Autopsy Geelong lose to Richmond by 26 points.. but it really wasnt that close

Remove this Banner Ad

I think that patch in the last was how Chris will want to play them next time and I think the team can deliver it.

Bring in a dedicated ruck, bring in Rohan and bring in the form of that "patch" and we're laughing

I think Scott learned his lesson about showing form too early - I'm not losing my head over that game.

Thought Finals Danger came to the fore though - tried to do too much himself
[/QUOTE]

Totally agree - tried to be the hero tonght and totally forgot about his teammates. Needs a big kick up the arse for mine. We have played so well as a team this year, but not tonight - too many heroes and way too many mistakes under pressure. Very disappointing but not unexpected tbh. Getting very used to the great home and away form only to drop away when the heat is applied. I hope they can turn it around, but I'm not holding my breath. So flat right now.

The only thing the Cats can hang their hat on after tonights debacle - is what the late and great Robert Holmes a Court once said - " The market allways overacts ( to good or bad news ) and thats it

This upcoming week Geelong will be savaged by everyone - they will be called as week as pisss - which they were - their suspect under pressure - which they are . The boots will be put right into them - all they can do is ignore it - and focus on beating the Swans - to guarntee a top 4 spot

Blicavs tried all night and was really good, I thought. Hawkins is too big and slow for those Richmond defenders. Also, why he's not picked up more by the umps for pushing opponents off him with two hands, often in their backs, is beyond me. Times have certainly changed.

Atkins, Miers, Close, Dahlhaus and Jarvis.

Yes they also played up the ground but when they were forward we got nothing.

Jarvis at 189cm isn't a small forward

Savs a better foward. Save for kicking. Did you not see how pathetic jenkins was in the foward line against bombers? He even did an airy in the goal square for what should of been an absolute sitter.
Has kicked 65 goals in a season and Sav is better? Talk about rose colored glasses.

We can't play a brand of football needed to beat Richmond, pretty simple as that. We can't play fast enough and don't have the skills or decision making required to dismantle the way they defend.

They did their homework, they just cut our gameplan to shreds. Had the game completely on their terms.

They didn't let us get a free player in our back 50, so we couldn't switch.
The pace of our build up let them set up their zone and our guys weren't willing to try and kick through their zone in the middle. This forced us to be predictable wide and down the line. We played without the targeted aggression of the last two months that forces the other team into their shell. We just couldn't get the couple of safe possessions to create the space we like. In contrast their build up were quick long and into space.

The had two players on Hawkins and had their ruckmen pushing back to stand in front of him. He had no chance to get in the game. The rest of our forwardline combined wasn't a threat which allowed them to devote so much energy on Hawkins, they'll play Sav after that, I wish I could watch when he goes for goal. We turn the ball over so quickly our mids did even have time to get up the ground to be the scoring threat we need them to be.

Our ball use from clearances was sh*t, our skills let us down and we were losing contests where we had an outnumber. When this happened tactics were irrelevant anyway.

We need to figure out how to delay their counter attacks, create stoppages rather then give them intercept possessions. they go from intercept mark on the HFF to I50 way too quickly. We can't close them down we just have to avoid it happening.

We rotated so many 2nd tier players through the middle, got a bit silly in the last w,e tried a few hail marry's in Henderson forward and Dalhlaus in as an inside mid, Dalhlaus kind of worked.

O'Connor kept getting caught one out against Riewoldt, given how many KPD sized players we have this was quite annoying.

If we play them again I hope our players wake up on the right side of the bed.
One point, we had a free player in our 50 all night. Richmond deliberately let us get the ball stuck in the defensive pockets all night long. It was the next kick up the ground where they gave us no free options.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get the impression that Jarvis was seen as a similar player to Rohan, in terms of being that medium forward - they are the same height, and Jarvis is said to play taller than his 189cm

With Rohan missing, if we bought in Jenkins then we're changing the structure to play 2 dedicated tall forwards, or if it was Narkle or Zuthrie who played then it would have been Hawkins & the mosquito fleet

Jarvis seemed to keep us most similar the structure we've been playing over the past couple of months
If you lose a player sometimes you need to change. There aren’t many players like Rohan in the league. Certainly not someone who hasn’t played better before or kick edition many goals at lower level. It’s not Jarvis’ fault but he didn’t provide anything.
The closer option we have is Danger, so play Rohan there and bring in another midfielder. It was a terrible selection and you can’t have that many players who contribute so little on the stats.
Atkins, Close they can play good roles but you need others to provide goals and get their hands on the ball.

Hawkins needs help vs Richmond and I think Josh Jenkins has to play if we meet them again.

Why pick 5 key defenders (Blicavs, Henry, Kolo, Taylor and Henderson) and then play a flanker (O'Connor) on their only key forward (Jack).

Against the tigers we need a more agile back line and another key forward. My team to beat them next time would be.

O'Connor Taylor Henderson
Bews Blicavs Stewart
Menegola Guthrie Duncan
Dalhaus Jenkins Dangefield
Ablett Hawkins Rohan
Stanley Selwood Parfitt
Miers Clark
Touhy Steven

Only problem with all of this is that it's not "1 game" at all, is it? It's the same thing we've seen over and over again in the last 9 years.

Did we have Dangerfield, MOC, Henderson, Stewart, Blicavs, Tuohy, Menegola, Sav, Miers, Dahlhaus, Close etc etc etc etc etc 9 years ago?
If you have that mindset did you also assume we'd lose 2007 because we lost 89, 92, 94 and 95?
Different era, different team, different opponents. Different season.
LEARN from history, absolutely, but it does not dictate the future in any way.

Savs a better foward. Save for kicking. Did you not see how pathetic jenkins was in the foward line against bombers? He even did an airy in the goal square for what should of been an absolute sitter.
Dunno what game you watched last week but Jenkins was hardly even in our forward line and played majority of the game as number 1 ruck. Took some good marks helping out the defense and handy with ball on deck around the ground

I remember being here after we lost to Sydney in round 23, 2011. Hawkins had a bit of a shocker and was goalless. People wanted him dropped, traded, delisted.

Literally five weeks later he almost single handedly won us a flag.

This is a very different team. And it was far from Hawkins’ fault we lost tonight.

i admire your confidence. I hope you’re right.

They were smashed by us last year by 70 plus points when they had a few players out and went on to win the flag. We were not as bad as that. We have quite a few key players to come back in. Probably a good lesson to have now, to get our heads back out of the clouds, instead of in the finals, we will be better for it.

Last edited:
They did their homework, they just cut our gameplan to shreds. Had the game completely on their terms.

They didn't let us get a free player in our back 50, so we couldn't switch.
The pace of our build up let them set up their zone and our guys weren't willing to try and kick through their zone in the middle. This forced us to be predictable wide and down the line. We played without the targeted aggression of the last two months that forces the other team into their shell. We just couldn't get the couple of safe possessions to create the space we like. In contrast their build up were quick long and into space.

The had two players on Hawkins and had their ruckmen pushing back to stand in front of him. He had no chance to get in the game. The rest of our forwardline combined wasn't a threat which allowed them to devote so much energy on Hawkins, they'll play Sav after that, I wish I could watch when he goes for goal. We turn the ball over so quickly our mids did even have time to get up the ground to be the scoring threat we need them to be.

Our ball use from clearances was sh*t, our skills let us down and we were losing contests where we had an outnumber. When this happened tactics were irrelevant anyway.

We need to figure out how to delay their counter attacks, create stoppages rather then give them intercept possessions. they go from intercept mark on the HFF to I50 way too quickly. We can't close them down we just have to avoid it happening.

We rotated so many 2nd tier players through the middle, got a bit silly in the last w,e tried a few hail marry's in Henderson forward and Dalhlaus in as an inside mid, Dalhlaus kind of worked.

O'Connor kept getting caught one out against Riewoldt, given how many KPD sized players we have this was quite annoying.

If we play them again I hope our players wake up on the right side of the bed.

Great calls on the lack of pressure for the counter attacks, and especially on MOC getting caught one out on a tall. Where was Harry Taylor tonight?

Autopsy Geelong lose to Richmond by 26 points.. but it really wasnt that close

Remove this Banner Ad

Back