Autopsy Geelong loses to PA in QF2 by about 6 goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it is true that the late front-on collision between Hendo and Cameron still affected them yesterday, it is further evidence that the bye may have been a blessing for us this year. Not to be.
Nevertheless, it is about time Port got the recognition they deserve.
They have been building slowly and surely, and for their sake, I really hope Fantasia is ready to play the Prelim.
They have an abundance of what we lack- classy small forwards.
Gray, Fantasia, Rosee, Motlop, Butters- exceptional

Last edited:
Scott is a stubborn, arrogant person who refuses to admit his errors. Andrew Bews said that he was arrogant when he used to play with him all those years ago.

If given the chance, he will do the same thing for another 10 years and we'll get the same results. And he'll say the same things at press conferences.

I don't put all this on Scott. The players are psychologically shot, and some of them physically shot too. It's the club as a whole. Why does composure go out the window as soon as the finals roll around every year? And that includes the players we bring in. Even a reliable goalkicker like Cameron starts missing easy ones.

Part of it is game style but not all of it. The players and coaches aren't accountable for their errors. There's a culture of complacency, despite the rhetoric of 'greatness'. They aren't prepared to be truly ruthless to achieve success. It's the easy way every time (bring in more 30 year olds).

I do think the only way we can get clean air is to let Scott go at the end of next year.

Won't happen unfortunately.

I genuinely don't dislike Chris Scott.

But the results speak for themselves over a long period now; best H&A record ev-ah - but must be getting mighty close to the worst finals record of all time?

If it is true that the late front-on collision between Hendo and Cameron still affected them yesterday, it is further evidence that the bye may have been a blessing fr us this year.
Nevertheless, it is about time Port got the recognition they deserve.
They have been building slowly and surely, and for their sake, I really hope Fantasia is ready to play the Prelim.
They have an abundance of what we lack- classy small forwards.
Gray, Fantasia, Rosee, Motlop, Butters- exceptional

Not a fan of Fantasia, but you're right that Port have been building for a while now - people on this board where rubbishing their small forwards pre-game, but for mine they were always going to trouble us.
We're actually lucky that Robbie Gray was basically playing on one leg or it could have been worse.

I can't help but feel were playing with a side that is really banged up. They killed us on the spread from congestion so there was a constant out number everywhere.

Separate from anything tactical, list demographics etc. The luck just isn't on our side for the moment.

If so, bring in other players who are fit. Remember the semi-final at Waverley in 1994 when we brought in the kids and won? Surely it's worth a go.

Won't happen, though, of course.

The usual suspects were appalling - Dal, Kolo, Rohan (in finals), while others such as Atkins, Menegola, Mieirs to name a few, were well below average.

But we never drop them do we? Scott rewards mediocrity. Now all the blokes who should be considered for next week haven't played for weeks - Krueger, Clark, Fort, Esava, Narkle.

Kolo was good other than making some turnovers that hurt, but kept Gray out of the game when he threaten to blow it apart.

He was good apart from being directly responsible for 4 goals from horrendous errors, providing almost no run out of defence, fumbled pretty much every ground ball that came his way, kicking sideways etc etc. But yeh, he was great apart from all that. Is that how far our expectations have fallen that a game like his is now deemed acceptable?

Last edited:
The usual suspects were appalling - Dal, Kolo, Rohan (in finals), while others such as Atkins, Menegola, Mieirs to name a few, were well below average.

But we never drop them do we? Scott rewards mediocrity. Now all the blokes who should be considered for next week haven't played for weeks - Krueger, Clark, Fort, Esava, Narkle.
And they would be abysmal in a final like last night. We have seen enough of them to know they are all a step below those who were playing; Sav is the exception. He has some X factor.

Admittedly I have not read 25 pages of this thread.

I have not usually been a criticiser of Chris Scott - I enjoy the spectacle of footy but I don't usually pay attention to too much of the mechanics of it all so essentially watching a game plan and seeing it unfold is not something I notice a hell of a lot of outside of the 2007 squad and their quick ball movement through the middle of the ground and the similar era of Collingwood moving the ball along the outside line.

Last night something was pretty clear to me - each time we had the ball somewhere around the half back/wing - we'd take a mark and stop. Even if there was an opportunity - we'd wait. I believe I heard one of the commentators say that the idea is to bring Port's defence forward so we can try to get over it. The issue was, Port was aware of this, wasn't allowing it and consequently we couldn't get the ball forward without it being turned over - and the times we did, it looked messy and chaotic beyond our abilities.

Then after half time, when asked about the game, Chris Scott's response was "if we can get the game back on our terms we should be able to open it up."

That's all well and good, Chris, if you are playing at a level that was going to challenge Port. In the first half, however, Port were all over us. Their pressure, tackles, play on nature was absolutely wiping the floor with us. If we weren't going to match that intensity the game was never going to come back on to our terms.

This came across to me as pure arrogance from Chris Scott and while I know there's plenty of posters here who think this already - this is the first time I've been convinced that a loss was to be blamed on the coach.

I'm pretty disappointed.

5 quarters of terrible footy and it seems like Chris Scott could have orchestrated a change that would see us mix it up and take the game on better.

Kicking backwards.

Hesitating.

That moment where Kolo had the ball at the 50m line in defence, if I'm not mistaken, it was Dahlhouse and Close in the middle of the ground relatively unchecked. Kolo ignores them. Kolo then kicks to a contest that involved Aliir who had been absolutely killing us already. That's the moment I knew that Geelong had no chance last night.

Anyhow, I've got that off my chest.

We'll probably come out next week and demolish whomever we play as we did this time last year but.. it won't excite me. The passion and excitement is whimpering away to a small interest now. If we make a GF, yeah, that'd be nice, but after last years and so many capitulations over recent years - the trust and belief are gone.

Sorry if that was too whiney.

Can’t remember the last time we played that poorly for the whole 4 qtrs, and to dish it up in a final just rubs salt into the wound. Only one or two players could hold their head high after that performance. Our defence was truly a rabble from the onset. The fwds applied zero pressure and couldn’t halve any contests. The midfield was absolutely belted and bullied around the ground.
Was really pumped for this finals series, but like most fans I’m sure the wind has been taken out of the sails. I’ll tune in next week, but can’t see us rebounding from that type of performance. Like others, can’t help but feel this is the end of being competitive for a while.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you're an advocate for the Dad's Army approach?

Strategic targeting of experienced players (Danger, Tuohy, Hendo, Ablett, etc) put us in a position to make a Grand Final last year. It was the main reason we made it as without those top-ups our personnel would not have been of the requisite quality to do so. We didn't win the game but obviously we realistically could have done so. We put ourselves in with a massive chance. Of all the variables to identify as an area of deficiency - recruitment would unironically be dead last on my list. I can't think of other any area in which the club has succeeded so unambiguously since 2016. I'm trying to think of another area in which we have done as well and nothing comes to mind. If you have suggestions, feel free to name them, but it seems obvious to me that if this hasn't been our strongest area, it's at least been *close* to our strongest area.

If you want disagree with any of the above I refer you back to the point I made this post I made earlier in the thread:

My view is that it's absurd to suggest we could have won as many games as we have over the past 10 years while also failing in as many areas as many here seem to suggest. According to some, all of the following is true at the same time:

- Most of our players suck
- Our coach sucks
- Our game plan sucks
- Our recruitment strategy sucks

This strikes me as self-evidently ridiculous because if all of these things were true at once, we would be in North Melbourne or Carlton or Adelaide's position. You can't fail in so many areas and still finish up near the top of the ladder for over 10 years.

That's not to say we haven't failed in some of these areas. Obviously we have. But for a critique of the club to be credible one must first acknowledge that for all our finals failings, it is simply nonsensical to suggest that a team that made a Grand Final has failed in virtually all major areas (recruiting strategy, coach, players, game plan). It's an unserious argument to make.

For me the major failing has to with mentality in finals and I lay the blame on both the players and the coach for that.

If you are one of the people who thinks that we simultaneously suck according to all four of the variables outlined above, it is incumbent upon you to explain how such institutional incompetence in almost every major area is compatible with winning as many games as we do throughout the season.

Thats the type of rubbish that'll get us in this exact position next year.

Either target the truly elite, or go after youth. No more of the blokes who are past it
Target the elite with what? Some late second round picks?

My suggested changes:

Rohan dropped. I don’t care who we bring in. Sav? Evans? Krueger?

Higgins and Dahl out. Let’s bring in Holmes and Narkle.

2E please come back to replace O’Connor

If Guthrie can’t find form then consider pushing him back as we need better skilled players helping out down there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's directly on the tall forwards who failed to compete with him

I don't think Hawkins really can compete in the air anymore - good at using his big body to out-position and out-muscle opponents, but he can't jump and rarely gets his arms above his head.

That'd be ok if we had a player or two who can regularly bring the ball to ground in those types of contests.

We do have one of those types, but he wasn't in the side.

I can't help but feel were playing with a side that is really banged up. They killed us on the spread from congestion so there was a constant out number everywhere.

Separate from anything tactical, list demographics etc. The luck just isn't on our side for the moment.
We are an old team with old legs and it's been a long season. The petrol tank is on empty.

The loss against the GWS, the get out of jail win against the Saints, the last quarter brain fade against the demons are all indicators of this. Surely people didn't buy into the "saving ourselves for next week excuse" after the demons last quarter

I don't think Hawkins really can compete in the air anymore - good at using his big body to out-position and out-muscle opponents, but he can't jump and rarely gets his arms above his head.

That'd be ok if we had a player or two who can regularly bring the ball to ground in those types of contests.

We do have one of those types, but he wasn't in the side.
Please remind us who that is?

Admittedly I have not read 25 pages of this thread.

I have not usually been a criticiser of Chris Scott - I enjoy the spectacle of footy but I don't usually pay attention to too much of the mechanics of it all so essentially watching a game plan and seeing it unfold is not something I notice a hell of a lot of outside of the 2007 squad and their quick ball movement through the middle of the ground and the similar era of Collingwood moving the ball along the outside line.

Last night something was pretty clear to me - each time we had the ball somewhere around the half back/wing - we'd take a mark and stop. Even if there was an opportunity - we'd wait. I believe I heard one of the commentators say that the idea is to bring Port's defence forward so we can try to get over it. The issue was, Port was aware of this, wasn't allowing it and consequently we couldn't get the ball forward without it being turned over - and the times we did, it looked messy and chaotic beyond our abilities.

Then after half time, when asked about the game, Chris Scott's response was "if we can get the game back on our terms we should be able to open it up."

That's all well and good, Chris, if you are playing at a level that was going to challenge Port. In the first half, however, Port were all over us. Their pressure, tackles, play on nature was absolutely wiping the floor with us. If we weren't going to match that intensity the game was never going to come back on to our terms.

This came across to me as pure arrogance from Chris Scott and while I know there's plenty of posters here who think this already - this is the first time I've been convinced that a loss was to be blamed on the coach.

I'm pretty disappointed.

5 quarters of terrible footy and it seems like Chris Scott could have orchestrated a change that would see us mix it up and take the game on better.

Kicking backwards.

Hesitating.

That moment where Kolo had the ball at the 50m line in defence, if I'm not mistaken, it was Dahlhouse and Close in the middle of the ground relatively unchecked. Kolo ignores them. Kolo then kicks to a contest that involved Aliir who had been absolutely killing us already. That's the moment I knew that Geelong had no chance last night.

Anyhow, I've got that off my chest.

We'll probably come out next week and demolish whomever we play as we did this time last year but.. it won't excite me. The passion and excitement is whimpering away to a small interest now. If we make a GF, yeah, that'd be nice, but after last years and so many capitulations over recent years - the trust and belief are gone.

Sorry if that was too whiney.
Summed up perfectly mate. Excitement is well and truly gone.

Clark made that horrible error in the late shot at goal against GWS. But hey, he got in position to have a shot and make that mistake.

If you want to keep your spot in the Geelong side just jog around in the midfield and kick it sideways.

My suggested changes:

Rohan dropped. I don’t care who we bring in. Sav? Evans? Krueger?

Higgins and Dahl out. Let’s bring in Holmes and Narkle.

2E please come back to replace O’Connor

If Guthrie can’t find form then consider pushing him back as we need better skilled players helping out down there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd even consider Guthrie forward, he can take a mark and kick a goal when he puts his mind to it.

Strategic targeting of experienced players (Danger, Tuohy, Hendo, Ablett, etc) put us in a position to make a Grand Final last year. It was the main reason we made it as without those top-ups our personnel would not have been of the requisite quality to do so. We didn't win the game but obviously we realistically could have done so. We put ourselves in with a massive chance. Of all the variables to identify as an area of deficiency - recruitment would unironically be dead last on my list. I can't think of other any area in which the club has succeeded so unambiguously since 2016. I'm trying to think of another area in which we have done as well and nothing comes to mind. If you have suggestions, feel free to name them, but it seems obvious to me that if this hasn't been our strongest area, it's at least been *close* to our strongest area.

If you want disagree with any of the above I refer you back to the point I made this post I made earlier in the thread:

If you are one of the people who thinks that we simultaneously suck according to all four of the variables outlined above, it is incumbent upon you to explain how such institutional incompetence in almost every major area is compatible with winning as many games as we do throughout the season.

Sorry why is it incumbent on me to explain why we can't get it up in Finals over a 10 year period again?

Your argument that without the Foreign Legion/Dad's Army approach we wouldn't have the personnel to compete is fallacious; if we hadn't thrown our draft hands we would have had an entirely different (and younger) list to work with - who knows what we might have managed to assemble; perhaps something resembling the type of core that Wells and co. put together during the club's still-recent best-ever period.

You don't think recruitment is an issue that's fine; it is an approach I have long questioned and it has yielded us absolutely nothing in terms of success to date.

You might be able to comfort yourself by watching the first half of the 2020 GF blu-ray; just another lost final in my eyes though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back