Review Dees v the West Coast Eagle Nisbitt-ites: the Good, Bad and Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

I grow morose when I think of our record against the Eagls. Did Murray Wrenstead do us any real favour back in 1988? Will we ever win a final against WCE in Perth itself? Does Trevor Nisbett stand for the proposition that all things can be forgiven - provided one is part of the Boy's Club. The augurs are pensive. I blame them not. Eagles by 14 points. Post=match celebrations at Daniel Kerr's house . . . . . .

The pressure was great from the Eagles. That is a mark of club that while a bottom four team conducts itself like a top four team. So I am not taking away from them complaining about how Melbourne did not dominate from the opening.

Team got the job done at the end of the day.

My only takeaway is that I don't know what team can tag Pickett possible future Norm Smith Medal winner.

I grow morose when I think of our record against the Eagls. Did Murray Wrenstead do us any real favour back in 1988? Will we ever win a final against WCE in Perth itself? Does Trevor Nisbett stand for the proposition that all things can be forgiven - provided one is part of the Boy's Club. The augurs are pensive. I blame them not. Eagles by 14 points. Post=match celebrations at Daniel Kerr's house . . . . . .
HI GUYS! I AM MURRAY!

02CAFB66-D825-460E-86B0-744BB3237A45.jpeg

80+ tackles and 20 inside F50 is actually good. Meh game but we take those wins and move on.
Yeah massive tackle numbers.
A massive congested slog but ground our way through. Skills were pretty shit, even under little pressure, but whatever. West Coast made us earn it.

Grundy continues to improve. Taps are almost there, just missing some timing with the mids.
Begrudgingly, that was a very good return for TMc.
Petty looks v down on confidence. Needs to find some fire again.

West Coast obviously came with the intent to park the bus and clog up the contest, so it was never going to be a pretty game, but you also can't complain about a 10 goal win. West Coast brought a decent effort and intensity considering the guys they were missing.

The good:

• Viney back in form.
  • Petracca actually nailing some set shots.
  • Good defensive intensity and tackling pressure for most of the 4 quarters.
  • Grundy back to some of his old AA form, albeit against a pretty weak ruck lineup.
  • Trent Rivers having another really good game. It's easy to forget that he's out of contract this year with everything that's going on around Pickett, and he's shaping as a key signing.
The bad:

• Struggled to find short targets inside 50 (which was obviously mostly due to the Eagles flooding back) and our tall forwards weren't great in the air. It's probably a good sign that guys like McDonald and Brown can find multiple goals a game even when they're not playing especially well, though.
  • Bowey had a pretty poor game, uncharacteristically missing targets all over the place. Lever was mediocre after a good first three weeks.
  • Struggled to find any spread from the contest, and I don't remember us getting too many scores running the ball quickly on rebound from defensive 50, which has been a feature in our other games. Again, the Eagles' defensive workrate probably a big part of that.
The ugly:

• Pickett's 5 behinds before a goal.
  • Jaden Hunt played decent, but it's nice to see he's finally learnt how to hit a Melbourne player on the chest after all these years.
  • Home town umpiring as usual. I think that Van Rooyen mark being disallowed in the pocket is the first time I've ever seen the crowd get a decision overturned.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd love to go back in time and tell the 2013 version of myself that a day will come when Melbourne belt the Eagles by 10 goals in Perth and the win will mean absolutely nothing to me.

Beating west coast by 10 goals is like beating up a disabled child, there is no satisfaction to be had

I hate TMac like everyone else but he was actually very good today. His disposal was back to something resembling his better years and he marked a couple of balls that Ben Brown could only dream of.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Dees v the West Coast Eagle Nisbitt-ites: the Good, Bad and Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back