Rumour GFC 2022 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

The question needs to be asked if trading Grundy to clear $700k and say a late first makes sense for Collingwood why would we want to be on the other side of that? Our ruck division is better than theirs without Grundy and has more depth.

If we really think our ruck will be an issue in the future why don't we go after TDK or Sam Draper at the end of next year when they're out of contract? They wouldn't require a $700k 5-year contract and could give us closer to 10 years of service.
It would easily take close to 700k over 5 to pry either of them out of their existing clubs

The question needs to be asked if trading Grundy to clear $700k and say a late first makes sense for Collingwood why would we want to be on the other side of that? Our ruck division is better than theirs without Grundy and has more depth.

If we really think our ruck will be an issue in the future why don't we go after TDK or Sam Draper at the end of next year when they're out of contract? They wouldn't require a $700k 5-year contract and could give us closer to 10 years of service.

I thought we already had our next 10-year ruck on our list, and wouldn't necessarily be looking for an option which is that long term

I'm not advocating either way in regards to the Grundy debate, but if the club's genuinely interested in him, then I'd think it's because they view him as filling the gap between the retirements of Stanley & Ceglar with when Conway will be ready to step into the #1 role on a regular basis

Agree with the above. Would be somewhat keen if it was a 3 year contract. 5 years isto much risk
It carries substantial risk, but if the cost considers the risk then it may be worth taking.

I don't think his body will hold up for a full 5 years as a ruck that relies on his athleticism, but we probably only need him to be good for 3 maybe 4. Write off the 4th/5th year as a bad investment if that investment cost has been shared with Collingwood.

I don't know how to convert dollars to picks so no idea what the right price is, but I'm sure like all trades there's a walk away cost level

What if Port/Hinkley's ineterest is in Dempsey? And they offered us their First round pick?

I'm getting headaches just thinking about that hypothetical scenario. Lol

I thought we already had our next 10-year ruck on our list, and wouldn't necessarily be looking for an option which is that long term

I'm not advocating either way in regards to the Grundy debate, but if the club's generally interested in him, then I'd think it's because they view him as filling the gap between the retirements of Stanley & Ceglar with when Conway will be ready to step into the #1 role on a regular basis
If the 10 year ruck won't be ready for 3 more years and Grundys body will be shot in 3 then it all adds up pretty well.

As long as you're not selling the farm

Treloar was a similar cap dump and the Dogs paid a future second round for him. Any more than that for Grundy is stupid given he'll be 29 at the start of next season and has 5 years left on his contract. Fast forward 2 or 3 years and we are probably going to pay a bit for Stengle, Close, SDK, Holmes etc. That's the future, you take Grundy and you'll be paying $700k until 2027 when he's 34.

What if Port/Hinkley's ineterest is in Dempsey? And they offered us their First round pick?

I'm getting headaches just thinking about that hypothetical scenario. Lol
I can't see them throwing something like that at a rookie selection 2 game player regardless of how great he's looked

Treloar was a similar cap dump and the Dogs paid a future second round for him. Any more than that for Grundy is stupid given he'll be 29 at the start of next season and has 5 years left on his contract. Fast forward 2 or 3 years and we are probably going to pay a bit for Stengle, Close, SDK, Holmes etc. That's the future, you take Grundy and you'll be paying $700k until 2027 when he's 34.
Bit more to that treloar trade as below.

The fact that Grundys contract is much, much worse should be strongly considered at the trade table

Screenshot_20220827-195303_Chrome.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not advocating either way in regards to the Grundy debate, but if the club's genuinely interested in him, then I'd think it's because they view him as filling the gap between the retirements of Stanley & Ceglar with when Conway will be ready to step into the #1 role on a regular basis

That's a huge amount to pay for at most a 3-year stop gap. Rucks consistently play till 34 (Ryder, Goldstein, etc) so Stanley should have at least 2 years left. By then Conway will have had 3 years in the system and shouldn't be too far off ready. If we need we can bring in a cheap stop gap for an extra year or two.

The only case it is worth considering is if we win a flag and Stanley retires.

Jeez it is hard to keep up with the media. Am I missing anyone from this list of players "linked to Geelong"?

Hopper
Grundy
Bruhn
Henry
Degoey
Scott
Acres

Were we initially linked to Taranto as well? Has anyone said Goldstein?
What do you expect, it's what they do best around this time. And yes, there's plenty more names Worpel, Meek, Tom De Koning, etc. along with any Geelong Falcons player at another club. Maybe Parish needs to be added to the list.

As for Taranto media rumours are Tigers have him locked in and Goldstein wants to be a one club player and will stay at the Roos.

I'd be very surprised if DeGoey and Grundy land at the Cats. I'm not a fan of Hooper but think he'll stay at GWS and make a decision the following year.

I'm not the most optimistic about a Grundy trade but that is pretty pessimistic.

• He might not get back to 100% but he's probably still going to be good.
• Solving Collingwoods cap problem is a two way street, we'd get him cheaper.
• This is just the first point again
$700k for 5 years is definitely not cheap. That could be a disaster waiting to happen.

Make no mistake, getting this wrong is way different to having a punt on Hmac or Mitch Clark.

To people with no interest in VFL what implies Conway is going to be the ruck for ten years anyway?

His surgery went v well.

Heard that from your source? Good news if so.

Lower leg injuries in rucks really worry me but if his body truly is sound we should be making a play for him.

No, I was thinking more along the lines of Knevitt, Holmes and Dempsey at the average age of 19.

I agree and i rate holmes and knevitt in particular for wings.

But we could be looking at scott more as a defender baring in mind next year tuohy will be 33 duncan (who has been playing back) 32 stewart 30 bews 29 and kolo 28 and we actually dont have a lot of young defenders in the vfl (for example theres no obvious small defendee successor for bews unless we put zuthrie in that role) whereas we have a lot more options for wing and forward spots.

We should run for the hills, unless Collingwood pay half his contract.

Otherwise the risk far outweighs the likely return.

The likely return is the next 2-3 flags in between when stanley/ceglar slow down (prob next year) and when conway is ready. I am very aware of how big the risk is which is why im nervous but the return is also obvious given we have 2 30 +rucks a 19yo kid behind them who isnt ready and our window is clearly now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back