Mega Thread Essendon vs Richmond Review - Positives/Negatives & Changes vs GC Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

lynchy4610

Cancelled
Mar 10, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Thought Grigg was okay, good over head, missed a couple of goals though

Thursty was one of our better players, pretty much kept Reimers/Davey/Hille/Ryder in check whenever he was on them

McGuane was solid with next to no turnovers/fumbles

The guys who should be in the gun who played very poor games areRiewoltd Deledio, Nahas, Martin, Jackson and Post.

Nahas needs to know his limitiations and WTF are we doing kicking it to him in a contested situation from a kick out.

Deledio was barely sighted after that goal.

Jackson was near on WOG, poor kicking, too slow, he is so slow to turn or get rid of the ball.

Post - did he even play???? yes i saw 1 or 2 things he did but again missed a goal, and rarely sighted.

Yeah dusty kicked 2 good goals, but 14 possies and 3-4 turn overs that cost goals.

Not really sure what people expect of Hislop either, subbed on in the last and not really sure what role they expect him to play. Id rather he play as a small forward who puts pressure on and start the game, or don't play at all. Would have been perfect to have Graham or Tuck as a sub tonight as both could have swung the game (fresh ruckman or like for like replacing griffiths) or Tucky into the middle.

Out : Post, Nahas, Riewoltd, Jackson, Hislop (if white or connors could play)
In: Graham, Miller, Morton, Tuck, White/Connors if one fit

B: Newman, Rance, McGuane
HB: Houli, Thursty, Helbig
C: Edwards, Cotchin, Martin
HF: Morton, Vickery, Lids
F: Griffiths, Miller, King
R: Graham, Tuck, Foley
int: Grigg, Batch, Conca, White/Connors.Hislop

Positives / Negatives from Rich v Ess

Positives:
- Griffiths - great to see him running around. Good luck to him ! :thumbsu:
- Rance - made a couple of errors, but gee he has a crack
- Helbig - did some nice things. When he is fit enough next year I would love to see him do some shut down jobs

Negatives:
- Pretty much everything else
- Lack of players pushing for spots from Coburg

Re: Changes next week (why all the hate for grigg/thursty/mcguane tonight)

We need a ruckman, Thursty i don't like back there purely cos he won't be at the club in 4 months, Houli and Jackson both need to know that they can't play like that again, so drop them to the magoos for a week

Out: Thursfield Jackson Houli
In: Graham Morton Connors

Re: Positives / Negatives from Rich v Ess

Positves

Griffiths will be our CHF for the next decade if he can stay fit
Helbig looked composed and racked up possesions at will in the first half
Rance continues as our only decent KPB
Didn't start slow

Negatives

The rest
The commentating was disgraceful, cringeworthy, thankgod Lloyd is out of the job next year

• Banned

Pos: Thursty, Helbig, Cotch, King , Griffiths/Vickery combo

Neg : Jackson WOG too slow, Martin, Lids, nahas, picking post over graham.

Massive positive is I think we will have a killer forward line IF we can get a class ruckman, Imagen big McIntosh rucking with Vickery and a forward set up of the 3 big blokes in Jack, Griffiths and TV with McIntosh swapping with either Griff or TV.... King and White to apply the defensive pressure and a skilled goal kicker in Mitch Morton!!

Loved Thursty game, very underrated tonight. Won some big contests and played on the Talls in Ryder and Hille , the mid size in Reimers and the small in Davey and did a good job on every opponent he had

Positive tonight was Griffiths. If he can avoid injuries you have yourselves a genuine CHF for the future.

Also the ability to get in front in the first place. Yes the Tigers capitulated pretty badly, and its unforgiveable for players like Houli, who has been around long enough, to make that massive clanger in the back pocket, but players like Nahas will probably learn something from tonight.

Another positive is Dustin Martin, a couple of his goals tonight just looked like Leigh Matthews reborn. Not saying he'll reach that level, but I like the way he plays.

A question for you guys: Why was Houli playing in the back half and has he been taking your kick ins for a while? I thought, barring one or two mistakes he played an okay game and certainly kicked very well. I get the feeling though that the slip he made will be talked about and the good things he did ignored.

Positives:
- Vickery showed that he can compete in the middle and can hurt sides around the ground.
- The forward line worked weel for 2.5 quarters even with Jack having very limited impact. Post presented well, Griffiths took a couple of strong grabs and Vickery was also dangerous when he went down there. For the second week of playing together there are some good signs for the future.
- Helbig showed very good signs tonight having is best game for the club, will get a fair confidence boost from that effort.
- Our first 2.5 quarters as a team, would have been quite easy after last week to simply turn up and let the Bombers have a training run, but we hit them hard and took the game right up to them.

Negatives:
- The last 1.5 quarters where we just didn't give a whimper.
- Our senior players having no real impact on the game at all.

Changes:

Out: Grigg Thursfield
In: Morton Gourdis

Suggested changes

In: Patience
Out: Over Reactions

In: Effort
Out: Those happy with not showing it because it's all about development.

For me I can't understand how Tuck can't get a gig when our clearances suck.

In: Tuck, Graham, Morton
Out: Fumbles/Post, Jackson(even I'm on board now), Hislop/Nahas(at least needs to be told to go back to how he played early this year and not the same turnover crap he has showed of late and last year)

Negatives: No effort when the pressure is on and turnovers.. really worrying and I'm old school in that I think blokes should just be dropped to teach them if they don't show it. As has been mentioned with Lids being a downhill skier.. becoming a worry and I hate to admit it but it has been true of late. Houli and Newman.. we knew the knock on Houli was his softness when we got him but I don't think we realized how soft he really was, lovely kick but terrible with physicality, Newman well he can be frustrated all he wants but hes killed our momentum in two games we were controlling now with a terrible turnover resulting in a goal.. also was poor in not going hard to kill a couple of contests tonight.

Positives: Griffiths... don't think I have ever loved a point as much as the one he loaded up from 65m out, still looks like he could get injured at any time though. Rance is a dumb shit but you can carry one of these, especially one with the heart and courage that he has... he is far from perfect but is well ahead of Fumbles, Houli, Thursfield and possibly even Newman in the defense as a player.. will cost goals but will at the same time make up for it by saving plenty. Lastly Helbig, thought he had been mainly poor in his games this year but tonight showed he possibly does have a future with us.

A question for you guys: Why was Houli playing in the back half and has he been taking your kick ins for a while? I thought, barring one or two mistakes he played an okay game and certainly kicked very well. I get the feeling though that the slip he made will be talked about and the good things he did ignored.
Been playing in theback half all year because we are lacking some kciking skills down back.

Positives were the first and second year players in Griffiths, Helbig and Batchelor who has flown under the radar all year and hasn't really got the kudos he deserves for the effort he has put in in his first season.

Also good to see Cotch come back from a shocker last week with a good game. Dusty has been quiet for a few weeks and a couple of bad clangers in the backline, but he also adds some hurt value even in his quieter games especially with his goal kicking and kicks inside 50.

Haven't been a Thursty fan but thought he was pretty good for the first 3 quarters, but went missing in the last when the ball was coming in at pace.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Griffiths is an absolute gun. God I hope he can get his body right. We have a beauty there.
Poor performance after the 15 minmark of the 3rd quarter tonight.
To let a rubbish and soft side like that run oiver us was awful.

Mentally weak and we have a long way to go. B. Gale & co can talk all the shit they want but we are bottom four and will be for a while!

Grigg is rubbish.

+1

seeing as next week is against Gold Coast, who gives a crap if we win or lose, no pride is at stake.. time to try a new forward structure i reckon...

Forward; vickery, griffith, nahas, cotchin and king crumming

Centre; Houli, Tuck, Foley, Browne in ruck

Back; Delidio, Newman, Martin, Grigg, Rance

yeah, i know, you can't create a new gameplan now and expect the players to adjust to it, but Riewoldt has lost his ticker, cotchin works well up forward, Browne just has to learn the game or leave, same with Grigg, but a new game - defense or gtfo also and Martin needs to work on defense as well.

Positives
  • Winning a 1st quarter
  • the performance of some of the youngsters, Griffiths, Helbig, Batchelor and Conca
  • Vickery doing well in the ruck before he ran out of steam

Negatives
  • the last 1.5 quarters
  • the senior players not standing up

Changes

We come up against a Gold Coast side who will likely be without Ablett after he injured his knee. So we will largely be playing against kids, so we can play a team largely of kids ourselves (moreso than normal)/players we need to make a decision on, and still be competitive.

Some of our senior players need a rocket. Deledio and Grigg are just coasting, Newman is not providing sufficient leadership. I can't think of a stronger message to the playing group than dropping the Captain, a multiple B&F winner and a recent high profile recruit. Had we a kid to replace JR, I would've dropped him as well, but dropping him would mean Miller in which doesn't fit with my MO of playing kids.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in group that wants to trade Deledio/Reiwoldt etc. But they sure as hell need to know their efforts are not up to scratch and will not be tolerated.

Many of the preceding posts have dropped Daniel Jackson. I want to try him in the back line. He has some size and grunt about him. Whilst his disposal isn't amongst the best, even on our list, it is OK. He is also capable of playing accountable football.

So my changes would be as follows.

B: Gourdis Rance Jackson

HB:Houli Post Batchelor

C: Conca Cotchin Webberley

HF:Morton Griffiths King

F: Nahas Reiwoldt Hislop

Ruck:Vickery Martin Foley

Int: Helbig, McGuane, Nason

Sub: Farmer

Ins: Gourdis, Webberley, Morton, Nason
Out: Newman, Deledio, Grigg, Thursfield

I know this isn't the strongest team available to us but it fits my reasoning of playing the youngsters and sending a message to those underperforming senior players.

we only lost to essendon because griffiths did not play the full game!!!!

we may need to rest riewoldt i say that injury hes been carrying has taken its toll.
deledio needs a kick up the ass. martin looks tired/fatigued
grigg and houli are on thin ice you would think

with gold coast having no ablett brown and bock next week due to injuries. we should rest riewoldt as we have geelong the week after and let griff post and vickery develop more in the forward line. griff is going to be a star. thought he done his shoulder again when he went down on the wing in a tackle cos he punched the ground

If we can't beat GC next week, I ****ing give up. They will be Ablettless. If we lose, I am deleting my BF account, tearing up my membership, and storming the FTF compound and re-taking my $100. Don't drop Deledio, are you ****ing serious? Do you want him to ****ing leave? Honestly, if I were him, the 7 figures that the expansion teams would probably be offering him, looks pretty bloody good right now. He's been our best player consistently for the last 3-4 years, and you ****ing hacks want him dropped after one average game? Get real. Same goes for Jack. I'm all for leaving him out of the team if he's injured, but dropping him on form? Don't be bloody stupid. People say he has bad body language, but I see that as actually giving a ****, and wearing his heart on his sleeve. Next person to over react, I am going to bloody unleash upon you. Don't be stupid, we're young. Give it time. Stop wanting instant gratification, it's clear it isn't going to happen any time soon. Essendon beat Geelong last week, we got thumped by 17 goals. Seriously, what did you think was going to happen? I'm happy we came out breathing fire, and had a go early. We got run over by a legitimate finals contender, surprise, surprise. Get over it. Also, trade Grigg for Kepler Bradley. He is bloody woeful.

If we can't beat GC next week, I ****ing give up. They will be Ablettless. If we lose, I am deleting my BF account, tearing up my membership, and storming the FTF compound and re-taking my $100. Don't drop Deledio, are you ****ing serious? Do you want him to ****ing leave? Honestly, if I were him, the 7 figures that the expansion teams would probably be offering him, looks pretty bloody good right now. He's been our best player consistently for the last 3-4 years, and you ****ing hacks want him dropped after one average game? Get real. Same goes for Jack. I'm all for leaving him out of the team if he's injured, but dropping him on form? Don't be bloody stupid. People say he has bad body language, but I see that as actually giving a ****, and wearing his heart on his sleeve. Next person to over react, I am going to bloody unleash upon you. Don't be stupid, we're young. Give it time. Stop wanting instant gratification, it's clear it isn't going to happen any time soon. Essendon beat Geelong last week, we got thumped by 17 goals. Seriously, what did you think was going to happen? I'm happy we came out breathing fire, and had a go early. We got run over by a legitimate finals contender, surprise, surprise. Get over it. Also, trade Grigg for Kepler Bradley. He is bloody woeful.

Our senior players have been poor for 2 months now. It's not just one game. I don't want instant gratification, if it was that we would've been calling for it after the Port game or the Melbourne game or the Carlton game. Just want the senior players to play with some ticker.

Plus do you honestly believe he would leave because he'd been dropped?

Out of our core playing group, and the blokes that maintain they're "STICKING TOGETHER TO WIN A PREMIERSHIP AT RICHMOND", I see Brett as the weakest link. If I was him, and I got dropped at Richmond, I would pack my shit up and **** off, because there are about 16 blokes below him, who should be playing the twos. Be serious for a moment. He is our marquee player. Our No.1. Dusty may well take the mantle eventually, but right now, Brett is our best player for the forseeable future. Dropping him would just another bullshit knee jerk, Richmond typical over reaction. Why not sack Dimma while we're at it, and see if Jeff Gieschen wants to coach us again, and really put us 10 years away again?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Essendon vs Richmond Review - Positives/Negatives & Changes vs GC Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

Back