Autopsy Geelong lose to Richmond by 26 points.. but it really wasnt that close

Remove this Banner Ad

Beaten comprehensively. Richmond looks well placed to win another one, but I wouldn't write off Geelong in 2020 yet.

Selwood, Ablett, Stanley, Rohan and Steven should play in the rematch, so almost a quarter of the team will change. Those 'ins' alone won't necessarily lead to a different result, but they will make for a markedly more competitive team.

I found it surprising that Selwood and Rohan didn't play. By all reports, Rohan's injury was very minor, and Selwood has been in the mix for a fortnight. And the selection of a debut player to replace the structurally critical Rohan was intriguing. Guess you can't say they aren't taking player 'management' and 'development' seriously.

Anyway, knock over Sydney and then off to Adelaide.

Full credit to Richmond - totally outplayed us and outcoached us no doubt. Having said that I haven't seen us play that badly for quite some time. So many mistakes and so may bad decisions. I hope we can come back from this as our form suggests we are better than that.

They were our bunnies for so long, but now we are theirs. They know how to beat us, we hold no fears for them. I'm not sure we can beat them with this side, but if we play better team footy i think we are a chance. We have played such great team footy lately and I think tonight they clearly outplayed us and to me it seemed that we played as individuals at times and our players ignored better options trying to show everyone how good we are. Well we aren't that good imo if we play that way. Need to play a much more team orientated game and that goes for every player. Dangerfield and others need to stop trying to be the match winners and just play their part. We haven't played this badly all year and if we can get back to team play then I still think we might be a chance. We don't have the best list, but if we play as a team as we have been before tonight i thnk we can still give it a shake.

Richmond are the benchmark - i don't think they have the best list either but their game plan works most of the time. We need to play selfless footy and tonight we just didn't a lot of the time IMO. Disapppointing night but we're still in it so let's hope they get back to playing as a team and we might be a chance. A lot of things have to go right for us, but you never know. Admittedly I had given up earlier, but i think if we can get back to that team style then the season is not over. I'm super pissed off like most of you, but who knows. Next up is Syndey - lets make sure we win that and who knows from there.

Might not to be honest, but if I don't ill be sure to come back when we lose another PF with a snarky "told you so" comment.

If they can't be bothered to turn up, why should I bother to watch?
This happens after a bad loss on here , posters will make bold end of the world statements and throw all the toys out of the cot

a lot can happen between now and the finals , I’m not going to have a meltdown over one loss

And if they do have a bad final series it’s not the end of the world it’s only a ****ing game in the end

more important things to be worked up over than a game of football

Last edited:

Same story, different day.
It’s truly frightening how often and consistently this team wilts under pressure.

When the heat is on, we as a collective turn to water. The amount of miss-kicks, turn overs, fumbles and poor decisions was horrifying, yet again. Even the times we do get the ball in our hands, they panic from the perceived pressure, and end up kicking it indiscriminately to nobody.

I’m the first to applaud blokes like Guthrie and Menegola on their good seasons, but seriously, who doesn’t expect them to revert back to regular programming in finals!? Tonight there was numerous examples of that from them both. I really hope they prove me wrong eventually.

The skipper, the GOAT, Rohan, Stanley and Steven should all play next week. Close, Jarvis, Fogarty, and if it wasn’t for that last quarter, I’d have said Sav all our. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Dude the ONLY reason I'm here is because of the absolute flogging Cats trolls gave our boards ALL WEEK. So yep I came looking for some humble pie eating from said trolls. Trust me I don't usually waste my time on oppo boards unless it's to ask a genuine question or get some inside info.

So far I've read fifteen pages of your review thread and clicked (haha) ONE time and made zero comments. The only other like I made was one of your posters who gave some credit where it was due. Maybe take a look in your own backyard pal.

There’s very little disrespect to the tigers here. I suspect it’d be quite different on the tigers board if the results had been reversed (e.g. as was the case for last year’s 11 goal thrashing). I actually don’t mind the tigers as a team, but the fans are another thing.

Dude the ONLY reason I'm here is because of the absolute flogging Cats trolls gave our boards ALL WEEK. So yep I came looking for some humble pie eating from said trolls. Trust me I don't usually waste my time on oppo boards unless it's to ask a genuine question or get some inside info.

So far I've read fifteen pages of your review thread and clicked (haha) ONE time and made zero comments. The only other like I made was one of your posters who gave some credit where it was due. Maybe take a look in your own backyard pal.
Cool story troll

on your way, imagine a tiger flog taking about humble pie

Looked unbalanced tonight, with no Rohan the Tigers could double team Hawkins all night.

Richmond will win the flag, the tease was fun, but the truth came out tonight.

Dangerfield and others need to stop trying to be the match winners and just play their part.

Bit too much of Ablett Snr about him isn't there. Difference being, Ablett invariably pulled it off and could play selfless footy in bursts of 5 minute patches during games.
Dangerfield could be the best player of his generation if he had a bit more of Dustin Martin to his game. Martin was poor last night but instead of trying to get himself a goal, he was looking to bring others into the game.
This is what made Ablett Jnr one of the best. He could do anything (like Danger can) but he would opt for teammates first.

In the finals, this is why teams like West Coast and Richmond will go deep and why teams like Brisbane and Geelong will fail.

Obviously was a disappointing game, played terribly as a collective. A few players can hold their heads relatively high but not too many.

Still puzzled by the Jarvis debut, think Jenkins would’ve been more appropriate. Hawk being double/triple teamed for majority of the night was hard to watch.

As poorly as we played I know we can still trouble the tigers on our day, with a few handy players to come back.

Need a fair bit of luck but who knows, maybe this was the loss we needed to have.

Geelong had Atkins, Fogarty even Dahlhaus was playing in the centre sqaure in the last quarter.

I still have no idea what people are seeing with this one.
22 games in and has no outstanding qualities for a small forward/outside midfielder. At least with Miers and Narkle, they can hit the scoreboard or hurt you with pace in the open.

Beaten comprehensively. Richmond looks well placed to win another one, but I wouldn't write off Geelong in 2020 yet.

Selwood, Ablett, Stanley, Rohan and Steven should play in the rematch, so almost a quarter of the team will change. Those 'ins' alone won't necessarily lead to a different result, but they will make for a markedly more competitive team.

I found it surprising that Selwood and Rohan didn't play. By all reports, Rohan's injury was very minor, and Selwood has been in the mix for a fortnight. And the selection of a debut player to replace the structurally critical Rohan was intriguing. Guess you can't say they aren't taking player 'management' and 'development' seriously.

Anyway, knock over Sydney and then off to Adelaide.

Over management for mine.
We treated this game like it didn’t matter and it showed.
It does sound like these players are fine but being ultra cautious is unnecessary 3 weeks out for finals.
The games are short and we need to gel as a team. Selwood and Ablett won’t be at their best, obviously good enough to play but down on match fitness. Stanley and Rohan just have to play.
We will get a rest before finals and if we win week 1 another long rest.
There is no need to be ultra conservative.

Found out under finals pressure as I suspected a while ago would happen. The slow game style gets picked apart and our skill level wilts when under the pump.

If we don’t play a far more attacking brand of footy then we are doomed. A lack of frontal pressure was damning. God knows what Close and Atkins and Miers were doing tonight? Because they all contributed sfa. The Tigers ran the ball out at will.

Thats as good as the Tigers will be..

We have Ablett, Rohan, Stanley, maybe Stevens to come back in.

I think after our 4 in 14 frenzy. I think we have used this period to freshen up and train.

We werent awful. We were just out coached.

Once Sav ( although he did ok ) was picked it filled me with as much confidence as an.

In Parsons.

We lost this before the ball was bounced.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Too long to explain. Might do it tomorrow.

Has stagnated. His first few games he looked like a young Selwood. Now totally ineffectual.

Another of those too good for VFL but not for AFL types.

The moment I hung my head was in the first quarter. One-on-one ground-ball contest between Menegola and Martin. Martin went 100% at the ball. Menegola played it like someone scared of getting hurt and dusty took the ball and ran away. You've got to want it more than anything, and if you don't, you'll lose to teams that do.
Totally agree. Massive moment for the whole team IMO.
Sam is similarly built and should be putting it all on the line in that contest.
Imagine the alternate universe where he lays Martin out and comes away with the ball. That kind of bravery, determination and fire is exactly what we didn’t have. What we desperately needed to build belief. A moment of leadership.

Of course they never did believe, and this moment was the symptom and the disease.

I get the impression that Jarvis was seen as a similar player to Rohan, in terms of being that medium forward - they are the same height, and Jarvis is said to play taller than his 189cm

With Rohan missing, if we bought in Jenkins then we're changing the structure to play 2 dedicated tall forwards, or if it was Narkle or Zuthrie who played then it would have been Hawkins & the mosquito fleet

Jarvis seemed to keep us most similar the structure we've been playing over the past couple of months
yes we cant possibly play 2 dedicated fowards. Its like only the structure the every premiership team has played for the past 100 years. Who would want to do that.

richmond were missing their best defender. Do you really think rohan, a player with a long history of going missing in finals, is going to stop both grimes and astbury to free up hawkins? We have literally just watched what needs to happen. You need a second key foward who takes attention off hawkins by being a marking threat of his own.

This happens after a bad loss on here , posters will make bold end of the world statements and throw all the toys out of the cot

a lot can happen between now and the finals , I’m not going to have a meltdown over one loss

And if they do have a bad final series it’s not the end of the world it’s only a ******* game in the end

more important things to be worked up over than a game of football
If we have another bad finals series it will be 7 bad finals series in a row with 5 of them being from top 4 starting position. we are in full comedy mode now if it happens again.

Thats as good as the Tigers will be..

We have Ablett, Rohan, Stanley, maybe Stevens to come back in.

I think after our 4 in 14 frenzy. I think we have used this period to freshen up and train.

We werent awful. We were just out coached.

Once Sav ( although he did ok ) was picked it filled me with as much confidence as an.

In Parsons.

We lost this before the ball was bounced.
Sav was our best player Even though he was played out of position for nearly 3 qtrs. Without Sav we probably only kick 2 goals for the entire match.

I also don’t buy this “didn’t need to win/held something back” argument.

If you pick a weakened side in a match against your most dangerous rival, on the eve of finals, then you are just training the team to get beaten.
Reckon we lost a lot of belief tonight. There won’t be much to draw on when we really need it (if we get that far)

If he was honest he would say something like:
"I've learnt nothing in the past 9 finals series so ill probably stick with what doesn't work and hope for the best. I'll throw a curve ball in by doing some ridiculous selection come finals. One things for sure we won't be bringing any pressure once finals kicks off. Straight to water haha"

Love how it is Scott’s fault. Players turning to water under pressure is hardly a coaching fault, he can’t lay a tackle or kick the ball for them. He has actually coached brilliantly all year. His biggest issue last night was bringing in Jarvis but when we are basically guaranteed top 4, you would be an idiot to risk Rohan particularly given last night showed his importance to the structure.

After that performance, we can at least replace Fogarty and Close with Sel and Gaz without hand-wringing about what we lose in pace and pressure.
More than anything, we need attacking weapons.

Love how it is Scott’s fault. Players turning to water under pressure is hardly a coaching fault, he can’t lay a tackle or kick the ball for them. He has actually coached brilliantly all year. His biggest issue last night was bringing in Jarvis but when we are basically guaranteed top 4, you would be an idiot to risk Rohan particularly given last night showed his importance to the structure.
Its the game plan that turned to water. 10 Chip kicks in the back half are always going to become unstuck when serious foward defensive pressure is applied. We dont have an alternative game plan to deal with it. Its obvious. If tigers are aplying foward pressure then they are vulnerable to a long ball down the guts.

hawkins island will not work against a good big defensive unit. Having nothing but defensive pressure small forwards will also not work. We need another tall and we need good crumbers. Sav and ablett is all we have got to fill this need now.

I’m not necessarily confident, I thought we were a chance for the flag at 7pm today and I still think we’re a chance for the flag now.

I just think it’s crazy for anyone to write off our chances after one game. There are many factors to explain tonight’s loss and they aren’t ‘we have failed in finals before so we will do so again.’
I thought Scotty nailed it in his presser, even his mid week piece. Something that he's been criticised previously about. He hasn't held back to a certain degree.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Geelong lose to Richmond by 26 points.. but it really wasnt that close

Remove this Banner Ad

Back