Autopsy Geelong loses to PA in QF2 by about 6 goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah on that rebuilding point we really do need our great white hope player of the youthful variety. I understand why we haven't found one, we haven't had the picks. But we need that 'franchise' player where you build the club around him (Apologise to those who don't like the American terms)

When it comes to AFL my (loose) belief is you need a core of at least 5 gun players to build around, with a couple of those being talls.
That's my uninformed list-build philosophy, anyway.

I look to St Kilda, who as always are currently in no man's land, and I see a bit of hope for them as they have two really strong key talls in Max King and Rowan Marshall, and their skipper Steele who looks (to me) capable of sustaining another 3-5 years of sustained excellence as a midfielder and emerging leader.

That is an absolute baseline; hopefully you'd have more to work with - St Kilda might have a couple more emerge, we sure as hell do not have anything like that on the horizon (and you have fairly pointed out that we just haven't had the picks to take to the draft).

the fact he hasn’t nominated yet makes me think is he coming to a finalist and waiting for them to drop out?? Why otherwise hasn’t he nominated

The club he’s going to doesn’t have a coach at the moment…

Idk, I actually think he is to blame for that. We know it's NOT a particular game plan that causes us to consistently fail, since it's not like Scott has implemented the same game plan over and over in finals. During his tenure we've gone in to finals with many different styles of play. This 2020-21 high possession chipping game plan isn't the same style we brought to the 2013 finals or the 2016 finals for example.

The one consistent theme, however, is this collapse in our intensity and skill level in finals. Our list has been turned over almost completely in the last 10 years but no matter which players are out there, the mental fragility still seems to always be there as a defining characteristic of Geelong in finals under Scott. Culture is a soft factor in football which makes it hard to analyse or quantify; it's not something tactical where you can see visually on screen what the coach been training them to do. It's more intangible than that. But that doesn't mean it's not a real thing that influences outcomes. There must be a reason we always go to water in finals. There's something about Scott's coaching that breeds mentally weak players.

This.

That was so bad next week can only be an improvement. Big problem this year is we loaded up on older, experienced players and then had our chance to refresh in the pre-finals bye taken away by COVID. At least we have the extra days’ break and half the travel time to Perth compared GWS or the Swans. The other thing to be happy about is that it isn’t a home final: they have both played Kardinia Park better than us recently.

You simply can't choke in finals and make GF's. It's literally impossible to do it cause it's an oxymoron. If you choke you don't progress it's a simple as that. If you honestly believe that you can then you will never understand football. No one in the history of the game has ever been stupid enough to suggest a team can choke their way to a Grand Final. In fact it's so stupid I can't believe I even have to write it.
That’s not what choke means.

the fact he hasn’t nominated yet makes me think is he coming to a finalist and waiting for them to drop out?? Why otherwise hasn’t he nominated

Freo want a top 10 pick for him at least, how do we generate that with what we have? Cam Guthrie on the trade table?

He'd be a great get but not sure how we get the trade currency.

I think once the dust settles from another finals series capitulation the club should shuffle a few familiar faces either out the door or into different roles. I can’t see the club sacking Scott, so the assistants may need a freshen up. Don’t get me wrong, this coaching group (love em or hate em) have gotten us regularly into the finals for a very long period of time. Some clubs would kill for a record like that. I feel the same messages from the same people year after year can run a little stale. A couple of changes and ideas my be the breath of fresh air the list needs. It probably should’ve happened last year. Just my 2 cents. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Guessing he smeared the butter on Henderson's hands making him drop those marks...

I get the questions over our style of play, but execution was a bigger issue tonight

If you can't kick 20m to a teammate when neither of you are under pressure, there's something wrong

Players also have to take responsibility for repeatedly kicking it in the Aliir direction in the first quarter - with limitations to how often the runner can come in, reduced interchanges etc, it's harder for coaching changes within quarters & that's when your on field leaders need to step up

Could see definite changes after quarter time, with trying to not kick it long if Aliir was anywhere near the intended destination and adjusting to how we tried to attack with the ball. But we failed to take advantage of our opportunities

Please don’t remind me. That was the night I lost all faith in Scott. To me, Chappy was our best finals performer. His bog the following week was a big up yours.
He was bog that week because he was rested the week before.
Our players were in desperate need of the familiar bye this week, and CS virtually spelt that out last 2 weeks.
We played tonight like a team that was overdone and not upto it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clubs obviously spent time working out their media response to a lose: "equation is the same, win 3 games" has been repeated by Selwood, Danger and Scott in the post-game. If only we spent a similar amount of time working on our game plan as we do our PR we might find a way to stand up in finals.

Can we get Clarko?

THAT is the move we should make!

Why would he want to though?
Our list is right at the edge of the cliff. We have Cameron, Stewart and Henry who you can build around but after that, it's barren.
I mean our list has too many players who are nearing the end.
Next week, we bring in another old player in Tuohy who will add nothing except a bit more distance in his kicks.

I reckon Clarkson should keep his eye on a club who have a good core of young talent. Gold Coast or Collingwood.

Freo want a top 10 pick for him at least, how do we generate that with what we have? Cam Guthrie on the trade table?

He'd be a great get but not sure how we get the trade currency.
Narkle Clarke and the best 2nd rounder we have is probably the best we could do.

Our players were in desperate need of the familiar bye this week, and CS virtually spelt that out last 2 weeks.
In desperate need of a bye? So we can lose after that desperate needed bye. Save it

Wishful thinking.
How could we possibly engineer the right deal for him?

Made a GF last year.
Execution under pressure is reflective of our personnel, and many here refuse to accept that we were witnessing the likely premier team at their home.
They have regained their list of players at the right time, and are ready to win a home prelim.
They won’t get a home prelim. They will play it in Perth.

Chapman had only been back for 1 full game. He was as fresh as a fiddle. The idea he needed anot her rest is wrong. Who needs a rest after playing one game?

Chapman close to our best the week after against port with 4 goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back