Preview Dogs on Mars: Round 8 Saturday May - 11 1:45 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really big game this one.

If we can get the win we are guaranteed to be more than a game clear of 9th as all the 4-3 teams (from 5th-10th on the ladder) play each other this week. Most likely we will be two games clear assuming there aren't 3 draws in those games!

Also means that if we lose we should still comfortably be in the 8 but getting 2 games clear of 9th with a third of the season gone would be such a fantastic start.

Our options are... limited.
  • Gardiner - very good defensively, not a like for like matchup though. Better on marking threats.
  • Rich - ok defensively, having improved, but not quick or agile.
  • Witherden - see Rich, but without the defensive improvement.
  • Bailey - was injured, not good defensively, quick.
  • Answerth - inexperienced but at least has form down there.

• Hodge - a wiley defender that will use his years of skill in concealing his craft and methods on small fowards...Fagan's - Artful Dodger

These are the changes I would like to see coming into this week:

OUT: Taylor, Lester, Hodge
IN: Keays, Andrews, Bailey

Making our team going into the game look like this:

B: Gardiner, Andrews, Rich
HB: Bailey, Walker, Answerth
C: Cutler, Robinson, McCluggage
HF: Keays, Hipwood, Zorko
F: Rayner, McStay, Cameron
Fol: Martin, Neale, Berry
Int: McInerney, Lyons, Witherden, McCarthy

My logic for the outs is as follows:
- Lester: pretty self-explanatory in my opinion. Someone needs to make way for Andrews, and Lester would have come into the squad knowing he was filling in. Hasn't been bad, but definitely hasn't set the world on fire in a way to block Andrews' return.
- Taylor: last game was not good enough. I thought the game against the Gold Coast was acceptable, but there are too many players pushing hard for selection to allow a fringe player to maintain his spot with below average performances.
- Hodge: will need a rest at some point in the season. But I think our team also needs him to rest earlier in the year. The reason being - we need to see how well the team can function without his leadership. He won't be there next season, so the sooner we can see how well our players can direct themselves, the sooner we can address issues with this.

For the ins:
- Keays: I think it would not be particularly pertinent for us to ignore the players banging the door down in the seconds. We need to keep the appetite up in these players. Keays, Wooler and C Lyons have been consistently putting up impressive numbers. I would be slotting Keays into the forward line for a game or two (pushing McCarthy through the midfield like in the preseason) and seeing how he performs at the top level.
- Andrews: self explanatory
- Bailey: brings back the pace and the run and carry against a small dogs side.

I expect that we will see Hodge remain in the side however. I suspect the club is trying to wait for the Fremantle game as a rest for him. I imagine that this will result in another week in the seconds for Bailey or for Keays to remain unselected. Answerth I could also see being put back into the seconds, however I think his form has warranted his spot in the main team.

Game focus I want to be on forward pressure. Felt like every time the ball went in against the swans we either scored straight away or they immediately cleared it outside their defensive 50.

I think our midfield balance has felt much better these past couple of weeks with only one of Mathieson and Lyons in the side. I definitely think at this point that Lyons is the stronger player, and the statistics almost unanimously back this up. Cutler has been poor defensively, but he hasn't been significantly weaker in this area than Mathieson was IMO, while playing more outside and offering more offensive ability than Mathieson did. I think this justifies his selection in the side.

I feel like this is a bit of a danger game for us. We have played two weak teams, and while showing brilliance in some quarters, we have been quite dire in some quarters too. I think the dogs are a lot better than the swans or suns this year, so hopefully we don't let it slip like we have at points the past couple of weeks.

- Lester: pretty self-explanatory in my opinion. Someone needs to make way for Andrews, and Lester would have come into the squad knowing he was filling in. Hasn't been bad, but definitely hasn't set the world on fire in a way to block Andrews' return.
- Taylor: last game was not good enough. I thought the game against the Gold Coast was acceptable, but there are too many players pushing hard for selection to allow a fringe player to maintain his spot with below average performances.
- Hodge: will need a rest at some point in the season. But I think our team also needs him to rest earlier in the year. The reason being - we need to see how well the team can function without his leadership. He won't be there next season, so the sooner we can see how well our players can direct themselves, the sooner we can address issues with this.

For the ins:
- Keays: I think it would not be particularly pertinent for us to ignore the players banging the door down in the seconds. We need to keep the appetite up in these players. Keays, Wooler and C Lyons have been consistently putting up impressive numbers. I would be slotting Keays into the forward line for a game or two (pushing McCarthy through the midfield like in the preseason) and seeing how he performs at the top level.

I expect that we will see Hodge remain in the side however. I suspect the club is trying to wait for the Fremantle game as a rest for him. I imagine that this will result in another week in the seconds for Bailey or for Keays to remain unselected. Answerth I could also see being put back into the seconds, however I think his form has warranted his spot in the main team.

Game focus I want to be on forward pressure. Felt like every time the ball went in against the swans we either scored straight away or they immediately cleared it outside their defensive 50.

I think our midfield balance has felt much better these past couple of weeks with only one of Mathieson and Lyons in the side. I definitely think at this point that Lyons is the stronger player, and the statistics almost unanimously back this up. Cutler has been poor defensively, but he hasn't been significantly weaker in this area than Mathieson was IMO, while playing more outside and offering more offensive ability than Mathieson did. I think this justifies his selection in the side.

I feel like this is a bit of a danger game for us. We have played two weak teams, and while showing brilliance in some quarters, we have been quite dire in some quarters too. I think the dogs are a lot better than the swans or suns this year, so hopefully we don't let it slip like we have at points the past couple of weeks.
I'll go out on a limb and restate that I think Cutler could be a star.

His defensive game has been really good the last two weeks filling in holes in the back half and playing the team game when we were forward ,only bombing it once ,which just missed btw and would've brought the house down. You just don't want to waste a guy with his sorts of skills , and I think he's gradually coming to terms with the areas of his game that he's obviously working on.

Quick question all, have any Melbourne based members received any information about the bus from the city to Ballarat yet? I purchased tickets on the bus when I bought tickets to the game, I just haven’t heard anything yet! Cheers

Don't know about that sorry, but do know that there will be free buses going from Ballarat station to the ground before and after the game apparently..

..read an article in Ballarat Courier, sounded like the council has really got behind having an AFL match there.

One thing I like about Keays and his goal tally is he is doing this mainly in grounds where he doesnt get the protection from the wind from Granstands.

For the ins:

If i was to be ok with that many ins and outs thats exactly who I would have out and in.

But I rate cutler and I think if he keeps up his form he will cement his spot for the year.

Don't know about that sorry, but do know that there will be free buses going from Ballarat station to the ground before and after the game apparently..

..read an article in Ballarat Courier, sounded like the council has really got behind having an AFL match there.

Parking available at nearby CE Brown reserve off Dowling St, shuttle bus will operate on a 20min loop from Midlands Golf Club 12.30pm - 2pm then post match 4pm

..hope that helps in some way for those going.

I agree entirely with this. I think he has all the talent and ability to really be a good player.

I meant more by my statement that, in place of Mathieson, he offers better midfield balance, and significantly more offence, while sacrificing minimal defence. Personally I don't think either of the players are great defensively. Cutler has the bigger body though, I would like to see him continue to develop and improve his defensive side. If he can sort that, his potential is massive.

I also want to see him back himself more. His kicking is elite, I want to see him using this weapon for our 50 entrances.

Luckily, both Cutler and Mathieson have time on their side. Cutler can be pretty much anything I reckon, just needs to work hard to get there.

His defensive game has been really good the last two weeks filling in holes in the back half and playing the team game when we were forward ,only bombing it once ,which just missed btw and would've brought the house down. You just don't want to waste a guy with his sorts of skills , and I think he's gradually coming to terms with the areas of his game that he's obviously working on.

I agree with this- but the emphasis should be on the "could". I think his big issue, apart from his well publicised defence deficiencies which based on last week he is doing everything to address, is whether he is able to grasp just how good he might be.

He is a long, generally accurate kick, he has pace, height and strength and isn't afraid to take the run on. All the key ingredients. I often look at these blokes who skate along the periphery of establishing themselves as a regular and how we might come to regret losing them elsewhere. Eg, Crisp. I think Cutler is one we would seriously regret losing, if it came to that.

I hope he is retained this week and goes on with confidence.

That's a really good point Tassie . He seems a laconic sort of fellow who is usually going at 75% . If he just realised how good he was and they let him loose he could create plenty of carnage going forward . It's up to him now and the coaching staff to bring it out of him. I was really dirty on losing Crisp , Yeo and Docherty likewise of course but the club was in a complete mess then. Players of Cutler's raw ability are hard to come by and I certainly wouldn't want to lose him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We will win because bundy is not playing in the firsts. Thoughts and prayers with the fans travelling to the game. I hope you don’t step on any dirty needles, get robbed or stabbed in your ventures to and from Ballarat. Would recommend only taking what you are prepared to lose with you to the game

Massive test for us this week against a semi-resurgent Dogs outfit. Playing away from home, off Broadway, cold and potentially wet conditions, hostile crowd, umpires unlikely to give us many 50/50 calls...ingredients there for a season-defining, galvanising victory.

I agree entirely with this. I think he has all the talent and ability to really be a good player.

I meant more by my statement that, in place of Mathieson, he offers better midfield balance, and significantly more offence, while sacrificing minimal defence. Personally I don't think either of the players are great defensively. Cutler has the bigger body though, I would like to see him continue to develop and improve his defensive side. If he can sort that, his potential is massive.

I also want to see him back himself more. His kicking is elite, I want to see him using this weapon for our 50 entrances.

Luckily, both Cutler and Mathieson have time on their side. Cutler can be pretty much anything I reckon, just needs to work hard to get there.
Agree Cuts has massive potential, and from my point of view, since being back in the seniors, he really has adopted the team first attitude, almost to his detriment at times. Have noticed his decision to handball off to a teammate more often, but probably over doing it at times, where a long driving kick would've been the preferred option.(considering that's his one wood)
I'm OK with this, as I think with some continuity at senior level, he'll get the balance right.

Agree Cuts has massive potential, and from my point of view, since being back in the seniors, he really has adopted the team first attitude, almost to his detriment at times. Have noticed his decision to handball off to a teammate more often, but probably over doing it at times, where a long driving kick would've been the preferred option.(considering that's his one wood)
I'm OK with this, as I think with some continuity at senior level, he'll get the balance right.
It is just unfortunate that it takes a kick up the bum every now and then for him to refocus and get back to playing good footy.
He has class written all over him and I just hope it is at the lions where he reaches his full potential consistently.
It would be a crying shame if it is elsewhere!
I do believe he was a Lions fan as a young fella?

It is just unfortunate that it takes a kick up the bum every now and then for him to refocus and get back to playing good footy.
He has class written all over him and I just hope it is at the lions where he reaches his full potential consistently.
It would be a crying shame if it is elsewhere!
I do believe he was a Lions fan as a young fella?
Hope he doesn't leave, he stayed with us when we were really poor, why would he want to leave when we re finally getting some success?

We will win because bundy is not playing in the firsts. Thoughts and prayers with the fans travelling to the game. I hope you don’t step on any dirty needles, get robbed or stabbed in your ventures to and from Ballarat. Would recommend only taking what you are prepared to lose with you to the game

Written Ministerial Statement on Tourism for the Western Districts of Victoria

Im pretty sure we lost a game without Bundy so...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back