Autopsy Geelong loses to PA in QF2 by about 6 goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting close to Ben Simmons territory after tonight's efforts ... in all seriousness it is a loose analogy where the individuals might not really equate beyond Pop+his system and Scott+his system; both once had success, but then again both once had generational talents at their disposal.
Both have systems that yield H&A/regular season results, but have failed to seriously challenge once Finals/Playoffs begin.
San Antonio finally recognized that they were treading water during this current off-season; they'd be a while away from making any serious kind of noise again I reckon; Pop will most likely be gone. Yet Chris Scott's contract is extended for stability's sake.

Yeah on that rebuilding point we really do need our great white hope player of the youthful variety. I understand why we haven't found one, we haven't had the picks. But we need that 'franchise' player where you build the club around him (Apologise to those who don't like the American terms)

Can you believe Henderson was shit in another final? That's never happened before has it.
Why was he delisted again?
First round pick. Trading only works. The draft is dead. The landscape has changed.

Ano here’s the more staggering thing of our last 9 first finals.

in most of them we were the favourites. In fact in only one of them. The 2014 hawthorn game were we the obvious underdogs.

in every other game we were either favourites or equal chance winners.

and we lost 8 of 9.

this is going to be a stain on this club for the next century.
=Clearly not favourites tonight by any logical evidence based thinkers.

When the players kick 5.13 they have to take some responsibility for their failure to convert and take their chances in front of goal

It's not like we didn't have our chances tonight - kicking straight, especially across the 2nd & 3rd quarters when we kicked 1.6 would have gone a long way to helping change the result

emotions aside, as I am still gutted but trying to give a proper look at it.

it played out in a similar fashion to what I thought pre game, but I underestimated the extent of the discrepancy in my posting.

I said the game would be won by who got quality movement around the contests and stoppages and moved it forward with good looks, we struggled to get any ascendancy and movement forward of a contest and just bomb kicked it to a defense that had us well and truly taken care of the entire night.

our midfield looks a lot better on paper than I would actually say it is. We need to inject some quality youth or players in the right age bracket into our midfield group. It disappointed badly tonight.

when you look at our midfield, who in there is good at winning the ball back and defending?? I’d argue outside parfit none are very good at it.

the loss of Stewart was exaggerated that first quarter with alir alir up the other end doing exactly what Stewart does and setting up their first quarter lead, which they never looked back from.

add in dangerfields obvious broken hand as reports are suggesting, and it’s just a recipe for what we saw.

compose ourselves, review after our finals are over, and look forward.

we still are alive, despite how poor it looks at the present.

I've said this before but got mocked a bit but what we need is a mindfulness coach. Look at other teams doing group breathing exercises. Read about what some of the Richmond players say about meditation.

They have too many ideas in their head to process them. They need to develop the skill of clearing their heads.

This idea shouldn’t be mocked because it’s spot on.

People say we ‘didn’t turn up’ tonight which isn’t true and has only been true of a couple of finals under Scott (Freo 2013 and Swans 2016 prelim spring to mind).

Our general intensity and effort was on par with PA’s in Q1 and early Q2 until they broke the game open.

It’s so clear to me that the problem is largely mental shown in the shocking fumbles, dropped marks etc.

It’s almost wanting to win too much at the expense of what it actually takes to win. How often tonight did we see two defenders fly to spoil the same ball leaving one of their opponents open on the ground?

It’s dumb play, panicked play, but it sure isn’t a team not trying or not caring.

Dahlhaus had 3 kicks .. 2 dribblers.
3.9 from set shots this year.
Hasn’t kicked multiple goals this year.
Can’t kick 35 meters

I honestly think he does the very best he can.

In a way I admire the career he's eking out.

But we have to move beyond this weirdly specific and surely-not-that-freakin'-vital ''role'' that he and he alone apparently can play.

Wasn't our worst tonight. But as I said earlier, look at the half-forwards we had in our pomp. Now look what we have. We ain't contending.

Everyone who want a new coach needs to think of the alternative
clarko - so we can recruit patton, and co, and finish bottom 4
ross - so we can play even more borring football
buckley - pies supporters spent 3 years wanting him sacked
seriously
lets not be north melbourne and move a coach on and then have chaos

Glad to finally see others and the club start to address the self evident issue that has plagued us for years: Our forward line structure and systems are dog shit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know you’re an expert on everything and love to talk down your nose at people so I’ll just bow to your better judgment.

Scott has a 37.5% winning record in the finals.
Scott has a 71.6% winning record in the regular season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably need to address my point about choking and last year if you are going to somehow prove me wrong. It seems weird to bring up something I never referred to. Happy for you to prove my actual point wrong if you can and I'll admit I was wrong. However to do that you really need to address what I said. I am happy to wait for your reply as I could be wrong but you certainly haven't shown me that yet.

Ano here’s the more staggering thing of our last 9 first finals.

in most of them we were the favourites. In fact in only one of them. The 2014 hawthorn game were we the obvious underdogs.

in every other game we were either favourites or equal chance winners.

and we lost 8 of 9.

this is going to be a stain on this club for the next century.
We weren’t the favourites tonight, so you probably have a few others wrong too.

Not really. Motlop was way better a player for us.
It's just the fans used to watch Selwood and Danger run one way and couldn't care less but if Motlop did the slightest thing wrong his own teams fans would abuse him with venom.
But hey! At least we got Gary Rohan and his vintage finals performances.
Thé irony is Motlop was pretty good in his last finals with us. Then we dumped him anyway. Been missing a small foward with X factor who could find the goals ever since.

emotions aside, as I am still gutted but trying to give a proper look at it.

it played out in a similar fashion to what I thought pre game, but I underestimated the extent of the discrepancy in my posting.

I said the game would be won by who got quality movement around the contests and stoppages and moved it forward with good looks, we struggled to get any ascendancy and movement forward of a contest and just bomb kicked it to a defense that had us well and truly taken care of the entire night.

our midfield looks a lot better on paper than I would actually say it is. We need to inject some quality youth or players in the right age bracket into our midfield group. It disappointed badly tonight.

when you look at our midfield, who in there is good at winning the ball back and defending?? I’d argue outside parfit none are very good at it.

the loss of Stewart was exaggerated that first quarter with alir alir up the other end doing exactly what Stewart does and setting up their first quarter lead, which they never looked back from.

add in dangerfields obvious broken hand as reports are suggesting, and it’s just a recipe for what we saw.

compose ourselves, review after our finals are over, and look forward.

we still are alive, despite how poor it looks at the present.
That is why I would give anything for Adam Cerra .
Whatever it takes.
Exactly the sort of ready made 2 - way running mid we need.

Remember that time Scott left Chappy (one of the clubs best finals performers) on the bench as the medical sub against a team who were renown for their contested footy, and then the next week Scott played him from the opening bounce against Port Adelaide in the semi final and Chappy booted 4 goals to go along with his 20 touches and 6 tackles. Including a clutch goal in the 4th quarter when Port got to within 10 points of us.
Please don’t remind me. That was the night I lost all faith in Scott. To me, Chappy was our best finals performer. His bog the following week was a big up yours.

Thé irony is Motlop was pretty good in his last finals with us. Then we dumped him anyway. Been missing a small foward with X factor who could find the goals ever since.
He was gone anyway. I went to a game that year and heard our fans abuse him more than any other player I've seen.
And I used to watch Billy Brownless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back