Strategy Geelong 2024 best 22/23

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon that's just about bang on...

Take out rohan or neale for ollie henry and thats about right.
Cuthrie for knevitt probably if he makes it back but otherwise thats the 22 give or take the sub.

I like the look of Humphries but playing him over Tuohy on current form in a final would be insane. We'd never here the end of it if Tuohy repeatedly fumbled like Humphries did in the first half against Hawthorn. There are some posters around here who are obsessed with the idea that Tuohy and Duncan are cooked and no amount of good form will change that view. They're both easily best 22 currently.

I also think once push comes to shove O'Connor would be preferred to Knevitt or Humphries. That's a much tighter call than Tuohy though.

FB Henry De Koning Z.Guthrie
HB Stewart Kolodjashnij Duncan
C Tuohy Holmes Dempsey
HF Cameron Neale Miers
FF Stengle Hawkins Rohan
Fol Conway Bowes Dangerfield
Int Guthire Bruhn Blicavs Close

Left out Atkins, Blicavs as the 6th inside mid/2nd ruck. alternative Blicavs to the wing Tuohy out and Atkins as the last inside mid.

Cameron as a High leading KPF, means we don't need Blicavs on the wing for an outlet kick. Chose Rohan over O.Henry. Neale as a better size match for other teams intercepting talls over O.Henry.

Guthrie over O'Connor, I want as many good users behind the ball, we'll miss the running power but a stronger midfield should protect our defence from being as vulnerable. Better ball movement will mean that when we do defend we'll be doing from further up the ground.

A lot changes in a month, I couldn't conceive a situation where Hawkins wouldn't be selected by default. Our ruck stocks got so bare that they took a gamble. Stewart in the middle so he doesn't have to beat a tag.

FB Tuohy Henry Z.Guthrie
HB Holmes Kolodjashnij Duncan
C Dempsey Bruhn Blicavs
HF Miers Neale Close
FF Rohan Cameron Stengle
Fol De Koning Dangerfield Bowes
Int Humphries Guthrie Stewart Mannagh

With Stewart moving to the middle, to avoid the tag, Atkins doesn't have a spot. Didn't consider anyone else for a spot

We're weak in the 1 on 1s down back and on paper we really don't have much intercept potential but Stewart was providing zero while being tagged so we've lost nothing. We don't have a single small down back who can't move the ball with accuracy or pace.

We're weak aerially in the forward half but we're carrying a lot less dead weight. No Hawkins no O.Henry. Our ground level pressure would be off the charts, all of the smalls are goal threats. The work rate is needed to help prevent our defence from being exposed.

We have players to rotate through the wings, the players named won't be dedicated wingmen.

Guthrie to be a rebounding defender and last midfield rotation. Him Tuohy and Duncan will switch between each other to be the releasing kick based on positioning.

De Koning at ground level could be the extra thing that gets our inside game working at CB, around the ground matters less. We'll try to manufacture a +1 to get the ball into space after a turn over.

The name of the game is to get the ball into space and move it fast once we hit open grass. If we can't get the ball into open grass, retain the ball for as long as possible. Shift angles and creep the ball forward one small kick at a time, get territory and set up.

A lot changes in a month, I couldn't conceive a situation where Hawkins wouldn't be selected by default. Our ruck stocks got so bare that they took a gamble. Stewart in the middle so he doesn't have to beat a tag.

FB Tuohy Henry Z.Guthrie
HB Holmes Kolodjashnij Duncan
C Dempsey Bruhn Blicavs
HF Miers Neale Close
FF Rohan Cameron Stengle
Fol De Koning Dangerfield Bowes
Int Humphries Guthrie Stewart Mannagh

With Stewart moving to the middle, to avoid the tag, Atkins doesn't have a spot. Didn't consider anyone else for a spot

We're weak in the 1 on 1s down back and on paper we really don't have much intercept potential but Stewart was providing zero while being tagged so we've lost nothing. We don't have a single small down back who can't move the ball with accuracy or pace.

We're weak aerially in the forward half but we're carrying a lot less dead weight. No Hawkins no O.Henry. Our ground level pressure would be off the charts, all of the smalls are goal threats. The work rate is needed to help prevent our defence from being exposed.

We have players to rotate through the wings, the players named won't be dedicated wingmen.

Guthrie to be a rebounding defender and last midfield rotation. Him Tuohy and Duncan will switch between each other to be the releasing kick based on positioning.

De Koning at ground level could be the extra thing that gets our inside game working at CB, around the ground matters less. We'll try to manufacture a +1 to get the ball into space after a turn over.

The name of the game is to get the ball into space and move it fast once we hit open grass. If we can't get the ball into open grass, retain the ball for as long as possible. Shift angles and creep the ball forward one small kick at a time, get territory and set up.

I think the end game for 2024 is swapping out Bruhn for Clark and hoping that Stewart/De Koning improve enough that we are competitive in the midfield against stronger teams. I'm pretty confident Mannagh will hold his spot as well but I don't think C.Guthrie makes an impact this season.

I don't think it's out of the question that we finish top 4 and are competitive in the finals but it feels like a long shot.

I think the end game for 2024 is swapping out Bruhn for Clark and hoping that Stewart/De Koning improve enough that we are competitive in the midfield against stronger teams. I'm pretty confident Mannagh will hold his spot as well but I don't think C.Guthrie makes an impact this season.

I don't think it's out of the question that we finish top 4 and are competitive in the finals but it feels like a long shot.
True, but it's just about getting into the top 4 and going hell for leather in that first final.

Even if we're not really the best team in it, or even a true contender in any other year, suddenly we've got a home prelim with one foot in the Grand Final.

In a year that's so even, that might be all it takes. Somebody is going to do it.

True, but it's just about getting into the top 4 and going hell for leather in that first final.

Even if we're not really the best team in it, or even a true contender in any other year, suddenly we've got a home prelim with one foot in the Grand Final.

In a year that's so even, that might be all it takes. Somebody is going to do it.
If we happen to get the Blues in the first final Iā€™d be relatively optimistic if we go in with a fit and in form 23. I have no expectations though this season so really anything we achieve is a bonus.

I like the look of Humphries but playing him over Tuohy on current form in a final would be insane. We'd never here the end of it if Tuohy repeatedly fumbled like Humphries did in the first half against Hawthorn. There are some posters around here who are obsessed with the idea that Tuohy and Duncan are cooked and no amount of good form will change that view. They're both easily best 22 currently.

I also think once push comes to shove O'Connor would be preferred to Knevitt or Humphries. That's a much tighter call than Tuohy though.

In finals at the MCG we are going to struggle to defend fast transition with both tuohy and duncan there.

I expect duncan to stay and reg to drop out however i agree its possible he drops out for oconnor (if in form) or guthrie (if fit) rather than humphries. We shall see.

In finals at the MCG we are going to struggle to defend fast transition with both tuohy and duncan there.

I expect duncan to stay and reg to drop out however i agree its possible he drops out for oconnor (if in form) or guthrie (if fit) rather than humphries. We shall see.

We're like three talls down, we'll be fine

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont think we will be.

What would be the origin of the fast transition? When we're deep we set up our Ruckmen behind the ball hindering direct play. At a stoppage either Stewart pulls from the defensive side of the stoppage to be the plus 1 or we're starting with the plus 1. If they want to go fast they have to either go to a contest or switch the ball which buys us time.

Teams don't really burn us on the fast break, we want teams to try a fast break it is how we get forward half turnovers. Without it we struggle to kick a winning score. Its the slow build up that kills us they make the ground wide and we're forced to guard grass until they get the ball I50 and pin us in with structure. We can't go through it aerially as we're light or at a ground level contest. We have to kick through it or around it, which is where we got stuck.

I am really enjoying the mix of youth and veterans atm we are using but i still think we are carrying 1 to many forwards.

Close Cameron Miers
Stengle Neale Rohan

With Mannagh on the Bench and OH as sub

I think by finals we have to drop one of these for balance.

Rohan and OH are the most interchangeable but i want both in the team as they both provide elite things although different.

Rohan allows the rest of our forward line to shine through the sheer speed and pressure he brings.
OH has a real knack for kicking goals at important times.

As for the others they all play a different role to OH/Rohan who play as a third tall marking option.

Miers is the best inside 50 kick/decision maker in the comp the kick he did to Cameron in the Pies game was ****ing god tier
Stengle is our most dangerous small forward
Close like Miers is a great linkman who is still very dangerous inside 50
Mannagh right now is a complete player with his tackling, chasing, decision making and scoring ability
Cameron is one of the best forwards not just right now but for the last decade
Neale is showing signs that he will 100% make it and is crashing packs, clunking marks, kicking goals and even helping with ruck work

I do not envy the MC if they do decide to go with 1 less forward for balance.

I am really enjoying the mix of youth and veterans atm we are using but i still think we are carrying 1 to many forwards.

Close Cameron Miers
Stengle Neale Rohan

With Mannagh on the Bench and OH as sub

I think by finals we have to drop one of these for balance.

Rohan and OH are the most interchangeable but i want both in the team as they both provide elite things although different.

Rohan allows the rest of our forward line to shine through the sheer speed and pressure he brings.
OH has a real knack for kicking goals at important times.

As for the others they all play a different role to OH/Rohan who play as a third tall marking option.

Miers is the best inside 50 kick/decision maker in the comp the kick he did to Cameron in the Pies game was ****ing god tier
Stengle is our most dangerous small forward
Close like Miers is a great linkman who is still very dangerous inside 50
Mannagh right now is a complete player with his tackling, chasing, decision making and scoring ability
Cameron is one of the best forwards not just right now but for the last decade
Neale is showing signs that he will 100% make it and is crashing packs, clunking marks, kicking goals and even helping with ruck work

I do not envy the MC if they do decide to go with 1 less forward for balance.
That was my thinking too. And agree that I think one might go out of the 22. But reckon it will be to sub.

Henry/Rohan and Mannagh have all done well as subs. Now all of them are better in the 22 than sub but better sub than out!

You also neglected to put Hawkins in the mixā€¦but i suppose if they go down that route it is a pretty easy sub for Neale

That was my thinking too. And agree that I think one might go out of the 22. But reckon it will be to sub.

Henry/Rohan and Mannagh have all done well as subs. Now all of them are better in the 22 than sub but better sub than out!

You also neglected to put Hawkins in the mixā€¦but i suppose if they go down that route it is a pretty easy sub for Neale
Yes if Hawkins comes back in it is for Neale only

I still think having a more rounded player as sub is better e.g a Duncan, Tuohy, MOC etc

B: Stewart SDK JHenry
HB: ZGuthrie Kolo Tuohy
C: Holmes Dangerfield Duncan
HF: Close Cameron Stengle
F: Miers Neale OHenry
R: Stanley Atkins CGuthrie
I: Blicavs Bruhn Bowes Dempsey
SUB: Mannagh
E: Humphries O'Connor Hawkins

Mannagh is best 22 by a mile.
And humphries should get picked.

Cuthrie is cooked and wont get back in time.

Mannagh and humphries for tuohy and cuthrie.
Its between tuohy and rohan for the sub vest.

Mannagh and humphries are in.

Out tuohy and one of o.henry or bruhn.

Yeek just realised you have cam guthrie in. He is gone for season.

Mannagh and humphries are in.

Out tuohy and one of o.henry or bruhn.

Yeek just realised you have cam guthrie in. He is gone for season.

Agree on mannagh and humphries

Ollie wont be out unless its for rohan (one will play)

Tuohy will be out and i think bruhn stays in

Be interesting to see if stanley can get his body through finals

I think we have to pick neale ahead of hawk now (i expect hawk gets a farewell game vs wce though).

Using last nights 23 as the base.

I think the only ins are going to be Rohan and SDK

Mullin will be out and I would hope the other out is 2E. Otherwise I donā€™t know who else comes out.

I know there is an argument that Henry and Rohan canā€™t play in same team but for me both a good sub options so reckon they stay in the 23

The only other possible out could be Stanley if we were happy with SDK and blitz in ruck? That might depend on opposition.

I donā€™t see Hawkins getting back in (not sure he will be ready anyway). Just canā€™t drop neale imo

Using last nights 23 as the base.

I think the only ins are going to be Rohan and SDK

Mullin will be out and I would hope the other out is 2E. Otherwise I donā€™t know who else comes out.

I know there is an argument that Henry and Rohan canā€™t play in same team but for me both a good sub options so reckon they stay in the 23

The only other possible out could be Stanley if we were happy with SDK and blitz in ruck? That might depend on opposition.

I donā€™t see Hawkins getting back in (not sure he will be ready anyway). Just canā€™t drop neale imo

I agree mullin and 2E are the obvious outs.
I think you could play both rohan and henry in the 23 but one of them has to be sub (rohan) or its too many fwds in the 22 (as mannagh is a lock now).
Question is do you want rohan as an impact sub or do you want someone who is more positionally versatile like 2e or knevitt?

Stanley is definitely a possible out depending on opponent but i think structurally we are better with a proper ruck IF his knee can get through back to back games. It wouldnt surprise me if we rest him vs wce and give him a fortnight off so we can nurse him through 3-4 finals hopefully.

Hawkins will be the big call..for me its 2011 all over again and hes a backup like mooney was but the coaches will he be tempted if hes fit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Geelong 2024 best 22/23

Remove this Banner Ad

Back