Review Dees v Orks: Good, Bad & Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

They haunt me yet in my dreams and nightmares alike: Hudson, Scott, Hendrie, Crimmins, Moncrief, Michael Byrne, Dermie, Dunstall, Ayres, Buckenara and Crawford, accompanied by their legions of late. To attend a match at VFL Park was to lose to the Wee and Poo. We beat them in 1971 - the next train to stop at our station was in 1984. As darkness engulfs the Holy City, as the dead walk forth and the centurion professes his faith at the Place of the Skull, I confer with the ever-present, ever-pensive augurs. They say Hawks by 37 points. Who am I to aver otherwise. Share your thoughts after the debacle.

Take the win and the top-four spot, and move on.

Lever and Melk's form the big positives, and there's something to work with re Laurie.

No Carlton top-four is a win for everyone 🤗

Winning and cementing top 4 probably. Lever was great in defence. A win next week makes 16-7 but I would say we look better this year than 2022. Is a shame we only worked petty being a forward this season

Bad: struggling to shake a depleted hawks for 3 quarters.
Our forward line connexion was terrible bar a few great moments.
Losing in the midfield with their outs.
Just simple skill errors costing us. Luckily hawthorn were just as bad (later in the game)

I really enjoyed listening to the radio call in the first half. Yze was interviewed on ABC and basically confirmed we’re not going to look at Grundy in our forwardline this year, so that’s good.

With top-four locked in, we'll end next week having (since the start of 2021) finished the round in the top-four 68 out of 70 weeks in a row.

Pretty remarkable consistency considering where we were

Good: Rivers, Lever, winning without Trac or Oliver doing much
Bad: Hitout/Clearance work
Ugly: Unable to defend the switch

Did what we needed to do. Give me Collingwood.

Good: Lever, McVee, Viney, Rivers
Anonymous: Petracca
Bad: Oliver
Ugly: empty jumpers, umpiring

The Good: 4 points, last quarter, Lever's last 3 quarters, Melksham owning Sicily.
The Bad: Loose defensively for 3 quarters.
The Ugly: Overall skill level via foot. Also, Salem in general, Bowey's mistakes.

Happy with that as a whole. Thought our start was disappointing again, but we absorbed the pressure from a pretty good team without conceding too much. Bad day for the star mids but we got through.

Good:
Lever and May - great stuff aerially
McVee - how did we pick up prime Nev Jetta? Just doesn’t make mistakes 99% of the time
Chandler - faded in and out but was lively and made heaps of good decisions by foot
Viney and Brayshaw - excellent defensive midfield performance
Melksham - kinda, lively game but 3 goals from 9 shots is disappointing
Langdon - building back well
Laurie - dirty start but built into the game well
Roo - what a presence. Love the mindset to put last week behind him too and drill all 3.
Smith - did good things at both ends
Riv - line breaking royalty

Bad
Tommo - looked miles off it
Schache - came off the bench and looked gassed. Surely he realised the opportunity he had?
Salem - too many poor kicks under little pressure
Bowey - I don’t think he has a spot in this team anymore. We’re conceding multiple goals a week due to his errors at the moment and he’s not doing enough going forward to make up for it. Having a similar year to Rivers last season and i’m sure he’ll be back next year, but would prefer Hibberd for finals
Trac - so many bad decisions with ball in hand
Koz - just didn’t get near it and didn’t seem to be running hard unless there was a HTB chance. Gotta cover ground against a team that switches so often whether you get rewarded or not
Oliver - goes the biff at QT against Maginness. Surely he knew what was coming and was prepared to shut it out. The guy is a pest, just outcompete.

Hawks played well. Tactically very good to counter us. Important win, some stars very quiet.
Melk, Roo, Smith were solid up forward, Melk very good but didn't finish his work enough.
Gus and Viney good in the guts, Trac and Clarry had stinkers but nice to see some others stand up in their place. Thought Sparrow did ok too.
Lever and McVee best down back. Lingers and Hunter did a heap of work both ways.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The really good: For some reason I enjoyed that win. A lot.

Edit: I realize the reason I liked it is that now I don't have to start barracking for St Kilda.

Whats with our player not being able to kick 40m? Neale-Bulle, Hunter and melksham all had shots from 40m that dropped short. weird stuff.
Yeah I had no faith those players making the distance bar Hunter. Melksham just does not have the legs any more. ANB has never had a big kick. I thought Hunter probably should make the distance wasn't a great angle for him.

Yeah I had no faith those players making the distance bar Hunter. Melksham just does not have the legs any more. ANB has never had a big kick. I thought Hunter probably should make the distance wasn't a great angle for him.
They should play golf and learn a little about (leg) swing mechanics. Technique is faulty. If you want to see a great distance kick technique, watch Daniel Turner in the VFL.

Ugly is same old problems yet again. If it wasn’t for Melk our forward line would’ve been a total washout in terms of contest work.

Bad - How does Kosi only get 5 touches?

Good - Lever, Rivers and McVee excellent. Good to see Sparrow play a good game too.

Laurie has potential, needs to play next week to try and get his confidence up

Happy with that as a whole. Thought our start was disappointing again, but we absorbed the pressure from a pretty good team without conceding too much. Bad day for the star mids but we got through.

Good:
Lever and May - great stuff aerially
McVee - how did we pick up prime Nev Jetta? Just doesn’t make mistakes 99% of the time
Chandler - faded in and out but was lively and made heaps of good decisions by foot
Viney and Brayshaw - excellent defensive midfield performance
Melksham - kinda, lively game but 3 goals from 9 shots is disappointing
Langdon - building back well
Laurie - dirty start but built into the game well
Roo - what a presence. Love the mindset to put last week behind him too and drill all 3.
Smith - did good things at both ends
Riv - line breaking royalty

Bad
Tommo - looked miles off it
Schache - came off the bench and looked gassed. Surely he realised the opportunity he had?
Salem - too many poor kicks under little pressure
Bowey - I don’t think he has a spot in this team anymore. We’re conceding multiple goals a week due to his errors at the moment and he’s not doing enough going forward to make up for it. Having a similar year to Rivers last season and i’m sure he’ll be back next year, but would prefer Hibberd for finals
Trac - so many bad decisions with ball in hand
Koz - just didn’t get near it and didn’t seem to be running hard unless there was a HTB chance. Gotta cover ground against a team that switches so often whether you get rewarded or not
Oliver - goes the biff at QT against Maginness. Surely he knew what was coming and was prepared to shut it out. The guy is a pest, just outcompete.

Don't really care if Tomo was "miles off it" (I don't think he was that bad) when Lever plays games like that coz he's not defending the second KPF.

Don't really care if Tomo was "miles off it" (I don't think he was that bad) when Lever plays games like that coz he's not defending the second KPF.
Its Tomlinson or Smith IMO. Fairly clear one of them has to be in as second KPD. I'd prefer Smith I reckon, but don't mind if its Tomlinson for McLean. As above, I think Lever was moved around multiple times because of how poor Tomlinson was on the lead.

I thought Lawrie showed signs. That high half forward role is a rough gig but he had a couple of moments of class - the banana kick pass on the boundary to Melk just before halftime and the blind spin in tight on the back flank to get the ball moving upfield in the last.

Didn't get heaps of it and I'm still not confident he'll 'make it' but worth persevering with over JJ or Harmes as 22nd picked.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I thought Lawrie showed signs. That high half forward role is a rough gig but he had a couple of moments of class - the banana kick pass on the boundary to Melk just before halftime and the blind spin in tight on the back flank to get the ball moving upfield in the last.

Didn't get heaps of it and I'm still not confident he'll 'make it' but worth persevering with over JJ or Harmes as 22nd picked.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Calm down mate, he's not GAJ

Review Dees v Orks: Good, Bad & Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back