Review GBU vs Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

The Good:

The bandaid is off

The Bad:

It ****ing hurts as its ripped off

The Ugly:

4 weeks ago all of us could see Jacobs was cooked and needed a rest. Doesnt matter if ROB wasnt ready. Innovate. Greenwood, Otten or CEY as ruck. Think!!

Just frustrating that our season has come down so hard we look like we are running in treacle.

Freo are sludge and we couldn't get a win

Atkins
Kelly
Jacobs
Mackay
Gibson

**** off immediately and forever please.
I agree that gibson isn't best 22 but he was putting in more effort than about 18 of our players today

Good: The facade is now over. Also, Doedee.

Bad: Lot's of things. But what angers me the most is the selection of Sam Jacobs. Yes we'd love to drop Atkins and Mackay and we should, but we have a genuine replacement in ruck who deserves his chance, and Jacobs has been repeatedly terrible, but we persist.

Ugly: Freo were $3.45 at the bounce. Smart punters made a killing.

General observations:
Fremantle are stone cold last in the league for uncontested possessions. They killed us by 70. SEVENTY. That's effort. We're physically and, more disappointingly, mentally cooked at Round 12.

We're using the same high press as 2017 but don't have accountable mids, so teams are killing us on turnover. It used to happen 2 or 3 times a game - almost by design we allowed it to happen - but now its happening 10 times a game. Essentially, Pyke's game style is still being implemented but without the personnel.

The season is over. We need to have the guts to admit it, put anyone who needs surgery (which is a few) in for surgery, expose as many SANFL players as we can across the remaining 10 games, and accept that we won't play finals. Load up at the draft for a mini-rebuild.

But we won't.

Our pre-season was an unmitigated disaster, as has been our injury management during the season. The best run clubs from the top don't allow that to happen. There are some deep issues at our footy club.
You would expect a side who has been under the pump would be desperate? We laid 52 tackles.

-I'm not sure why commentators and opposition supporters think they achieved something by beating us, we are currently a bottom 6-7 club. A rabble.

-It's not much point continuing to play the injured Tex. His reputation has taken a nose dive in the last 12 months because he is playing injured.

-Pyke continuing to select players like Mackay and Atkins is effectively fast forwarding his own demise.

-Where has the aggression gone. Currently playing like a Neil Craig aggression less team.

-Feel for Gibbs. has gone from one basket case to another.

-FU Burton and Roo.

-Operations get Rankine is in full swing.

I have no faith in the coaching group or fitness department. I want to say tank and hit the draft hard but it will all amount to nothing because those high draft picks will get coached by duds like Campo, Clarke and Hart. You can't rely on the fitness dept. to keep our guys on the park either. Basically nothing short of a massive purge at the end of the season would make me feel optimistic but I know this would never happen at Adelaide. We will keep doing the same shit and the results will remain the same.

No shit, I was at the game with my wife, shes fairly football savvy, but a West Coast supporter, there was an instance in the forward line where she turns to me and says "Who's No 28? Hes either really, really slow, or really, really lazy." Summed it up in a nutshell.
He just doesn't care once it's out of the stoppage

No shit, I was at the game with my wife, shes fairly football savvy, but a West Coast supporter, there was an instance in the forward line where she turns to me and says "Who's No 28? Hes either really, really slow, or really, really lazy." Summed it up in a nutshell.

There was a point where we had a fast break down the opposite wing, where Matt Crouch had the ball, and CEY was his outrider, and for a good 2 minutes of watching this play unfold I was concerned that I may have been watching a C grade game on community access TV. Then Crouch went and dropped the ball on a leading Jenkins shoelaces for a throw in, and my concerns were in fact confirmed.

Only found the Fox Commentary stream in the last quarter - Did Dwayne Russell leave his submarine-people behind in the box? I hate him more than anything else on the planet

Also saw Walker robbed of two goals by shit umpiring

missed the 2nd quarter, maybe I shouldn't have watched at all

Last edited by a moderator:
Good:
Doedee
Poholke did well
Brown
We know the season is over so maybe some changes will be made

Bad:
Jacobs is utterly done
Mackay, Douglas, Gibson are senior players who need to make way
Oh damn, we all know what is bad.

Ugly:
Gibbs getting a cheap shot, no free
Michael Walters is campaigner
Brown's injury
The umpiring was shit
The commentary was worse

Bad: Lot's of things. But what angers me the most is the selection of Sam Jacobs. Yes we'd love to drop Atkins and Mackay and we should, but we have a genuine replacement in ruck who deserves his chance, and Jacobs has been repeatedly terrible, but we persist.

General observations:
Fremantle are stone cold last in the league for uncontested possessions. They killed us by 70. SEVENTY. That's effort. We're physically and, more disappointingly, mentally cooked at Round 12.

We're using the same high press as 2017 but don't have accountable mids, so teams are killing us on turnover. It used to happen 2 or 3 times a game - almost by design we allowed it to happen - but now its happening 10 times a game. Essentially, Pyke's game style is still being implemented but without the personnel.

The season is over. We need to have the guts to admit it, put anyone who needs surgery (which is a few) in for surgery, expose as many SANFL players as we can across the remaining 10 games, and accept that we won't play finals. Load up at the draft for a mini-rebuild.

But we won't.

Our pre-season was an unmitigated disaster, as has been our injury management during the season. The best run clubs from the top don't allow that to happen. There are some deep issues at our footy club.

Good call apart from ROB being a genuine replacement. No way is this guy AFL quality but then again what have we got to lose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

(Damn "Josh" on 5AA just absolutely went OFF against Atkins!!!)

EDIT: because some people seem confused - Josh was a caller, not Jenkins (has anyone on this board ever called JJ "Josh"???)

Last edited:

General observations:

But we won't.

Actually we don't have a genuine Sauce replacement, ROB has turned to shite.

midfield was abysmal in that last quarter. against a fyfeless freo.

one positive was luke brown (minus injury) always feel safe with him on the last line. one of our reliable players.

Brown might want to stop turning the ball over by foot at every ****ing opportunity before I start calling him reliable. Outpoints Walters in the air, which is Brown's weakness, and then proceeds to kick it straight past 4 open Crows to the Docker beyond them.

Good: 2nd quarter, Doedee run down, Fog at the death, Brown, Talia

Bad: Atkins, Gibson, Mackay, Kelly

Ugly: Worst umpiring for a long, long time. Cost us the 4 points.
Fog did get better, but he was largely non-existent

Maybe at some point the coaching staff will finally notice that CEY isn't up to it, and we can try something, anything else, like Wilson or McPherson, because they couldn't possibly be any slower, and lack of pace in midfield is why we get murdered in transition by everyone.

I guarantee you, iron clad, that Wilson is not up to it either. McPherson is 2 games back from an LTI in his first year.

I agree now that CEY and Greenwood are not the answer. Maybe one of them, but not both. It doesn’t look like Matt Crouch can play well with these two either, although it may simply be that Matt is horribly out of form.

That first over the back goal looked like a set play to run off CEY and dart to the goal square. We have seen a ridiculous amount of over the back goals against us in the last month. It makes sense that an opponent would target our lack of pace this way.

CEY and Greenwood have to remain until we get players back though. Best of a bad set of options.

Good - Poholke, Gibbs, Doedee.

Bad - 4 losses on the spin. We are basically needing 4 pts next week away from home against ok opposition (you only need to be poor or below average to beat us so ok should be a breeze) just to give ourselves any hope at all to squeeze 8th.

Ugly - we dont know how to win close. Port, Giants and Freo were all winnable. Thats 12 competition points dropped imo. Thats us in 4th, heck 6th if we split the last 4 2-2. Good teams find ways to win the close ones.

Our defensive structure sucks so badly.

Pyke has lost so much trust, we knew he didnt have a plan B during a match but now we know he doesnt actually have any other plan at all and so persists with inferior cattle.

We dont drop people- which means our culture sucks. Players should live in fear of a trip down to the SANFL, the good blokes of the club know it wont happen. Again, Pyke is spineless.

We are 9 months after a GF appearance and our season is on life support and the doctors are only giving us 4 rounds to live (im suspecting mathematically maybe 6 depending on results) It just so happens that we play Hawthorn, WCE, Richmond and Geelong. We need 12 pts minimum over that stretch.

Rebuild isnt the answer. It doesnt work for any side. Unless you want a decade of pain. What we can do is be strategic and sit down and say "If Sauce, Dmac and Jenkins all get hit by trucks - who do we play?" And then play them for the rest of the year.

Get all of our guys healed up.

Fire our spuds in the box and in the gym and prepare for an assault at 2019 with a softer draw and a fit list.

Giving Rory an ultimatum is best imo. Decide your future now or you are in the 2s until you do. Vic sides wont come for a bloke who is injured and not playing 1s. If they do, we get decent compo anyway. Play the bloke who will replace him...which is Brad crouch anyway

Remove this Banner Ad

Review GBU vs Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back