Review Geelong defeats Hawks by 5 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Another paper over the cracks win

Players to come back, All of last years Prelim finalists are struggling at the moment.

Too early to make any call on our form.

We got the win, some positives there, we are going ok.

Hawks kicked 9 goals and I think 4 were from free kicks.
This happened against Brisbane as well.
Maybe it’s not the umpires it’s the way our defenders defend
I do wish Hawk wasn’t so big though and could be thrown around because that’s all Mitch Lewis did today was be sh*t and got rewarded for it
It's pretty simple. Against the really tall timber our kpds are undersized and have to do whatever they can in a 1-1. A few of the frees aren't there but are paid because we lose benefit if the doubt.

It's why I was advocating sticking Kreuger in the backline or rotating a second ruck there even if the players that we put there aren't much chop. You can't teach 2m tall

Hoping Holmes pulls up ok after todays match - felt sorry for the youngster as you could see him cramping up early in the last quarter, trying to stretch it out in the middle of the ground before he was able to make his way off

It way good to see him return to the field after they, just be interesting to see how he pulls up this week
welcome to AFL, a tough intro, hot, sunny and nasty...

I’ll admit I’m fast becoming a fan as his kicking and running is elite ...I feel incredibly dirty

Why? Do you know how close he was to coming to Geelong back in his draft year? A bees dick.

He's a great guy and a Carlton supporter. Don't align him with Hawthorn they never deserved him.

I know he makes mistakes, but can't fault Atkins' efforts. Both last week and this week he screwed a kick but was on the opposing player like a flash to at least force a 50/50 instead of a clean turn-over. The young players would do well to follow his work ethic.

(Plus, I think he hasn't done too badly down back.)

As for Constable, man... I so want him to make it. That second quarter was fantastic, but then he just faded out of the game again. I can't understand it - yes yes, fitness is probably the reason, but has anyone seen a player with so much potential but seemingly zero stamina?

Agree. I used to be irritated on his behalf however he has been on the list for a while now and still can't run out a game. That is on him.

Its a pity its not like yester year - and they still had that late edition of the Melbourne Herald Newspaper in circulation .

You can just picture it - early evening as the punters file past Flinders St station and popular walkways - there would be all the paper kids or paper boys with their stack of Heralds - and they would be holding one to the sky - and they would be yelling out one thing - and one thing only - and that is

" Hawthorn got beat - Hawthorn got beat - Read all about it - Read all about it "

Realistic and sensible Geel supporters know that the Cat side that took to the field today isnt much chop - however there is a glint of hope - Dangerfield the champ back the following week - Cameron hopefully over his injuries - Menegola pretty good player - and even Gary Rohan ( terrible GF record ) - but still easily in Geelongs best 22

The bottom line for me - whenever The Cats triumph over The Hawks - im quite joyous - end of story - end of post .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably doesn’t matter much with the hammy now but Higgins hasn’t been particularly hard at the ball so far with us, a couple of ordinary efforts today. Also a bit flippant with his ball use, has swung on to the left a few times when it’s a bit unnecessary and missed whatever targets he was aiming for. I expect a lot more from these experienced top up players, like I always have of Dangerfield. I’d much rather watch a player we’ve developed over the years give their all than someone not giving us all they have.

Perhaps I’m struggling to emotionally connect with this current team and the imports cop the brunt of it. The game style isn’t helping. Not only is it boring at times, we invite the pressure by not making the most of momentum when we have it.
Agree. Although far from our worst in the first three games, I haven’t seen much from Higgins to be enthused about. I haven’t really seen examples of the vaunted Footskills and vision. Perhaps suffers by unfair comparison to Smith’s first three games for us.
Way too early to judge of course but a hammy ain’t going to help.

Last edited:
Agree. I used to be irritated on his behalf however he has been on the list for a while now and still can't run out a game. That is on him.

100% - I thought he was unlucky not to get more opportunity last year but it's getting to the point where it's pretty obvious this isn't something that's going to be quick fix (and as you implied, it's been an issue for years).

It's pretty simple. Against the really tall timber our kpds are undersized and have to do whatever they can in a 1-1. A few of the frees aren't there but are paid because we lose benefit if the doubt.

It's why I was advocating sticking Kreuger in the backline or rotating a second ruck there even if the players that we put there aren't much chop. You can't teach 2m tall
Kreuger is 196, he is 3cm closer than Kolo and about 113 games further away from stopping those forwards.

Edit: also 6kgs lighter than Kolo according to his bio.

We need the second ruck so we can keep Blicavs down back imo.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Geelong defeats Hawks by 5 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Back