Review Dees v the Despicable Carlton Cheats

Remove this Banner Ad

Main positive was the defence looking back to their best. Individually, Tomlinson wasn't great but I felt his inclusion helped May and Lever big time.

McVee was huge, what a find he's been.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I feel the same way re. Tommo but god damn he was glacial slow compared to McKay. Hoping Petty is slotted straight back into defence when he returns. We are a better team (specifically defence) with him there.

Tommo wasn't great but McKay before he has to actually kick it is a gun. That's a rough job for anyone let alone a bloke just up from the 2s
Thought his marks looked very hard to defend and the holding free was appalling from the umps.

Thought his marks looked very hard to defend and the holding free was appalling from the umps.
Tommos barely even tall. McKay's like ruck height lol. If you put it to his advantage he shouldn't lose to almost any key backs

Tommos barely even tall. McKay's like ruck height lol. If you put it to his advantage he shouldn't lose to almost any key backs
Yeah even May has struggled with him in the past. It was the right call too because Curnow did nothing and McKay can't kick a drop punt so you just need to defend him close to goal as well as you can.

Yeah even May has struggled with him in the past. It was the right call too because Curnow did nothing and McKay can't kick a drop punt so you just need to defend him close to goal as well as you can.
Also can't went through him too much. They kicked what 6 goals and he like 8 shots on goal? It didn't really hurt us

Whatever one might say about the aesthetics of the game, it is always an immense pleasure to beat the Cheats and we have been doing so since 2014 - correct?

Whatever one might say about the aesthetics of the game, it is always an immense pleasure to beat the Cheats and we have been doing so since 2014 - correct?
2016 was the last time they beat us. Goodwin has never lost to Carlton

Add another game to that tally board that JVR looked 10x better in without TMac.

That was one positive out of that shit fest last night, the ball ran thru the kid when we went forward and he made the most of his chances. That's actual development.

Can't wait til he's played enough games to where he's comfortable abusing his teammates for shithouse delivery. Im going to enjoy that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"it was pretty low scoring but thats what Carlton games have been like this past month" ....ok mate, no mention about how low scoring Melbourne games have been the past 3 weeks? It was all Carlton's doing!

"I was really proud of our boys they didnt waiver one bit".... I was very proud too. And got "incredibly hard" over that performance.

Probably sums up. Not still searching for our best and working on alot, but happy and proud of the team

You can tell Goody is getting feisty and defensive about how shit our forward connection has been the past few weeks but journo's too gutless to keep pushing him on it. Blaming Carlton for our lack of scoring. 59 inside 50's for 61 points. Carlton get shit on constantly for their dysfunctional gameplan and forward line (and rightly so) yet actually scored better than we did 39 inside 50's for 44 points.

Last edited:
"scoring hasn't been an issue, its something that will evolve as the year goes on" ... I cant even laugh at this, are you taking the piss? Evolve as the year goes on? I believe the word youre looking for is regress, not evolve.

40 forward half intercepts is huge!

Kept them to 44pts.

Smashed them in clearances and inside 50s.

Tommo allowed our backline to properly function.

Trac did Trac things.

Gawn looked to turn a corner.

Kids stepped up. JVR, McVee, Bowey, Riv and Sparrow all looked very good.

Lots to like tbh. Main issue is forward efficiency. 40 forward half turnovers with 1.4 as a result is appalling. That's 1 in 8 shots per turnover. The average is 1 in 3. Goody simply has to get the ball into the hands of our good ball users in the front half. Spargo, Kozzy, Hunter, Fritta, Salem. If these guys can have more front half possessions then that's where our improvement comes. But we need blokes like Trac and Oliver and Viney etc to be big boys and make that happen.

All in all, last night had all the makings of a 12 goal win. Was just our efficiency forward. Good signs though

"scoring hasn't been an issue, its something that will evolve as the year goes on" ... I cant even laugh at this, are you taking the piss? Evolve as the year goes on? I believe the word youre looking for is regress, not evolve.
How funny would that be if Goody actually said, "We were disappointing in a lot of areas, we expect to regress throughout the remainder of the season and we're not working on anything in particular to resolve it". I mean, it's true, we all know it. Points for honesty?

A bad as the game was to watch, we look a lot better with Smith and Tommo in the side.

The kids are showing a lot of poise and skill, Salem is getting back to his best, and we managed to grind out an ugly win.

Gawn is still off since he returned from injury and I wonder if it's physical or mental? Brayshaw is still frustrating and our forward connection still sucks. But Bowie showed that, if we have the right players kicking into the 50, it can make all the difference.

I hope we play Pickett in the centre against the Pies. He's an ace up our sleeve that we haven't used since round 1. I can only assume that we're saving him for the run home. But, I can't see how else we can counter Collingwood's run.

How good was JVRs goal and the pumping the arms up for the ground, feels like he's really embracing the Rooooooo! Kid is a jet.

259e7fe237cbdd2052097689cb589893.jpg

Got these vibes from him when he did it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Dees v the Despicable Carlton Cheats

Remove this Banner Ad

Back