Review GBU vs Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry, I don't consider someone who can only really contribute to one, very limited aspect of a game. He's been given a few chances now to prove what he is capable of, and I can easily say, it's not a lot.

You can pluck a multitude of players out of state leagues who might not have the greatest skills, but can get their hands dirty at the bottom of packs, and you know they will at least contribute in other areas of the ground and run hard for the team. CEY is honestly one of the laziest guys I have ever seen. He's good for winning the heavily contested balls and that is it. He's left trailing when we break fast, he's left trailing when the opponent gets the jump on us.

Id rather Hampton and his occasional brain farts by a long stretch after seeing more of CEY this year, and that says something. Hampton or Wilson deserve a chance now, because CEY is letting the team down. I dont put the blame on him, but our midfield is getting over run badly, and he is part of the problem.
This is what depth is though. Cam has played 3 or 4 really good games from 12, which is really what depth is capable of.

We aren't flush with top end picks to cover high quality outs.

He was played as a forward for WWT and showed good contested marking and good goal kicking accuracy.

I'm acutely aware of that, however he won U18 AA honours at Centre Half back the position he played almost exclusively during the 2016 Championships. Also heard him interviewed a couple of times and he considers his best position is down back.

Do or die game we lay a paltry 54 tackles.

That doesn’t come down to missing players, that comes down to a lack of intent. Our team has not turned up to play in our last 3 games.

That Collective Minds visit before the Melbourne game seems to have worked wonders.

See I personally think our intent (while still leaving a lot to be desired) actually looked better than the last few weeks. Our 2nd quarter was great, but the 2nd half fell away. My point being that we look unfit as hell. I think the intent was still there, or to an acceptable level, but the combination of a crappy fitness base, underdone players and a lot more youngsters in the team (although Freo had plenty) is killing us.

I'm acutely aware of that, however he won U18 AA honours at Centre Half back the position he played almost exclusively during the 2016 Championships. Also heard him interviewed a couple of times and he considers his best position is down back.
I think he is too valuble to Freo up forward. Not sure why SA didnt play him up foward in the champs, as we werent flushed with big forwards then.

Off point much? 33k for a new stadium is pretty shit. Whats your thoughts on your poor crowds after your government spent a billion dollars on a stadium for you?
"GBU v Freo" Pot Kettle Black???

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmm pretty sure they do. Lots of nonprofits have a significant portion of their staff unpaid.
It’s a non for profit organisation, some may volunteer their services, they know what they are getting in for.

We are a sporting club, we head hunted him. To suggest he should do it for nothing is idiotic, there is no other explanation.

Most if not all rucks present in the league can impact at ground level and are mobile. You have to be that to survive at this level (even Jacobs was prior to this season and he was the old guard). The days of the immobile tap ruckman has gone the way of the full forward who stays in the goal square; dead and never coming back.

What I am saying is an elite ruck isn't a nessecity to a good side, and the AFL has been like that since the turn of the millenium, if not longer. It's something that is nice to have, but isn't worth the investment.

Really good point. Nankervis, Tom Boyd and Jordan Roughead, McEvoy, David Hale, Max Bailey, Trent West and Mark Blake are all premiership ruckmen im the last decade. In the last 21 years, only a few All-Australian ruckmen have played in a grand final - Rehn in 1998, Cox in 2005/06, Lade in 2007 seems to be the complete list unless I've missed one.

I thought Milera was pretty good at HB.

Not much else to be positive about

I got on Freo at 2.96 during the week.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Milera seems to be one of a very few in our team playing with some energy. I've seen him a number of times over the last couple of weeks running to provide an option immediately after disposing the ball. Most of our other players just look tired and sluggish.

Hmm pretty sure they do. Lots of nonprofits have a significant portion of their staff unpaid.
Who was the last AFL coach who was not paid?

The idea is just stupid, so just stop!

We should have thrown the kitchen sink to get Lachie Neale 2 years ago when he was out of contract and also gone after Brodie Grundy before his value has soared this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review GBU vs Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back