Autopsy Geelong lose to Richmond by 26 points.. but it really wasnt that close

Remove this Banner Ad

And when is the last time sav played primarily as foward in a game that wasnt pissing down with rain? Gold Coast round 5.

Round 13 versus Adelaide - played on a sunny Sunday afternoon

Ratugolea had 9 disposals, 2 marks, 1 behind & 4 hitouts

They went with Blicavs as the second ruck option & to give Stanley a chop out for bulk of the match, such was the lack of impact from Ratugolea

That match Rat started brightly with a good first 5 minutes and then virtually invisible until the last quarter

The moment I hung my head was in the first quarter. One-on-one ground-ball contest between Menegola and Martin. Martin went 100% at the ball. Menegola played it like someone scared of getting hurt and dusty took the ball and ran away. You've got to want it more than anything, and if you don't, you'll lose to teams that do.
Glad you spotted that. I've never seen such fear as Menegola showed during the final with Adelaide a few years back. I was right on the fence and the poor bloke was quivering during the warm up. Don't blame him - they were full power ranger that night.

How funny would it be if the Eagles and us win next week and Adelaide pip Richmond and they finish 5th after all? :cool:

I think Adelaide will get closer than most people give them credit for - they'll want to end on a win and perhaps avoid the spoon - but West Coast would have to hammmmmmer North

It's amazing how one game changes everything.

Before tonight Sav wasn't in my best 22, but IMO if we want to beat Richmond then we have to play him at CHF with Stanley in the ruck and Blicavs to FB, meaning one of Taylor or Henderson needs to go.

Getting Ablett, Selwood and Rohan back in will be great but we need a better spine to beat the Tigers.
Given how we have gone in the last eight rounds, do you think it is worth considering only using this option against Richmond. Still think we need Stanley in ruck, but I’m not convinced we need Sav in there against all teams, especially if we have Rohan. Im a SavRat fan, but I’m not sure he gets picked for each final at this stage. I think next year, he has to be given a really good run at it though; he’s still young and huge upside

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Adelaide will get closer than most people give them credit for - they'll want to end on a win and perhaps avoid the spoon - but West Coast would have to hammmmmmer North
As will Swans. Let's worry about our own backyard. We must win that. Tigers are capable of not losing again this year. That can not be said about us.

So did Scott just not do a Press Conference tonight, or have i missed it?
Can't talk for last week as I didn't keep watching anything after our game, but after the Dogs game he's press conference was really really late, like a good 30+ minutes after Beveridge gave his

It happened just before 7 finished their coverage as they only covered like 2 questions, and not much more on Foxtel which had already gone to their next program

Not sure why it's so late or maybe Scott spending extra time talking to the playing group after a shit performance

Game was lost at selection very dissapointing performance. Arrogant to pick a debutant and change structure against such a good team. We have the team and game plan to win again. But we should all be nervous not knowing if the best team will be picked for finals. Some very good players to come back in. But still a really poor effort just before finals.
Yes it’s a worry. The selection jitters. Select best team next week. The team they think will be there week 1 of finals.

I have one question.

If we fail yet again, in finals, when it matters most, after another strong home and away year... what does it mean for Scott and the club. What does it mean for you supporting this club?

I ask everyone.

If he can’t kick then what’s the point?
It'll get up the point where opposition teams allow him to mark the ball and they set up for either a kick in from behind or turn over from his kick

Having a second tall forward would be good, but they have to provide value in that role otherwise the opposition won't respect them & we're basically playing a man down

Really poor coaching from Scott to bring in Jarvis and have him play a defensive role on Grimes. If you want to make him accountable so he doesn’t drop off in front of Hawkins you have to play through his man. A first gamer wasn’t the right choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent point.
I thought Jarvis worked pretty hard; he just wasn't experienced enough to make any kind of meaningful impact. Not discouraged by his debut on the whole.

The silver lining is that Gary X Touches Rohan will be hopefully be filling the same role next time we encounter them, and hopefully Grimes will be made more accountable just as you identified ...

I'm sick of us having a million structural question marks on the eve of finals. Every freaking year for the last decade ffs.
So you can not accept reality? Or you are sick of the reality?
Do you have the answers?
Anyone saying and thinking we can just slot back in <GAJ,> Rohan, Sel, Stanley, Steven and all will be fine is deluded.'There are ???????? simply because each of those players is IFFY. We can not say with certainty that they will a). get up to play, b). remain uninjured.

I have one question.

If we fail yet again, in finals, when it matters most, after another strong home and away year... what does it mean for Scott and the club. What does it mean for you supporting this club?

I ask everyone.

I think a lot of us have been asking this for a few years now.
I must admit I was slowly getting sucked in yet again this season.
We've changed ... ?

An upgrade in personnel is our only hope now, apparently - and it's not a bad one as they go.

Given how we have gone in the last eight rounds, do you think it is worth considering only using this option against Richmond. Still think we need Stanley in ruck, but I’m not convinced we need Sav in there against all teams, especially if we have Rohan. Im a SavRat fan, but I’m not sure he gets picked for each final at this stage. I think next year, he has to be given a really good run at it though; he’s still young and huge upside

Horses for courses selection?

Pick the best team & structure for the opposition - even if that means someone who's been good misses out if it's not right structurally

It's amazing how one game changes everything.

Before tonight Sav wasn't in my best 22, but IMO if we want to beat Richmond then we have to play him at CHF with Stanley in the ruck and Blicavs to FB, meaning one of Taylor or Henderson needs to go.

Getting Ablett, Selwood and Rohan back in will be great but we need a better spine to beat the Tigers.
Absolutely, and I was of the same line of thought. We need 2 big bodied forwards. Watching Hawkins struggle was a slog. Feel like a fit Stanley is the most important piece of the puzzle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Geelong lose to Richmond by 26 points.. but it really wasnt that close

Remove this Banner Ad

Back