Review GBU vs Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

I could probably point you to 10 "events" during the match, any of which could have resulted in us winning the game (we lost by less than 1 goal). The umpires are probably responsible for at least 4 of those "events".

If the umpires had been competent - we win. If Betts kicks straight, instead of kicking 2.6, we win. Betts wasn't the only player to miss gettable shots, he was just the most prominent (by virtue of having the greatest number of misses).

Lots of things went horribly wrong, yet for all that we only lost by 3pts. It doesn't take much to turn a 3pt loss into a win, and the umpires did make some major blunders which cost us goal scoring opportunities.
Against a rabble with key players missing. Yeah we were so unlucky.

No it isn't. That is not how rucks work.

Ruck is the only position that has more AFL quality players then actual positions, meaning it is not hard to trade for a ready made ruck on the cheap (it is practically what every club does now).

You'll notice we'll either pick up Lycett or a 2nd ruck from another club at the end of this season and that problem is solved.
Not many Grundys running around ATM.

Not many Grundys running around ATM.

Who says we need a Grundy. We just need a good, solid ruck.

I do see a Mumford like player not getting a game for North currently (Pruess), and I'm more than certain there are a few other clubs with well stocked rucks that are worth rading.

It's really is an easily fixed problem.

I do see a Mumford like player not getting a game for North currently (Pruess), and I'm more than certain there are a few other clubs with well stocked rucks that are worth rading.

It's easily fixed to break even. Not so easy to make your ruckman an offensive asset, like Gawn, Grundy or Natainui.

No they're not. They get picked because we have no other options. This club has no history of picking players for development.

McGovern got 20+ games in 2016, and even got retained after donuts. Milera got given a mighty long leash last season despite really slumping.

Oh we do pick players for development reasons under Pyke. Right now the player we're pumping games into is Fogarty (despite having no fitness base whatsoever).

Disposal count is good for a small forward. Turnovers are ok.

Turnovers clean up over time but will always be heightened when we aren't doing well. Small forward equally isn't a position where you'll get any more than 10-15 disposals for most games; especially when Betts is playing as the no.1 small.
I don't think he adds much of anything to the side at the moment. He's trying hard, but doesn't have a lot of impact on the game.

I think there is something to be said for the Coach being able to employ the assistants he wants though. The fact that our last two coaches inherited their assistants meant that they were pretty much lumped with what we had whether they like it or not.
If the senior coach wanted them gone, then they'd be gone by the end of the day. I think we all need to stop blaming our assistant coaches, and accept that several senior coaches have liked what they've seen from them and been happy with their performance.

Do or die game we lay a paltry 54 tackles.

That doesn’t come down to missing players, that comes down to a lack of intent. Our team has not turned up to play in our last 3 games.

That Collective Minds visit before the Melbourne game seems to have worked wonders.

Collective Minds is nothing more than a reminder to the players that the coaches blame them for the GF loss. And not their skill, but that they are mentally weak. Richmond were always going to wear down our overly tall and inflexible line up. Plus we took in injured players. This is all the doing of the coaches, our guys were given no hope. But good on the coaches for continuing to remind the players that they blame them completely. Strange it's not working.

I don't think he adds much of anything to the side at the moment. He's trying hard, but doesn't have a lot of impact on the game.

It's rare to have a small forward that does have a lot of impact on the game.

As long as his defensive pressure is there and is having a couple of plays offensively, he is doing more then enough to have a long career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DfX8MWJVQAAy1SB.jpg:large

It's easily fixed to break even. Not so easy to make your ruckman an offensive asset, like Gawn, Grundy or Natainui.

But that in itself isn't nessecary. Nice to have but investment is simply better off elsewhere.

Break even, good solid ruck on the cheap should be all we are looking at. Rucks are a wierd enough of a position that sometimes they kick on like crazy (Nankervis, Martin, Jacobs, even Sinclair).

The problem is that the midfielders aren't working back, which means that the defenders can't roll back quickly enough.
Because our midfield consists of slow inside mids and outside mids who refuse to man up or get brushed off in tackles. The loss of B Crouch and Sloane can only be covered for so long. Crouch is a unknown for next season and Rory needs to make his intentions clear so we can look to get another ready made mid who has a bit more outside to their game. Think we can carry one of Greenwood or CEY, but not both.

Against a rabble with key players missing. Yeah we were so unlucky.
Like I said... things went horribly wrong, yet we still only lost by 3 points. Reverse any 1 of 10-15 "event", and we win. Several of those "events" relate to poor umpiring decisions.

Are they to blame for us losing the game? Hell no. Would we have won if they'd done their job competently? Yes, we would have. We would also have won if Betts (and others) hadn't missed multiple gettable shots on goal.

A tiny bit of a difference between the two I would have thought.
Not really. Our outside mids are performing poorly because the inside mids are failing miserably in doing their jobs. So we get calls to sack the outside mids...

It's a team game, and both teams face the same problems. For some reason though, people are willing to make excuses for players at the lower level, when they're not prepared to give players in the senior team the same leeway.

But that in itself isn't nessecary. Nice to have but investment is simply better off elsewhere.

Break even, good solid ruck on the cheap should be all we are looking at. Rucks are a wierd enough of a position that sometimes they kick on like crazy (Nankervis, Martin, Jacobs, even Sinclair).
Are you talking about Aussie rules circa 2018? Because what I'm seeing, with the reduction in rotations and ruck rule changes, is a gravitation towards mobile ruckmen who can impact at ground level. If we want a "serviceable" ruckman then we have one in the twos.

You're right but the hard part is convincing the match committee that Jacobs is cooked and that we actually need a new ruck. I can see Sauce becoming the new Mackay - undroppable under any circumstance

Remove this Banner Ad

Review GBU vs Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back