Review Dees v Big Jack's Hacks: the Good, Bad and Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo posters: please refrain from coming into this thread to troll/bait about the score review from last night.

Final warning – infractions will be handed out if this continues.

Can cop a loss against a decent side, but that was a bedshit from the beginning. We’re probably paying a decent amount to miss the top 4 from here, get on it, not seeing that 21 backside from this group, just 22 v2.

2021 seeming more and more like a lightning in a bottle moment that won’t be repeated.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

They only really overturn them when the ball is touched (see fingers bend, deviation etc.), not the other way. Looked like a pretty clear goal to me but knew it wasn't going to be overturned as soon as the soft call was made. The quality and frame rate of the cameras is a joke and I reckon there'd need to be a huge amount of daylight between the player and the ball to overturn a touched called based on the 2004 Sony HandyCam footage.

Aside from this though we should have beaten them comfortably given their outs. Grundy (particularly in the wet) was just madness, the form line with him and Max is clear. Not blaming them for the result (just role player types) but worrying that Sparrow, JJ, Bowey (been a big fan) aren't progressing and range from bad to just passable most weeks.

Clarry probably could have done with a half (or full game) at Casey to get back some touch.

Pretty numb after that. Didn't play super well, but hard to walk away knowing we were robbed. Eunuch goal umpire partnered with a rubbish VHS quality ARC system, and even then there was enough evidence to overturn it.

Proud we came back, proud we should have won, worried about a Gabba semi final and feel like the Pies vs Brisbane game is all or nothing for us in many ways.

Before the Oliver pile-on inevitably commences (he worked himself into the game OK in the end), maybe take a look at his running mate in the middle.

View attachment 1772380View attachment 1772381
Jack seemed to struggle with Oliver coming back. He was taking way too much time over the ball, trying to be a hero by foot in a game that was really about metres gained.

Before the Oliver pile-on inevitably commences (he worked himself into the game OK in the end), maybe take a look at his running mate in the middle.

View attachment 1772380View attachment 1772381
It's a fair call and I agree Clarry did seem to get a bit sharper as the game went on, he did look like a player who hasn't played in a few months though. Viney has had a great year imo and was using the ball relatively well (given his limitations) while Clarry was out but butchered it a lot tonight and it cost us. Felt like Carltons mids were cleaner at crucial moments in the game, the 2 centre clearance goals at the start of the last stand out as examples.

It's a fair call and I agree Clarry did seem to get a bit sharper as the game went on, he did look like a player who hasn't played in a few months though. Viney has had a great year imo and was using the ball relatively well (given his limitations) while Clarry was out but butchered it a lot tonight and it cost us. Felt like Carltons mids were cleaner at crucial moments in the game, the 2 centre clearance goals at the start of the last stand out as examples.
Oh absolutely, Viney has had a phenomenal year.

I'm just not a fan of players getting blamed for the performances of their teammates in situations like this. Oliver wasn't great, but Viney got as much of it as usual. Not Oliver's fault that Viney kicked it the way he did.

Similarly, Grundy was crap, but is it his fault that Max continually dropped easy marks and fumbled below his knees? Nope.

The Good: Only playing 10 minutes of average football and almost pinched a win.
The Bad: The Van Rooyen leg sweeping non decision.
The Ugly: The Selection of Grundy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Similarly, Grundy was crap, but is it his fault that Max continually dropped easy marks and fumbled below his knees? Nope
Eye test said Gawn got his usual 75-80% ruck time, it wasn't like we were doing a 50-50 split like earlier in the year.

Gawn just didn't play very well. Grundy into the ruck in the last actually helped us a bit as their first 2 goals came from bad execution by Gawn at the centre bounce.

Pittonet has played Gawn well in the past. But its all Grundy's fault?

Gawns crap for 3 months, they drop Grundy and he immediately plays multiple AA best player in the comp games and then they bring back Grundy and Gawn plays crap again. How anyone could not see the connection is beyond me
To be honest, I thought Gawn’s form was shit because he was coming back from the PCL and Grundy was playing his role ok but then we drop Grundy and Gawn goes back to being a colossus. Schache or Tomlinson to the backline and J Smith forward would’ve been the better call.

My genuine concern coming into the game was Grundy selection stifling not only our forward structure but also Gawns impact on the game.

Hate saying I'm right because everything that has worked over the last 5 weeks just didn't click tonight.

The Grundy selection was mystifying. Got brought in off the back off very poor VFL form.

What message does that send?

To be honest, I thought Gawn’s form was s**t because he was coming back from the PCL and Grundy was playing his role ok but then we drop Grundy and Gawn goes back to being a colossus. Schache or Tomlinson to the backline and J Smith forward would’ve been the better call.
Mate 100% before they dropped Grundy I thought Gawn was cooked, not trying to be a #ARG on that but after seeing what happened when they did drop him blind Freddy would have seen this coming when they brought him back

Just Fugly.

That goal umpires call and the dumb shits up reviewing it.
That was not touched.
Also Fugly.

Roo getting tripped up but hey we'll just throw that back in.

Gawns crap for 3 months, they drop Grundy and he immediately plays multiple AA best player in the comp games and then they bring back Grundy and Gawn plays crap again. How anyone could not see the connection is beyond me
It was worth a shot in the circumstances. We know now that, even with Grundy being told to play forward, he can't really do it, and we can move on.

Mate 100% before they dropped Grundy I thought Gawn was cooked, not trying to be a #ARG on that but after seeing what happened when they did drop him blind Freddy would have seen this coming when they brought him back

Yeah I thought he was cooked too, posted in his thread we’d seen the best of him. Then he plays like the best player in the league for a month so we **** with his form again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back