetics for playing the game. There have been several basketballers whose parents were both professional athletes, like Yao Ming and Victor Wembanyama.
I know one of our academy girls is/was going out with one of our academy boys, and at least one of them was drafted to us.

If the Allies are as strong as their watchers are saying, we are going to have a very exciting 18's championship because I can assure all and sundry WA has a very strong list. It could all go pear shaped with injuries and early developers who go backwards but so far so good and new players are being found each week. So different to the 2024 list which has been a struggle since day 1.

Edit: mate can you put the Vic Country players in grey just so those of us interstate get an idea who they will rep?
Allies 2025 > Allies 2023 group

Gosh, imagine one sport having particular physical traits more suited to it than to other sports. Mind-bending!
Except AFL doesn't. It takes many types. Small ball winners and goal sneaks, outside elite runners, taller KPP's. You had to realise that your comment wasn't accurate before you hit the "post reply" button.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Except AFL doesn't. It takes many types. Small ball winners and goal sneaks, outside elite runners, taller KPP's. You had to realise that your comment wasn't accurate before you hit the "post reply" button.
Yeah, the sport really values a lack of speed, strength and reaction time. There are so many positions suited to those traits.

Yeah, the sport really values a lack of speed, strength and reaction time. There are so many positions suited to those traits.
Man, I don't know what you're on. You don't believe Dunkley and his missus, an elite level netballer won't produce kids capable of playing aussie rules at an elite level if that was the sport they chose? They both have genes that would suit the game.

So to would Aish and his ex Morgan Mitchell, gees she'd probably be bringing the superior athletic genes to that relationship.

Most AFL players aren't elite level athletes. Those types usually pursue a sporting career as, I don't know, olympians or sports that pay a hell of a lot more, like basketball.
The thing that bothers me is that the average height of an Australian male is 179-180cm.

The average height of an AFL player is around 192cm.

We are making our game or should I say taking our game from the regular person of regular height.

It won't end well.
The average game day height for most teams is ~188cm.

Still your point stands. But that's probably been the case in every generation.

The thing that bothers me is that the average height of an Australian male is 179-180cm.

The average height of an AFL player is around 192cm.

We are making our game or should I say taking our game from the regular person of regular height.

It won't end well.
Agreed mate

Man, I don't know what you're on. You don't believe Dunkley and his missus, an elite level netballer won't produce kids capable of playing aussie rules at an elite level if that was the sport they chose? They both have genes that would suit the game.

So to would Aish and his ex Morgan Mitchell, gees she'd probably be bringing the superior athletic genes to that relationship.

Most AFL players aren't elite level athletes. Those types usually pursue a sporting career as, I don't know, olympians or sports that pay a hell of a lot more, like basketball.

The average game day height for most teams is ~188cm.

Still your point stands. But that's probably been the case in every generation.
It's not heading in the right direction....if it matched average height then no problem mate. We are going down the path of basketball. Taking the game away from regular folk. I wonder what the height was of an American basketball player in 1950?

Man, I don't know what you're on. You don't believe Dunkley and his missus, an elite level netballer won't produce kids capable of playing aussie rules at an elite level if that was the sport they chose?
I didn't say any such thing.

They both have genes that would suit the game.
And get this, two champion footballers would have genes even better suited to football.

Most AFL players aren't elite level athletes.
I think the athletic traits they have are very suited to the game of Australian rules football. In fact, I'd be surprised if they weren't.

It's not heading in the right direction....if it matched average height then no problem mate. We are going down the path of basketball. Taking the game away from regular folk. I wonder what the height was of an American basketball player in 1950?
The ABA and NBA were already established in the 50's. It was already a sport that looked for taller athletes.

I didn't say any such thing.

And get this, two champion footballers would have genes even better suited to football.
This I dispute, because football skills are learned, not inherited through genetics.

Pretty sure Harley Reids parents were a country footballer and a country netballer. Or maybe that was the Duursma parents, come to think of the doco they appeared in.

I think the athletic traits they have are very suited to the game of Australian rules football. In fact, I'd be surprised if they weren't.

Still tall. Elgin Baylor was a small forward at 196cm. Jerry West 191cm, the NBA logo is his silhouette.

We're effectively two generations on from them, so today's nba player is taller.
Wilt Chamberlain was 7'1, Bill Russell was 6'11, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was 7', Magic Johnson was 6'9, Larry Bird was 6'9, Michael Jordan was 6'6, Charles Barkley was 6'4, Karl Malone was 6'10, Patrick Ewing was 6'11, Scottie Pippin was 6'9, Dennis Rodman was 6'9, Tim Duncan was 6'11. There were also players like Spud Webb and Mugsy Bogues who were around 5'6 and could still dunk. Is the average NBA player taller nowadays than 70 years ago, yes. I would also state that there were still 7' players back then who were powerful, athletic, and arguably more gifted than a lot of the modern day b'ballers.

If you have a look at the Crows list, they have 14 players in 2024 who were 6' tall or shorter, and that consists of a midfield of Laird, Crouch, Berry, Rankine and Rachele, with only Dawson being a taller mainstay of the midfield when not required to plug holes down back.

The other thing to remember is that every generation the average height increases across the general population. My grandfather was 5'8, my dad is 5'10, I am 6'2, and my daughter when fully grown is going to be around 6'. It only makes sense that the average height of an AFL footballer is going to increase as the average height of the Australian population increases. Regardless of height, if a person has the talent, drive, skills and connections, they have the potential to be drafted. Eddie Betts was 5'8 and arguably the greatest small forward in the history of the AFL, Brent Harvey was 5'9 and is the games record holder, Michael Tuck was 5'10 and was the games record holder for about 30 years, Kevin Bartlett was 5'9 and was the games record holder before Tuck. There have been taller players across the history of football and there have been shorter players, height is not the determining factor of getting drafted.

Still tall. Elgin Baylor was a small forward at 196cm. Jerry West 191cm, the NBA logo is his silhouette.

We're effectively two generations on from them, so today's nba player is taller.
Not that much taller although the smaller players are taller, the bulk of the centres aren't really taller.its not required in today's 3 point game
Chet and wemby are the new breed of 3 point centres

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Expert Davo-27's 2024 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back