Autopsy Geelong loses to Lions by 44 points. - Rd 15

Remove this Banner Ad

Unfortunate showing. Haven't had many of those the past 3 years. World isn't ending and we'll be fine. We've set ourselves up really well in the first half of the year.

Hopefully we can get our ducks in a row and make amends next week.

3 players who probably had the worst of it:

Henderson - Had the worst kicking performance I've seen from him. One-off I would think, as he's usually a very good disposer of the ball out of the back half.

Ratugolea - Just didn't get involved. Had a few opportunities I thought he might be able to take in the forward half but couldn't make an impact. I think he will struggle to keep his spot and Fort/Stanley are on standby for next week I would think

Higgins - Fumbled the ball too much, and his disposal is still lacking any penetration/effectiveness. Don't see how he keeps his spot in the side.

Bit of a side note with Higgins - I'm still very sceptical of the habits he's brought from North. He isn't very willing to shepherd, and put on pressure when the ball is in his area. This is something as a team we really excel at and have for a long time. It's one of the reasons I believe Clark is in the reserves at the moment. We have standards and no matter the age, experience or standing of the player they should be adhered to

You are delusional lol - that is not a performance you ignore my friend. We were lucky they couldn't kick straight or it would have been a 60+ point smashing

Not to mention they very nearly beat us on our home ground at the start of the season.

Just like last week against the Bulldogs, Geelong supporters quickly brush away these teams if we get by them. They have just as much upside as what we do. They are all younger and have a better bottom core than what we have.

Higgins was terrible early but Dahlhaus has him covered as a four quarter shocker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dahl will be omitted IMO and Miers will come in I’d say going by comments during the week. Higgins is a big problem without Mitch. I’d say get Constable in to replace him. He at least can hit targets and does try to influence play, My two cents worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I haven't had a chance, but I remember listening to krock earlier in the season - it was pre-match but following our VFL teams match against the academy kids where Ratugolea didn't play due to groin soreness

Benny was backing him in even then as being someone to get in sooner than later, meanwhile Kingy was saying to give him a good block of VFL games and don't even look at him until he back half of the season and that he's showed a continuous run of good form

I get that with Ratugolea a lot of the excitement is around the possibilities of what he might be, but how about looking at what he is at the moment. He's not exactly young - turns 23 next month & has 47 games under his belt; not suggesting that he's a finished product, but surely he needs a run in the VFL to see if there is the potential for further development because he's just so out of his depth in the seniors
Thats 100 spot on... I couldn't say it any better.....there a reason why I like your post on here... as I agree with what you say 99% of the time

Lots on this board talking up Geelong's chances pre-game, writing off the Lions - who really should've beaten us earlier this season at KP - as pretenders.

Like we'd simply waltz into the Gabba and walk away with four bruise-free points.

Lots of puff pieces on Tom Stewart; Cats evidently feeling pretty good about themselves despite the fact that we've proven absolutely nothing in 2021 or for a decade now...

A loss we had to have? Reality check?

Down by 5 goals at quarter time, we were getting smashed in the middle, sloppy in defense.
We looked a mid short all night; Mitch Duncan is obviously a massive loss for us, but even though he was only average last week, a Quinton Narkle - or even a Charlie Constable - might have been handy around the stoppages.

Esava smashed in the ruck duels in the first half, Blicavs only slightly better.

The 2nd quarter was a shitshow from both teams, both lacked discipline and the umpires really had their hands full - I'll no doubt be howled down for suggesting they did fairly well under the circumstances, apart for falling for a truly putrid Joe Daniher flop - it won't get highlighted but it was weak and I was glad Tom Hawkins - who hasn't had a cheap free kick like that in 5 years - let him know about it.

Jake Kolodjashnij very poor early on and is generally adding sfa unless he has very specific match-ups.
Not much waiting to replace him so he'll probably hang around a while longer yet.

Higgins fumbling his way out of our 22.

Hawkins had a stinker, so did the Skipper.

Lachie Henderson doesn't like playing on blokes taller than 195cm at all.

Luke Dahlhaus reverted to type tonight, falling over, no penetration on his handballs let alone his kicking. Is there a Francis Evans campaign? If so I want in.

Mark O'Connor, Jack Henry, perhaps Zac Tuohy and Isaac Smith were all decent enough in a losing cause. Maybe the best thing I saw all night was Cam Guthrie stretching out for an overhead mark in the futile last quarter; he was workmanlike tonight but it was good to see he still has that extension.

Seeds I've been nearly as impressed by Tom Stewart's first 100 games as yourself - however those who pointed out Corey Enright could balance genuine defense - like, on an actual opponent - with Rebound would be feeling vindicated tonight.
Stewart had a dangerous opponent and was completely subdued. His worst game in two years.
Corey Enright at his peak would have beaten Charlie Cameron in his sleep.

We need to talk about Patrick Dangerfield.

I never doubt his effort. But I have absolutely no faith in his ability to consistently execute at an AFL-average level, and his footy IQ is low for a player of his immense experience.
We have other players like that; all teams do - the problem with Patrick though is that he is fast enough and strong enough to get a lot of the ball - but its that next part that routinely hurts the team more often than not.
He regularly misses targets by foot and by hand. His set shot routine seems to change from week-to-week.
He tried hard tonight.
He also did some really good things - and his marking for a midfielder is still superb, no question there .. but that next bit ...

He reminds me of late-career Steve Johnson; ability is through the roof and yet the ambition still somehow manages to outpace it.

Also, Danger, stop waving your arms around like you're conducting an orchestra and concentrate on your friggin' ball drop - three times in three weeks he has attempted to play traffic cop and subsequently stuffed up the kick.

Tough night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are delusional lol - that is not a performance you ignore my friend. We were lucky they couldn't kick straight or it would have been a 60+ point smashing

In 2019, Richmond lost to GWS and the Dogs by 40+ and us by 60+.

In 2018, WCE lost to North Melb by 40.

Two weeks ago, Brisbane led Melbourne by 20 at HT and lost by 22 - a 7-goal turnaround in the second half.

Etc etc etc.

It's easy to say that we need to drop Sav and Higgins, we do clearly as they are liabilities, but i dont think the issues stop there.

Consistently this year (and previous years lets be honest) we have looked vulnerable and frankly weak when the opposition gets in our face and puts the pressure on us. The opposition may only be able to bring that level of pressure for a quarter or a half, but if they are good enough like Brisbane tonight, then that could be the game done. There are serious question marks over a number of players and their ability to handle pressure and finals like football: O'Connor, Blicavs, Kolo, Higgins, Sav, Dahl, Close for me all have to do better. All of those players either dont work hard enough to get to the contest or arent clean enough with the ball for their work rate to matter. Because simply getting to the contest isnt enough when you take possession but then turn it over with your disposal because you're under pressure, or look to handpass the ball backwards, which puts us under even more pressure.

Narkle, Miers, Clarke, Stanley and Fort (dare i say even Jenkins for ruck) all chasing spots, but i dont think all of them can come in. At least not at the same time. But there is a balance to be struck for bringing in the younger players who add speed with the more mature players who we rely on to straighten up our rebound and transition ball movement. It's why we may have to persist with some that we otherwise might want to see out after a game like tonight.

Playing Stewart as a lock down defender was a ****ing disgrace and should never be repeated. If that is the only lesson from tonights game then it will be a win.

Whats the chances of Chris Scott stopping this.... Sweet F#ck all

Yep, I posted in the game thread that Scott has said on a number of occasions that a fit Sav is in our best 22, he's just not sure where. I'm sure it's not in the ruck and if that's the case there is nowhere for him with Hawk and Cameron up forward.

Ratugolea out, Stanley in.

Higgins out, Miers in.

That's it for now

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Geelong loses to Lions by 44 points. - Rd 15

Remove this Banner Ad

Back