Review Dees v Swans: the Good, Bad & Fugly with a plea to Pickett to return

Remove this Banner Ad

Petty wasn't a huge factor forward but we looked so much better with him and jvr giving us a contest in the air, glad they tried it. Grundy, rivers and probably a couple of others with their best games in a while.
Importantly he wasn't a total non-factor when it hit the deck like Brown/McDonald can be

When a key forward debuts, all you ask for is contest. JVR delivered that in spades today
Geez he was fun to watch live. Glad I saw his debut. I reckon he'll be a star. Hits hard, solid kick, good mark. Could be the best forward since Neitz if he sticks around.

Also loved Jefferson kicking 4 for Casey. Good signs!

Good

JVR with a perfect debut. He looked composed, aggressive and got on the end of a few. Very promising performance first up at the level.

21 goals against a well organised team like Sydney.

Finding a new level when we got challenged. That was shaping up a lot like a number of our games at the back end of last year when the Swans got within a goal.

Carry kicking goals. 3 in 3 games to start the season is a great start. If he can consistently add this to his game he might finally reach that elusive Ollie Wines level.

Banking a win without Max. A 2-1 start with a tough draw to start is great with it appearing to get easier from next week

Bad

May's start to the game was shaky but he got better the longer the game went. The tackle on Warner in the last was superb.

Some of Grundy's ruckwork was odd. His game overall was quite good, but they really need to simplify things for him in the middle. He stopped to look at Ladhams at one centre contest when the ball went behind him instead of attacking the ball which lead to an easy Sydney clearance. Hoping he can keep improving in Max's absence.

Brown couldn't get near it after a good start to the year.

Petty's not a forward. Hoping that's a one week experiment that gets scrapped.

No ugly.

Good

JVR with a perfect debut. He looked composed, aggressive and got on the end of a few. Very promising performance first up at the level.

21 goals against a well organised team like Sydney.

Finding a new level when we got challenged. That was shaping up a lot like a number of our games at the back end of last year when the Swans got within a goal.

Carry kicking goals. 3 in 3 games to start the season is a great start. If he can consistently add this to his game he might finally reach that elusive Ollie Wines level.

Banking a win without Max. A 2-1 start with a tough draw to start is great with it appearing to get easier from next week

Bad

May's start to the game was shaky but he got better the longer the game went. The tackle on Warner in the last was superb.

Some of Grundy's ruckwork was odd. His game overall was quite good, but they really need to simplify things for him in the middle. He stopped to look at Ladhams at one centre contest when the ball went behind him instead of attacking the ball which lead to an easy Sydney clearance. Hoping he can keep improving in Max's absence.

Brown couldn't get near it after a good start to the year.

Petty's not a forward. Hoping that's a one week experiment that gets scrapped.

No ugly.
Petty created more contests in one game in the F50 than McDonald has in two years. Thought he looked good up forward

Clarry was unbelievable yet again today. He plays the game at a totally different level. Had about 10 hardball gets today where if another player did the same just once you’d rave about it all week.

Riv’s best game for the club.

Fantastic to see good games again from Chandler and McVee. And a nice debut from JVR.
Look what happens when you back young players on instead of same old same old.

Grundy was pretty bloody good two given they had two athletic ruckmen for him to take on. Rich man’s Luke Jackson

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Petty created more contests in one game in the F50 than McDonald has in two years. Thought he looked good up forward
Agree. My worry is we would be lost without him in the defence, but the other guys back there held up well without him (and he's been terrible back there lately anyway).
Thought it was a great move having him up forward and I hope he stays there next week.

What i like about Petty up forward is that, the coaching group has actually identified he's not playing the best down back at the moment and changing it up and trying something new. Unlike last year where we just held out of form players in their spots and hoped they'd refind it

Basically i like the coaches actually bothering to try something different

If your chin was as big as buzz light year you would be to.
New nickname nomination.

Toy Story Pixar GIF by Disney

Uncanny

Visceral reactions:
Steven - he May need to work on his one on ones at Casey

Van Rooyen - took his demotion from Casey well. I hope I never see him in a purple forward line with Jye Anus.

Petracca - sloppy and fumbly: delist

Gumby - he gumbied around a bit, I still feel he’s behind Farris-Bueller and Will Ferrell but unfortunately Ferrell has a broken penis so we may have to put up with a rookie like Gumby for a while.

Viney - the only times he has hit a Melbourne player this year was Melksham after the siren and Gawn’s knee. Trade for a first rounder!

Lever - needs to shave his sideburns.

Spargo - I like his energy, usually needs a lie down after quarter time but is a very good boy. We just need to make sure his vaccinations are up to date and he keeps going to puppy training so there are no more wee wees on the goalposts.

Brayshaw - shit game, straight swap for his brother if he can podcast.

Gawn - unsighted, feel he needs to step down from the captaincy after 2 quiet weeks.

Hunter - I was sceptical that adding an ‘er’ suffix to his name would improve his football but congratulations Jayden you’ve proven me wrong.

Oliver - needs to handball more and use his arms.

Hibberd - took his demotion well. Has potential as a sub.

Clangdon - played his role to make sure we could get the POINTS on the BOARD

Bowey - still yet to see a left handed handball. Delist.

Melksham - could he be the SUPER SUB for the MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB?

Jim Jones - I’m drinking the Kool-Aid even though I don’t know what he looks like. 🤷‍♀️

Rivers - could he be the RISING STAR?

McDonald - kicking the goal after the siren means we’re in BUSINESS!

ANB - until he learns to play inside midfield, he has no future.

Fritsch - needs to back himself and go for goals next time he takes an intercept mark in D50.

Swallow - probably one of his best games since crossing from THE GOLD COAST SUNS. Delist.

Petty - delist

Pickett - unsighted again. Delist.

Chaminda - I know it’s hard for crossover athletes but I think he’s doing well all things considered. Let’s remember that our forward line is highly experimental with Chihuahua Spargo on the other half forward flank. I think we can all see that the nagging accuracy that made him such a stalwart of the Sri Lankan cricket team is there. Will need to bide his time before being promoted to Casey.

Marty McVee - it was good to see him BACK to the FUTURE.

BBB - I think that DAYLIGHT SAVINGS messed up his timing as he only struck ONE today.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Dees v Swans: the Good, Bad & Fugly with a plea to Pickett to return

Remove this Banner Ad

Back