List Mgmt. Early 2012 trade week and free agency target discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh...he's a gun all right...I was pointing out how wrong I was about Dangerfield!!
Good to see you pull yourself up on that one DTC.

Over the last few rounds I was watching Danger play and thought "gee david got that one wrong" lol

It just goes to show though. He was worth chasing. And to be fair, Boak was a significant step down.
Looks like we'll step down further again. I don't see the point.

Although I did think Russell had the makings of a jet a few years back.
I don't know what Ratten did to him.

Our compensation pick is an interesting one. Now that Boak's out of the question I'd like us to either use it in a trade to get Caddy or use it to get a pick in the upcoming draft. The issue is I'm not sure that Caddy wants to come to Geelong rather than a Melbourne based club.

We might look to get involved in the Caddy trade to get him to a Melbourne club, send our compo pick up to the GC and get a 1st rounder in the upcoming draft in return. For example if Richmond are interested in Caddy and are offering up pick 9 it would be nice to get that from the GC in return for our compensation pick which they can store for later use. We might have to offer something on top of that like Simpkin or our 2nd rounder but it would definitely be nice to have 2 1st round picks in this draft.

Caddy would be a great get as compo for Gazza but we have a need for an older midfielder 23 - 26 age bracket as there is a substantial gap in the ranks at the moment

Our compensation pick is an interesting one. Now that Boak's out of the question I'd like us to either use it in a trade to get Caddy or use it to get a pick in the upcoming draft. The issue is I'm not sure that Caddy wants to come to Geelong rather than a Melbourne based club.

We might look to get involved in the Caddy trade to get him to a Melbourne club, send our compo pick up to the GC and get a 1st rounder in the upcoming draft in return. For example if Richmond are interested in Caddy and are offering up pick 9 it would be nice to get that from the GC in return for our compensation pick which they can store for later use. We might have to offer something on top of that like Simpkin or our 2nd rounder but it would definitely be nice to have 2 1st round picks in this draft.

Gee I totally didnt even think about trading our compo pick for a pick in this years draft.

Shit, if we could trade it for a first round pick to one of the bottom 4 sides, we all of a sudden get a pick in the top 5...... and if the draft is anything like they say its going to be, imagine the gem that Wells would pick up.

Although our compo pick is still tied to our ladder position regardless of who it goes to isnt it?

Caddy would be a great get as compo for Gazza but we have a need for an older midfielder 23 - 26 age bracket as there is a substantial gap in the ranks at the moment

Does anyone know if there are any decent mature aged blokes coming through in that age bracket that we could nab?

Gee I totally didnt even think about trading our compo pick for a pick in this years draft.

Shit, if we could trade it for a first round pick to one of the bottom 4 sides, we all of a sudden get a pick in the top 5...... and if the draft is anything like they say its going to be, imagine the gem that Wells would pick up.

Although our compo pick is still tied to our ladder position regardless of who it goes to isnt it?

Yep, pick is aligned to our finish in the next two years. Cant see us going lower than 12th in that period, so that would be pick 7 at best (if no other sides with compos in front of ours activate it) Cant see a side trading a compo for anything in this years top 5. No point, they end up with a lower pick and have to wait a year to use it. And run the risk of us finishing higher and it being a pick in the teens. Gc and Gws will want compo picks, but players would be more likely a trade with them. Unless a 3 way trade like the Richmong one to get Caddy there and we get pick 9 from the Tigers. I like that option. Top 12 in this draft has some exceptional inside mids. Compo and Gillies for Caddy woyuld suit me!

Does anyone know if there are any decent mature aged blokes coming through in that age bracket that we could nab?

Deledio would have been a good get but he signed during the year.
I think Daniel Connors would be another, although he has some off-field issues.
Cunnington from North (doubt they'd see him go), Chris Knights, can't think of others apart from the others mentioned above in Maloney, McLean and Gysberts.

Deledio would have been a good get but he signed during the year.
I think Daniel Connors would be another, although he has some off-field issues.
Cunnington from North (doubt they'd see him go), Chris Knights, can't think of others apart from the others mentioned above in Maloney, McLean and Gysberts.

None of the realistic ones are very appealling for mine. They all might be in the right age group, but outside of McLean they all struggled to get games in ordinary sides.

Sounds like every person that quits there club or hasn't signed is linked to us!
Was just thinking this myself, its like all the player managers are just throwing up our name to bump the price up for their clients

067645-colin-sylvia.jpg

I still think tomorrow nights game will have playing the player who will fill the spot we thought Boak would.
His name is Simpkin.
Inside mid with a cool head and sure hands who has the added bonus of being able to kick goals and run and carry.
I like him as a player but don't see him as an inside mid at all.
Watched him carefully in Vfl last week. He's mainly a running midfielder with quite good disposal.
Stringer is more your inside mid i think.

To get Smedts we traded a pick 11 for pick pick 15. 4 places later but it allowed us into a draft that SW rated and he probably had an idea he could get Smedts or someone else that he thought was worth it.

Our other comp is not so clear as to what its worth. What would a club trade for it? It can't be used this year even if we trade it so its main advantage is that it allows a ramping up of later picks , something that favors GC and GWS with a lot of similar aged players. For that they may even be willing give a few spots but I really doubt that we will get anywhere near pick5. Pick10-15 would be about it in my estimation.

What about trading the compo pick + 1st rounder for Melbourne's 1st pick? Try to get Wines.

To get Smedts we traded a pick 11 for pick pick 15. 4 places later but it allowed us into a draft that SW rated and he probably had an idea he could get Smedts or someone else that he thought was worth it.

Our other comp is not so clear as to what its worth. What would a club trade for it? It can't be used this year even if we trade it so its main advantage is that it allows a ramping up of later picks , something that favors GC and GWS with a lot of similar aged players. For that they may even be willing give a few spots but I really doubt that we will get anywhere near pick5. Pick10-15 would be about it in my estimation.

Yeah I think it's almost certain that our compo pick will somehow end up with either GC or GWS this year. Maybe it will be a swap for Caddy. Maybe it will somehow end up with us getting a pick 9-13 or so. Maybe it will be used to bring in a lower value player and a slightly later pick like Gysberts and a 2nd rounder. Whatever it is I feel like it's a remote chance that we'll still have that compensation pick after this trade week because the value in delaying a pick is far greater to GC and GWS than it is to us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What about trading the compo pick + 1st rounder for Melbourne's 1st pick? Try to get Wines.

No thanks. I'm not sure Melbourne would do that either. We've based out entire success around getting the best out of very good players and not relying on the superstar draftee. I'd back us to get more out of 2 very good draft picks (say picks 12 and 20) than out of a single high pick like number 4.

The temptation of the early pick , the proverbial pot of gold. The blue sky hope of clueless clubs. Lets have a close look at what your suggesting if we replace picks with players.

For example in the 09 draft. We have an a late R1 and comp pick ( lets say for the sake of it make it worth R2 but its worth more than that ) Melbournes 1st pick are you talking their R1 , the their first comp pick , 2nd comp pick? Their R1 pick is P3.

In 09 this would mean we have trade P3 for P15 & P28 , expressed as players...
Dustin Martin for Dan Menzel and Mitch Duncan.

The point is .. just because someone like Wines is rated ( and I do rate him ) , there are players that Wells rates that we are less knowledgeable about. Wells almost ensures we will do better with the two later picks than one early one. In fact , in two draft recently we have traded an earlier pick for multiple picks slightly later. In 09 this tactic gained us Christensen and Vardy.

Of course even having an early pick , only ensures you get to pick before someone else. Clubs like Melb have shown an amazing inability to maximize early picks. In some regard they may be better of trading them for a known commodity.

Seems like our first rounder is either 11 or 12. Reckon we could pick up a good inside mid for that.

I don't think so. Melbourne have 2 compensation picks and the Bulldogs have 1 before us. Assuming WCE get up tomorrow we finish 7th which would give us pick 12 normally but that drops down to pick 15 with the compensation picks ahead of us.

Still we should be able to get a quality player for that. Hopefully we can use our compensation pick to get either Caddy or a pick around 10 on top of our pick 15. It will be good to go to a draft with a look at some of the top rated talent for a change.

Harry Taylor was 17....

Im sure there is a list of picks before him that, shall we say, have a clear relationship with a starchy vegetable from Ireland.

Point is, higher is helpful but not necessarily better...

Go Catters

Dont know if this is the best place to put this but anyway i was knocked down pretty quick when i suggested Matthew Primus to come here as an assistant to mainly help with our rucks and as a line coach. Most people were happy to suggest that we had Ottens looking after our rucks so we were fine. Well then can anyone explain to me why he isnt at our 1/4 and 3/4 time huddles. I have seen him there occasionally but not v Bulldogs (couldnt get to the Swans game) or most importantly at last nights final when we were up against the leagues best ruckman and he would have been needed the most, where was Brad Ottens? As far as i can see Dale Amos was talking to our ruckman the most, in fairness to Amos he's very good but he wasnt the Mr September ruckman. West is in basically his first full year of 1st ruck and Vardy has played 10 games, Dawson only a handful and Stephenson is in his first afl season. Now you tell me these guys couldnt do with the constant help of a bloke like Primus. With all due respect and admiration to Ottens he just wasnt out there when i think we needed him most. We should look at this option seriously.

Dont know if this is the best place to put this but anyway i was knocked down pretty quick when i suggested Matthew Primus to come here as an assistant to mainly help with our rucks and as a line coach. Most people were happy to suggest that we had Ottens looking after our rucks so we were fine. Well then can anyone explain to me why he isnt at our 1/4 and 3/4 time huddles. I have seen him there occasionally but not v Bulldogs (couldnt get to the Swans game) or most importantly at last nights final when we were up against the leagues best ruckman and he would have been needed the most, where was Brad Ottens? As far as i can see Dale Amos was talking to our ruckman the most, in fairness to Amos he's very good but he wasnt the Mr September ruckman. West is in basically his first full year of 1st ruck and Vardy has played 10 games, Dawson only a handful and Stephenson is in his first afl season. Now you tell me these guys couldnt do with the constant help of a bloke like Primus. With all due respect and admiration to Ottens he just wasnt out there when i think we needed him most. We should look at this option seriously.

100% agree. With our young ruck stocks and his previous senior coaching experience, we should be going all in to get him here as an assistant/ruck coach. No offense to ottobut if you can't commit and want to play at new town, then sorry.... And I'm pretty sure Matty would be happy to return close to family. Seems like a no brainier!!!!

Posted this in another thread but think its relevant here..

I watched the vfl today (good win) and in conjunction from other games during the yr, I believe the following:

Players who will make it - Guthrie, kersten, eardley (will make a great shutdown bp) and stringer.

Players who might make it -

hyphen (needs to improve his ball getting ability and marking to make it as a mid)

Schroeder (needs to work on his execution, too many possessions he gets are under pressure n needs more strings to his bow then merely handballing it out of congestion while being tackled).

Walker (needs to hang on to his marks and improve his skills or he is going to be the next playfair)

Brown (last shot in 2013 in my opinion, needs to get a bit more urgency in his game, be in defense or attack)

Bews (like his game and if he improves next yr, will be a decent running half back)

Other:
gillies we MUST keep as we have no other option. Only delist/trade him if we can get a replacement (silgvani).

Sheringham and Simpkin will always be depth players.

Dawson Simpson - give him one more yr to prove his worth. Will be 24 next yr and really has not come on as we would've liked. Need to perhaps go after a young no.1 ruck.

Trade target
Targets should be a key back, inside mid and no. 1 ruck.

Caddy, silgvani, hickey or Zach clarke/griffen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back