Fremantle Under Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Disagree, see my previous posts regarding Longmuir's first year.

If you wanted to engage the AFL loving community on a Fremantle topic that has some relevance it might be the decision making of the club hierarchy.
  • Signing Ross Lyon to a 5 year extension
  • Sacking a coach with 12 months to go @ aprox. $1,000,000
  • Having one of the worst injury lists for the last 8 years and nothing being done about it
  • Inability to attract good Assistant Coaches
  • Club theme song
  • Our 1st round draft picks from 2011-2016
  • Player retention

So many better ideas for threads than this thread with no evidence base and zero patience for a guy being put into a position with all the challenges previously listed. The FFC has plenty of issues, Longmuir is definitely not one of those...... yet. He may turn out to be a dud but all signs point positively compared to other 1st year head coaches that have come into the competition.

The Mark Neeld comment probably reinforces how little you understand about Melbourne under Neeld compared to Freo under Longmuir.

Gotta clear up a couple of things about your post.

One was the Ross lyon contract. He wasnt out of contract then bang we signed him to a 5 year extension.

The original contract was a 4 year deal from 2012-15. We then signed him on a 2 year extension until 2017 just after the 2013 grand final . We then signed him an extension again until 2020, just after the prelim final loss in 2015.

Also our 1st round picks from 2011-16. I dont think freos 1st round picks from 2014-16 wasnt bad. 2014 1st rounder got freo Lachie weller which ended up as Pick 2 in 2017 which was Brayshaw. we had no 2015 1st rounder as we traded that partially for Harley Bennell. The 2016 1st rounder was pick 3, but was traded to GWS for Cam McCarthy, Pick 8, pick 32 and 72.

Its freos 1st rounders from 2007-13 is what hurt freo.

2007: Rhys Palmer. Bog average. then went to GWS then went to Carlton.
2008: Stephen Hill. Decent until injuries hit him. Still played 200 games for us.
2009: Anthony Morabito. Excellent 1st season in 2010 until injuries hit.
2010: Jayden Pitt, the bloke we chose over Jack Darling. 20 games in 3 or 4 seasons and forced to reitire with a heart illness

2011: It was Tom Sheridan at 16 and Hayden Crozier at 20. Average role players.
2012: Josh Simpson. talented but impatient and had a bad attitude
2013: Michael Apeness. Made sense as we hoped cam mcarthy was taken. Made sense getting him as a 200 cm kpf ruck

I was being facetious. Sorry

See post above, I like what they are doing and was a small dig at a certain blue supporter base who likes to give it to my club
Don't worry about the Carlton contingent shouting from the roof tops. Despite what they think they know, they are only in second because of a gather round gifted win and much like Freo and Essendon they have done virtually nothing in 20 years.

I was surprised ( disappointed) they didn’t do more about it at the game
Maybe at the 200 games they chair him off ?
I ran to the bus straight after the final siren - they probably all felt the same! the open car parade may have been cancelled lol

Who at Fremantle was responsible for the Cerra trade which netted Jye Amiss?

Even more impressive, Lachie Schultz for pick 10 could down as one of the great clusterf***s from a Collingwood perspective.
Gives Longmuir an opportunity to build around an already established star, and another chance to add to that in this years national draft.

Even more impressive, Lachie Schultz for pick 10 could down as one of the great clusterf***s from a Collingwood perspective.
Gives Longmuir an opportunity to build around an already established star, and another chance to add to that in this years national draft.
The sky's the limit. We've just got to stop being weak as piss when the opposition turns up the heat.

We’re very good at trades
Just not so great at football

Honestly the more I look at it, the more those "mass exoduses" have worked out more in our favour from 2022 and 2023:

Logue: Injury prone, sad to see.
Acres: This one was a miss for us.
Lobb: Glad to see the back of him, only recently been performing well as a defender.
Henry: Injury prone, Sharp has been a far better player.
Hamling: Hasn't even played, would have gotten games for us this year.
Schultz: Been okay but hasn't lit the world on fire, fit our structure far more than he does Collingwood's.
Tucker: Usual bog average self.

Losing Hogan a couple of years back sucked but he was never going to become a Coleman level forward again in Perth with the media constantly hounding him, happy for him. Cerra seems to have been a bullet dodged too with his injury proneness.

So realistically out of all those players, the only ones we really miss are Hogan and Acres.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The supporters in their forum are now finally seeing what i has for 4 years now: Regarding the midfield.

And supporters tearing shreds on Darcy needing to go to the fat farm

Only have ourselves to blame if we miss finals, top four was served up on a silver platter but as soon as the going gets tough our players go to water, it's not good enough.

It's sad, the talent is there to beat the best teams, the killer instinct is not however. Feels like a wasted season, we definitely need a Bolton or Warner now more than ever.

The losses to the Eagles and Essendon were unacceptable

The rest could be classified as honourable
I’m giving JL a C+ for the home and away season given the late run of injuries to key players

So much promise in 2022 when they made finals with such a young, talented midfield group.

If they fail to make finals a second year in a row though they'd surely be disappointed.
We will, I think it shows a need to get one of Bolton or Warner in this off-season, more likely Bolton at this point.

After this weekend's results, probably can't make finals in 2024.

Where does this leave the coach?

We've had two horror losses (West Coast and Bombers) - but every team has this year. We've then also lost 6 games by less than two goals. Kind of the anti-Collingwood from the last couple of years.

It's a game of very fine margins, and sadly we've not stood up when it counts. There are a couple of mitigating factors (2nd/3rd youngest team, losing Pearce and Treacy at this back end of the season), but to be honest they would stand up as reasons we failed to make the top 4, not to miss out on finals altogether.

I don't think any Freo fan expected us to win the flag this year, but I certainly expected us to be a set and forget top 4 team between 2025 and 2029 - and to make at least two grand finals in that time. That's very hard to do if our finals experience is limited to 2022.

A failure to make finals for mine isn't so much about what it means for this season, but how it undermines the next five years.

If we scrape into eighth and a probable elimination final at the Gabba then that is a pass by the finest of margins. Failure to make the eight means some serious questions need to be asked.

We've had two horror losses (West Coast and Bombers) - but every team has this year. We've then also lost 6 games by less than two goals. Kind of the anti-Collingwood from the last couple of years.

It's a game of very fine margins, and sadly we've not stood up when it counts. There are a couple of mitigating factors (2nd/3rd youngest team, losing Pearce and Treacy at this back end of the season), but to be honest they would stand up as reasons we failed to make the top 4, not to miss out on finals altogether.

I don't think any Freo fan expected us to win the flag this year, but I certainly expected us to be a set and forget top 4 team between 2025 and 2029 - and to make at least two grand finals in that time. That's very hard to do if our finals experience is limited to 2022.

A failure to make finals for mine isn't so much about what it means for this season, but how it undermines the next five years.

If we scrape into eighth and a probable elimination final at the Gabba then that is a pass by the finest of margins. Failure to make the eight means some serious questions need to be asked.
Do you think an elite piece like Warner (or potentially peak Bolton) is enough to push the team over the top? Talent wise I do. Mentally though, not sure this group has 'it'. (Not sure my Blues have it either mind you).

It has indeed been a strange season. You are 2 games behind Geelong who are 4th, and you are sitting 9th. Usually the top 4 are well out of reach from outside the 8 by this time of year. But this season has been so close that all the teams in the 8 and just outside the 8 are not far off each other.

In saying this I wouldn't call this season a fail even if you don't make it. I'd say its just an off season. I feel the same about Collingwood, disappointed but I don't think we had a bad season. It's just too close between 1 all the way down to about 14th.

Remove this Banner Ad

Fremantle Under Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Back