Autopsy Geelong lose to Richmond by 26 points.. but it really wasnt that close

Remove this Banner Ad

I have one question.

If we fail yet again, in finals, when it matters most, after another strong home and away year... what does it mean for Scott and the club. What does it mean for you supporting this club?

I ask everyone.
Will get a 4 year extension.
Changes nothing. I’ll always support the club. As much as they can frustrate me, I bleed blue and white. Always will.

Given how we have gone in the last eight rounds, do you think it is worth considering only using this option against Richmond. Still think we need Stanley in ruck, but I’m not convinced we need Sav in there against all teams, especially if we have Rohan. Im a SavRat fan, but I’m not sure he gets picked for each final at this stage. I think next year, he has to be given a really good run at it though; he’s still young and huge upside
While both the ball movement and delivery inside 50 were shit, you can't kick 1 goal in 3 quarters and not make changes I don't care who you're playing.

For me against Sydney I'm loading up forward with Hawkins, Ratugolea, Ablett, Rohan, Dahlhaus and Miers.

I'm also putting Blicavs to FB and having Stanley ruck with Sav.

They have that laser handpass/tap. So fast, seem to know exactly where the others will be in the chain.
Geez they made our reflexes look slow, and started with Dusty flat footing Menegola.
Even Guthie, with his usually ferocious attack on the ball was beaten to it. They looked shocked.

The only positive spin you can put on it - ( and the opposition had a bit to do with it ) was how poorly Geel played - the mistakes they made - Guthrie streams out of the centre - kicks it straight to a Rich player . Miers again being selfish - didnt give the 1st option handpass - and gets caught holding the ball - Henry ( in a similar position on the ground to Miers ) gave a shocking handpass to Dangerfield . Dalhaus handpass to Hawkins - terrible

Geelong couldnt have played any worse - the unforced errors there were stacks of them

Given how we have gone in the last eight rounds, do you think it is worth considering only using this option against Richmond. Still think we need Stanley in ruck, but I’m not convinced we need Sav in there against all teams, especially if we have Rohan. Im a SavRat fan, but I’m not sure he gets picked for each final at this stage. I think next year, he has to be given a really good run at it though; he’s still young and huge upside

Yeah, I think he was a benefactor of Stanley being out.

Rohan in is really key here. No chance teams peel off Rohan to double-team Hawkins as easily - and if they do, Rohan knows how to get them on the rebound.

Yeah, as much as it was fun watching us hand Essendon their arse, my mind went back to the last team that made it hard for us to play: Adelaide. We need games like these to improve.

In some ways we were not hard enough tonight but I'm not worried about our ability to be hard enough in a final.

It's the forward setup. Not scoring, or not keeping it in there is the problem. The first quarter tonight we were getting plenty of pill and plenty of F50 entries, for nothing.

The same has happened in some of our bad finals first quarters; we've actually had a small ascendancy but failed up forward.

The main thing the side needs to do is learn how to scrounge some goals when the pressure is on early. After that I think we are as good a chance as anyone else.
Problem is we just don’t spend enough time forward in big games. Cats never looked liked scoring tonight. Grimes was BOG .

You guys all have anger issues.
It's footy.

We are in lockdown ffs.
I honestly won't see my parents for another year. And they are 82. So possibly never see them again.

Get over it. It's no big deal. Games are fun. You win, you lose, you move on.
Sorry about your family situation. But if that's your perspective then why are you here on a footy forum exactly?

A little disappointing, but not a shock result. We had quite few guys turn in some poor performances under real pressure. But I’m excited to see what happens in the finals, and they get another chance to turn their reputations around.

It almost seems to go unnoticed as we tend to capitulate almost completely as a group but to me Dangerfield has not been a regular big game performer for us. He is capable of becoming a Geelong legend but he’s got to play some big finals games to join that company.

I enjoyed Tommy Stewart’s game early, he was ice cool with the ball when everyone else was falling apart.

Looking forward to getting Joel, Stanley, and the Gazzas back.

A little disappointing, but not a shock result. We had quite few guys turn in some poor performances under real pressure. But I’m excited to see what happens in the finals, and they get another chance to turn their reputations around.

It almost seems to go unnoticed as we tend to capitulate almost completely as a group but to me Dangerfield has not been a regular big game performer for us. He is capable of becoming a Geelong legend but he’s got to play some big finals games to join that company.

I enjoyed Tommy Stewart’s hame early, he was ice cool with the ball when everyone else was falling apart.

Looking forward to getting Joel, Stanley, and the Gazzas back.

I think Dangerfield tries to do too much in finals - which is frustrating - I think if he relaxed it a bit and brought others into the game rather than perform miracles we'd be in a better spot.

Lingy got stuck into him tonight, too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not going to be much of a forum if we all just sat back after a game and said: Well, we've had a good run for awhile so you win some you lose some cya!
Healthy debate and discussion is great, it’s the usual suspects that remain bitter and keep bringing up past finals failures the last few years. This kind of stuff is in the past and not relevant to season 2020. They should think themselves lucky they don’t barrack for Saints, Dees, Blues etc. At least we keep on putting ourselves in a position to give ourselves a chance. Too many have been spoilt over the years

It's footy.

We are in lockdown ffs.
I honestly won't see my parents for another year. And they are 82. So possibly never see them again.

I’m only 31 so my parents are just of retirement age but if it were the case with my parents I’d be breaking the rules and cop a $1600 Fine.
Family is more important and would happily pay money to spend time with my elderly parents.
Here’s hoping to another few years of strong health mate.
All the best with them

Excellent point.
I thought Jarvis worked pretty hard; he just wasn't experienced enough to make any kind of meaningful impact. Not discouraged by his debut on the whole.

The silver lining is that Gary X Touches Rohan will be hopefully be filling the same role next time we encounter them, and hopefully Grimes will be made more accountable just as you identified ...

Agreed. He showed some encouraging signs although he does look to have an awkward kicking action. It was a massive ask for him to come in and play that role in his first game though. Even more so considering the opposition.
Rohan is the ideal matchup. Leads up at the ball carrier which leaves Grimes with a decision to make; go with him or peel off and go third-man up against Hawkins. It’s imperative we play through Rohan early in the game to force his hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was billed as the H&A game of the year and we didn’t turn up. There wasn’t much to get excited about either.

6 wins on the trot a bit flattering. Look at crows, bulldogs and tigers games. Not top 4 type quality performances.

It's footy.

We are in lockdown ffs.

Sorry to intrude, but this perspective meant that I had to. Good luck to you, I hope you see your parents again and enjoy some time together, puts sport in its place. I've lost both my parents and think about them every day. Cheers, thanks guys.

Agreed. He showed some encouraging signs although he does look to have an awkward kicking action. It was a massive ask for him to come in and play that role in his first game though. Even more so considering the opposition.
Rohan is the ideal matchup. Leads up at the ball carrier which leaves Grimes with a decision to make; go with him or peel off and go third-man up against Hawkins. It’s imperative we play through Rohan early in the game to force his hand.

Great post. Thought Jarvis played well despite the pressures. Good to see a glimmer of hope in a #10 jumper again!

Didn't really think I'd be missing Rohan this year, based on last, but damned if he hasn't been pivotal to the team. I'm a Cobden Wreckingball Convert.

What was to be gained from giving a kid his first game to night,what the **** were they thinking, blind Freddy could see the tiger were going to shift the heavy artillery onto Hawkins Island christ they telegraft it picking both Soldo and Nakers and we still didn't counter it with the late change.It's just so deflating when we just don't give ourselves a fighting chance at selection.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Geelong lose to Richmond by 26 points.. but it really wasnt that close

Remove this Banner Ad

Back