Mega Thread Delist/Trade/Draft Supermegaultrathread - Trade Period Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trust me, I don't, I'm one of Priddis' biggest haters after all. But I do believe that the positions, and the context in which possessions are gathered is of great importance. This is my criticism of Hurn, and I don't believe we have made satisfactory use of his freakish skills. But like I mentioned earlier, coaching might be at fault here. 15 Hurn possessions, in the right context, could result in 2 goals and 6 goal assists, but currently, his impact is not of the level it could be.

I am however excited to see what Simpson can do with our HB brigade. If Simpson could instill the positional sense, and game-reading ability of Birchall (my favourite player) in Hurn, then we will have a serious weapon on our hands. I suspect he will have to trim down slightly, particularly in the legs, build his endurance base and improve his consistency and defensive work. Still a lot of work to be done. If by the end of the year there has been no improvement, I wouldn't be adverse to seeing him traded for a young skillful midfielder.

We don't either!!

4 WAY TRADE SUGGESTION:

WCE - GAIN Yeo and Pick 62, LOSE Picks 40 & 58

FREO - GAIN Gumby and Pick 59, LOSE Picks 33 & 69

BRI - GAIN Picks 33 & 69, LOSE Yeo & Pick 59

ESS - GAIN Pick 40 & 58, LOSE Gumby & Pick 62

A solid return for all which allows all parties time to do it and look for bigger bounties in the next few days.

Get it done!

In theory this should work well.
But there's one problem... Essendon: The biggest trade period douchebags (along with Collingwood).

Let Freo do there own thing with Gumby. If they trade there second rounder then that's good for us.

Means we won't need to budge as no bidding war.

Yeo, Ellis and our first two picks in the preseason draft would be the best possible outcome for us this trade period.

I hope Simpson can really blood some youth next year...

I'd still be pretty keen to use 3 picks in the draft. Would be ideal if we could trade out a player to improve our 3rd pick though (which would be round 4 assuming we use our 3rd rounder on Yeo).

Ins:
Draft- pick 6, pick 24, pick 60 (again, would like to upgrade this via a trade if possible)
Trades- Yeo (42), Ellis (FA)
Upgrades- Bennell, Tunbridge, McGovern

Outs:
Embley, Nicoski, Selwood, Hams, Dick

meaning we would need 3 more outs...
Kerr - retirement
Newman - delist and use rookie pick on
Delist one of Dalziell, Morton, Wilson OR trade out a player to get a upgrade on our list pick (again ideal)... wouldn't oppose trading out rosa for a pick in the 30s.

Then we still have two picks in the RD + Newman.

Would be rather pleased with this outcome.

it's a lot easier to be tagged out of a game from half back, because unlike the midfield you aren't always around the ball, and given your role is foremost defence, you can't simply run off your man whenever you feel like it.

All quality halfbacks get tagged and when they do, few beat it regularly

Think Deledio, Shaw, Hurn, Gibbs and even the likes of Travis johnstone in the past.

About the only bloke who doesn't get shut down if copping a hard tag is enright

Hurn copping the attention is what got Waters his AA half back last year

They key to maximising hurn's output, is getting someone equally damaging off the other flank.

Exactly. Hurn is the most effective kick in the league. If you look at any game where he manages to get over 20 possessions we usually win. Teams know this and try to tag him out every week. Hurn only needs to touc it 15 or more times to be very effective for us.

I do agree with what some people have posted in that if he isn't getting near it start him center in the bounce and then let him drift back. A quick kick out of the pack from Hurn lands at the top of the square and that's much harder to rebound out and defend than the usual hurried kick we get to the 50m arc. If he get's more than a second or two he will hit up a target or kick to advantage. Addedd benefit is he is buzzing around the 50m arc if we win it forward of center.

Exactly. Hurn is the most effective kick in the league. If you look at any game where he manages to get over 20 possessions we usually win. Teams know this and try to tag him out every week. Hurn only needs to touc it 15 or more times to be very effective for us.

I do agree with what some people have posted in that if he isn't getting near it start him center in the bounce and then let him drift back. A quick kick out of the pack from Hurn lands at the top of the square and that's much harder to rebound out and defend than the usual hurried kick we get to the 50m arc. If he get's more than a second or two he will hit up a target or kick to advantage. Addedd benefit is he is buzzing around the 50m arc if we win it forward of center.

Not to mention his awesome kick-ins :thumbsu:

Not to mention his awesome kick-ins :thumbsu:

Yep - that is something you can't tag.

Even if he has only 8 possessions - he gets another 8-10 kickins a game.

Whilst it would be great for Hurn to average 18-20 possessions - it just isn't going to happen.

In saying that - Simpson has just come from Hawthorn where pretty much all but a small handful rotate through the midfield. And his first presser had the mantra of flexibility.

I don't think the likes of Darling/Hurn/Hill/LeCras should be midfielders, but I think they should be able to rotate thorugh for 3 or so minutes a quarter.

The extra rotations will allow Masten/Shuey/gaff additional time to recover in the forward line. Rather than running out of puff at the start of the 4th quarter

I'm ok with Ellis, he could be useful midfielder depth (also injury prone, but you never know) and an upgrade on some players on the list. However I'd still like live 3 picks in the psd so if we do get him more cuts please.
Yeh "at least" 3 would be good

So I've heard two rumours this morning, one that Freo have offered pick 33 for Gumbleton and the other is we have offered pick 24 for Yeo.

One things for sure is that we will either be pissed or over joyed at the end of this trade period.

Worst case scenario is Freo trade there picks, and we still offer our pick 24 for Yeo- would be so stupid of us if that's the case,

Eagle board Meltdown.

So I've heard two rumours this morning, one that Freo have offered pick 33 for Gumbleton and the other is we have offered pick 24 for Yeo.

One things for sure is that we will either be pissed or over joyed at the end of this trade period.

Worst case scenario is Freo trade there picks, and we still offer our pick 24 for Yeo- would be so stupid of us if that's the case,

Eagle board Meltdown.
Don't we still have 2 weeks to go? if we have offered that pick it would be poor......Piss Poor

Yep - that is something you can't tag.

Even if he has only 8 possessions - he gets another 8-10 kickins a game.

Whilst it would be great for Hurn to average 18-20 possessions - it just isn't going to happen.

In saying that - Simpson has just come from Hawthorn where pretty much all but a small handful rotate through the midfield. And his first presser had the mantra of flexibility.

I don't think the likes of Darling/Hurn/Hill/LeCras should be midfielders, but I think they should be able to rotate thorugh for 3 or so minutes a quarter.

The extra rotations will allow Masten/Shuey/gaff additional time to recover in the forward line. Rather than running out of puff at the start of the 4th quarter
I think Hurn could turn out to be a really good part-time midfielder. He seemed to spend more time in the middle coming off the D50 at bounces this season, and he was pretty effective. Big body and amazing kick of the footy, just needs to work on his agility and he could be a real weapon having stints in the middle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Hurn could turn out to be a really good part-time midfielder. He seemed to spend more time in the middle coming off the D50 at bounces this season, and he was pretty effective. Big body and amazing kick of the footy, just needs to work on his agility and he could be a real weapon having stints in the middle.

Agree and i noticed they were doing this so he could break the tag and it was working too. He then got injured 2-3 games after they started doing it which was a shame as i think they had plans to play him in there for small stints.

Happy with the fact that Simpson has stated he wants more players to have dual roles.

Blues2014
Docherty deal has taken a back seat to the Josh Kennedy deal. 5 year conract, Bootsma, Lucas and 1st round pick involved

Haha i seen this trade rumor on the HS chat website.

No idea what a conract is.

Just imagine if it was Rich who was homesick and chose WCE , my god he would be unaffordable . Reckon we should move on forget about Yeo unless on our terms of pick 40 plus a swap of second round picks .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back