Rumour GFC 2018 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists - PT4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you troll through the various posts you will see we are/should be delisting/trading over 20 players from the list...

Silly season has arrived early....
I'm more referring to the media. It's like since we recruited PFD (and Hendo) the only choice for Geelong is to target ex-Falcons.

The only St Kilda Forwards I'd take in this year's draft are:

Riewoldt
Lockett
and possibly Milne.

What's Tony up to these days anyway?
Don't want anyone who has plead guilty to sexual assault on the list. Otherwise agree. What about Cowboy Neale, Darryl Baldock, Stewy Loewe, Barry Breen, Ian Cooper. I'd even look at young Jade Gresham

Dahlhaus, Rohan, Steven and now McCartin. This "target anyone from Geelong" thing is getting a little silly. Who's next, Luke Hodge?

The only Geelong boys I'd be targeting would be C Curnow (never gonna happen), Darcy (pretty unlikely) and Witherden (not this year).
Don't like the way Doedee goes about it?

I think it's just that the article marries up Geelong enquiring about whether they can trade their first rounder and talk of a potential McCartin trade that rubs me the wrong way, though surely the two things aren't linked.
I just don’t like hearing we’ve enquired about using our first. I’ve got a bad feeling about this trade period.

Would happily take Paddy McCartin if the price was right (ie not our first rounder).

He’s shown a bit, and he’s been playing as a basketcase essentially drawing the best defender every week.

Injury concerns are a worry and I don’t know if he’ll ever be able to cover the ground the way the elite key forwards can.

High risk, high reward.

High risk, no chance of reward. He will never be anything.

I would spew if we even wasted a 3rd rounder on him.

Don't want anyone who has plead guilty to sexual assault on the list. Otherwise agree. What about Cowboy Neale, Darryl Baldock, Stewy Loewe, Barry Breen, Ian Cooper. I'd even look at young Jade Gresham

That's why Milne was a 'possible' and not a certainty. I'd take a look at Gresham, but the others (as of 2018) are a bit past it. Still reckon Lockett would clunk 'em regularly, though.

That's why Milne was a 'possible' and not a certainty. I'd take a look at Gresham, but the others (as of 2018) are a bit past it. Still reckon Lockett would clunk 'em regularly, though.
Gresham, Steven, McCartin and Lockett for Menzel, Murdoch, GHS and McCarthy. Looks good to me!

"Geelong has not yet made a play for St Kilda’s Paddy McCartin, despite widely-held belief the Saints’ spearhead is open to a move in the exchange period."

No.
Nein.
Non.
Niet.
Não.
Nee.
Voch.
Nahi.
Ne.
Nej.
Nah.
Tidak.
Aye. (which is NO in Amharic)

N
O
όχι - Greek!

Confirmation of what I have been saying for post upon post. The Herald Sun is so on top of this stuff ...:rolleyes:

and it gets worse ...

The Cats have clarified with the AFL they are allowed to trade their first-round pick and their future first-round pick for this year’s exchange period.

In fact a club can trade its R1 pick every year if it wants to ... the rule applies only to future picks.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...8/news-story/82989f88db7d2425be27dae06077fab7

Of course I have also said... it the last thing I want... so we will see what the club does

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This one may be a bit out of left field, but since we do lack small forwards - especially those with goal sense & tackling abilities, would Jeff Garlett be someone to maybe look at, especially if he is out of favour at the Demons? I know he is a little older than we may realistically should be looking at (turned 29 last month), but as a small forward he could provide a presence we are currently lacking - in 11 matches this year he has averaged 1.6 goals & 2.9 tackles per game; only Hawkins & Menzel averaged more goals for us this year with Danger & Kelly the only others to average more than 1 goal per game.

A lot of our "small forwards" are more midfield types who play through the forward line while waiting for their opportunity to move into the guts, and yes Dahlhaus looks likely to be coming to Geelong, but his tackling pressure is going to be his major asset not so much his goal kicking (only twice in 8 seasons has he averaged 1 or more goals per game across the season).

I know he is contracted for another 12 months at Melbourne, but if both Garlett & the Demons were open to a trade at the right price, he could help in an area we are clearly currently lacking.

Last edited:
Either that or kill the opposition defenders on the way through. I loved Plugger. Some mongrel up forward would probably win Hawk a Coleman too.
I would love a season with the combo of
Cockatoo Hawkins Dahlhaus
Ratagole Dangerfield McCarthy

Has never happened, but would love to see how that looked.
I reckon we'd be lethal
We'd also occasionally run Kelly, Narkle, Ablett and Menegola through there
You can't win a flag without goalkicking guns

Either that or kill the opposition defenders on the way through. I loved Plugger. Some mongrel up forward would probably win Hawk a Coleman too.
I would love a season with the combo of
Cockatoo Hawkins Dahlhaus
Ratagole Dangerfield McCarthy

Has never happened, but would love to see how that looked.
I reckon we'd be lethal
We'd also occasionally run Kelly, Narkle, Ablett and Menegola through there
You can't win a flag without goalkicking guns

Geeeez that'd be nice, wouldn't it? Don't think we'll get a chance to see it with Cockatoo basically done and McCarthy (sorry!) likely out the door.

Geeeez that'd be nice, wouldn't it? Don't think we'll get a chance to see it with Cockatoo basically done and McCarthy (sorry!) likely out the door.
Gone a bit premature on the cocky. I think if and when he is done, he should be well done and served up on a blue and white dish with garnish to savour.
Now until I'm gone, never write me off. My hammies are still buzzing blue and white

Would be surprised if we didn't have a look at McCartin.
Has upside and wouldn't be overly expensive in a trade.

Dont really like it cos he has a lot of problems, bit short for KPF, concussion problems and slow.

Cant really play Hawkins, McCartin and Sav in the same forward line (you could but not with Ablett also)

I dont think the saints would let him go for less than a mid second rounder.

Would rather get talls when drop down the ladder further.

That makes absolutely zero sense for GC still. GHS is a free agent. Why would they pay (trading hall) for that? The only reason to trade would be in case it will hurt their Lynch Points but this won’t.
If Geelong came in with GHS and 3rd round pick swaps, the response would be we’ll take GHS for free agent and we
want more / better picks or a different player. GHS isn’t a trade sweetener this year.
As I said both players might end up at respective clubs but it won’t happen with a direct trade between these two.

100% correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We haven't officially wanting McCartin,
This is what it says

Geelong has not yet made a play for St Kilda’s Paddy McCartin, despite widely-held belief the Saints’ spearhead is open to a move in the exchange period.

Doesn't mean we have asked about him... Just settle down a bit peeps

FYI if we dont get a KPF but get all the other players we are linked to i expect it to look like this (i dont want Hall this is just assuming we do):

Keep Duncan Kelly etc.
Pick 56 for Rohan and 66.
Dahlhaus UFA
Menzel out to St Kilda UFA (no compo as Dahlhaus brought in)
Smith/Abbott plus 47 and 54 to GWS for 44 49 and 67 (you could do a similar deal with WCE who need ruck cover but lets assume this)
Picks 44 and 49 to Sydney for 34 (points for Blakey for them).
KK and Hall and pick 41 in for GHS, Thurlow, 34 and our 2019 R3 and R4 (essentially Hall for R3 which is fair and KK for Thurlow GHS and a late pick and an upgrade, they will want more but with the injuries i doubt he is worth more).
41 + McCarthy for Martin.
Murdoch to Adelaide for 68 (or free to a good home somewhere).

Leaves you 11 for the draft plus 55 and 66 67 and 68 for covering bids (ability to go into 2019 deficit if needs be).

First 22:
B: Bews Blicavs JK
HB: Touhy Hendo Stewart
C: Hall Duncan Kelly
HF: Parfitt Sav Menegola
F: Dahlhaus Hawkins Ablett
R: Martin Selwood Dangerfield
Int: Henry CockatooGuthrie Rohan

Basically gives you reserves of HT Narkle Scooter Stanley Smith/Abbott KK Constable Cunico Fogarty Zuthrie Miers OConnor Buzza Jones Simpson and some draftees (Brownless Scott and our R1).

Gives better ruck depth and more wing and running defender options and run and better forward pressure. Still need more depth at CHF but apart from that an improvement.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back