• Josh Rachele

• James Rowe (sub)

• Lachlan Sholl

• Rory Sloane

• Brodie Smith

• Taylor Walker

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

During the game when they switched Bolton into the middle I wondered if Nicks would be game to let Jones follow him in there, since he had him, last thing we needed was for bolton to get off the chain.

Anyway, he didn't, but its something we might be able to do in the future when Jones is a bit more settled and I reckon he'll do well at it.

Aww honey, are you upset at me because I criticised you this morning??

Dont be upset dear, that's what you do to everyone.

At least Mutineer still likes your post, he's still your friend. The grouchy-old-retired-men-in-arms friend club. Who wouldn't want to be in such a club lol.

Lol. Nothing to add to your awe-inspiring analysis of harderer, clearancerer and finalsier I see ;)

During the game when they switched Bolton into the middle I wondered if Nicks would be game to let Jones follow him in there, since he had him, last thing we needed was for bolton to get off the chain.

Anyway, he didn't, but its something we might be able to do in the future when Jones is a bit more settled and I reckon he'll do well at it.
LOL

Since you've brought me into it...

I often disagree with the Colonel also but I give credit where it's due.

I'll even give one of your posts a like, the great difficulty is finding one of your posts that's on the mark to give a like.

So I read online that Richmond indigenous players refused to shake Walkera hand.

Haven't seen anything official, you'd think the usual silly fellows would have written an article or two about it
Well McAdam and Tex Hugged multiple times during the game, and looked to be supportive of each other so surely if the opposition see that, they can understand that he's repaired relationships within the club.

Our gameplan is to keep the ball in tight, get it on the ground, make it a scrap and then beat them at the groundball scrap. We rate ourselves at the groundball and the contest. This is how it will be in finals. So its a template built for finals from day 1. We know some other teams arent keen about the contest and like the wide open stuff and the more we can keep it like that and the better we are at it, the more we can draw frustration out of other teams. This all requires nullifying good taps from the oppo, keeping our taps in as close to the ruckman as possible and getting a secondary stoppage from centerbounces since its much better to get the in close taps when ROB can engage in wrestling with the opponent, not having them have a clean jump at it.

You'll almost never see us tap to the mid running past for a clean free flowing exit. That's not our game. Especially not at center bounces and in defense. The more forward it is, the more we'll open it up.
I heard Rahilly say before the Richmond game that we were the number one ground ball get team inside our F50 and it shows, we seem to have kicked a lot of goals from stoppages/loose balls inside our F50 instead of just relying on set shots.

Bolton only got shifted after half time, without a doubt because Chayce had him easily covered up to that point.

Shai Bolton, surprisingly but unarguably, had his colours lowered by Chayce Jones in the first half but his third-quarter cameo turned the tide the Tigers’ way.

An article based upon such keen observation that it managed to get wrong both the number of goals that Rachelle kicked, and the end that we were kicking to.

"Adelaide didn’t panic and responded swiftly, jagging the next three to lead by 14 points at three-quarter-time and wrestle back control of the game before Rachele took over.

He electrified his home fans with three fourth-term goals at the Cathedral End to put an exclamation point on an electric Easter Sunday from the Crows, who seem to be improving with every outing."

An article based upon such keen observation that it managed to get wrong both the number of goals that Rachelle kicked, and the end that we were kicking to.

"Adelaide didn’t panic and responded swiftly, jagging the next three to lead by 14 points at three-quarter-time and wrestle back control of the game before Rachele took over.

He electrified his home fans with three fourth-term goals at the Cathedral End to put an exclamation point on an electric Easter Sunday from the Crows, who seem to be improving with every outing."
Could have sworn the game was on Saturday too.

Have a look at Strachan in SANFL, see how often he'll do a big tap away, even when he's able to reach miles above a shorter opponent. I saw one big belt forward in the whole game against glenelg. Even clear taps he gets in SANFL we don't break away because often we are chasing wherever our opponents go, because we are practicing our AFL setup.

We've been this way for ages, as another poster mentioned above.

Jacobs was a good tapper, but even when he was dominant we still just put it down at our feet.

It is partly an accomodation of ROB's limitations and the limits of the slow mids we've had for years, but it is a pretty good bit of gameplan because there's no easy way to beat it. Only hard work and hard contests does it and I enjoy knowing that if we can get it on our terms every teams going to know that is grind it out to win, or lose, take your pick. Hopefully theyre demoralised before we even start.

I think we're building our side the opposite way to what youre suggesting. We're starting with getting our young players to do the harder stuff first, then when they've mastered that, then they might put on the taps to open space as a polish on top. It makes us look worse earlier on, and gets us some good draft picks, but it stands us in very good stead for later. Sometimes it does shit me tho, epecially with the young players and with how good we make oppo look when we dont get it right.
Your reply made me reminisce --- well, dream fondly, really --- and yearn for the Rehn/McLeod/Roo/Edwards/Johnson/Goodwin etc days when the two flags were won on the back of excellent tapwork to energetic mids on the move.

I looked hard for the clip but couldn't find it; might even have been in a PF, not sure.
There's a throw-in on the RHF boundary, Western side, Crows kicking to the Torrens end. Rehn gives a clear nod to McLeod standing on the Defensive, Grandstand side. When the ball is thrown in, McLeod takes off and runs in a SE direction around the ruck contest from which Rehn puts the ball down his throat and McLeod goals on the run.
Beautiful --- dare I say, perfect? --- goal.
Sigh.
None of this tap-to-the-ground-to-create-a-scrap stuff.

Your summary:
"We're starting with getting our young players to do the harder stuff first, then when they've mastered that, then they might put on the taps to open space as a polish on top. It makes us look worse earlier on, and gets us some good draft picks, but it stands us in very good stead for later." is just a stretch too far for me, I'm afraid.

Get them to do the harder stuff, first????? :eek:
Cart before the horse, mate.

Carmo, our mids do not run both ways, crowd and run into each other and bomb away much more often than lowering their eyes to hit a man on a lead (plenty of examples of that in the 97/98 GF highlights, have a look). A third of the team on the park can barely hit a target 20m away when under no pressure, although I must say that Dawson, Hinge, Sholl, Rachele and McAdam (latter on Saturday) are changing that, recently. Even Himmelberg turned quickly for a lovely short pass to Rachele, early in the 4th quarter. About time! and look how much nous Rachele showed to put himself in the clear. 19, going on 26, that kid; by hell he's good.

The Crows "look worse earlier on" because their basic skill levels are weak, pure and simple, and desperately need working on. And will someone please, please, please show the dynamo Keays --- whom I love --- how to kick with his right foot?? For starters, it'd save him 3kms/game running around to get on his left :sneaky:.

Could have sworn the game was on Saturday too.
The "exclamation point on an electric Easter Sunday" was PA getting done to 0-5, I reckon.
giphy.gif

The "exclamation point on an electric Easter Sunday" was PA getting done to 0-5, I reckon.
giphy.gif
Being cooped up in ISO thanks to the prodigal son bringing home his mate COVID for the Easter break, is that we won, and they lost (again). Oh and chocolate. That helps too.

Being cooped up in ISO thanks to the prodigal son bringing home his mate COVID for the Easter break, is that we won, and they lost (again). Oh and chocolate. That helps too.
We-win-they-lose makes for a great weekend, doesn't it? :D

Herself never uses that particular c-word.

Here, it's known only as Comfort Food, of which there's a sizeable stash in her bedside table, top drawer.
In the morning my go-to is coffee; only one/day. Meanwhile, she mixes a huge heap of a suspicious-looking brown powder made by a company called Cadbury's into a big glass of milk, only ever referred to as her "Vitamin" Drink :rolleyes: . "Only" one/day.

(re: the other c-word, Covid, the daughter of a mate of mine got it, probably at school. They isolated/masked/sanitised and he, his wife and the other 3 kids didn't get it. I hope you avoid it, too!)

Forgive me if it has been said, but in addition to the see-sawing game Saturday, I enjoyed the commentary and comments. Dwayne Russell, Garry Lyons and Jason Dunstall seem to complement each other in the commentary box.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forgive me if it has been said, but in addition to the see-sawing game Saturday, I enjoyed the commentary and comments. Dwayne Russell, Garry Lyons and Jason Dunstall seem to complement each other in the commentary box.
I thought Dwayne must have had a falling out with PAFC because he was (almost) complimentary to the Crows. I love Dunstall calling games. No nonsense, not looking for cutesy sayings.

Good: Overall fitness seems to be tracking really well now. Felt like they were running with very heavy legs in the first 2 rounds. But a lot of players are flying over the ground at the moment.

Might have been a bit of a delayed trigger on the positive impacts from Burgo's new regime. Will be interested in seeing if they continue along this trajectory.

I just don't see how you can ignore the 95 times he fumbled the ball. It was comical, as if he'd left his glasses home.

Yes he's good by foot, buy aerially he's a liability and he makes too many ball handling errors for my liking. If you merged him and Murray, you'd have a good player.

But the stats don't back up what you're saying.

'aerially he's a liability'. Billy had 9 marks for the game. Equal highest with Vlastuin and 3 more than any other Crows player. 6 of those were intercept marks.

Where he needs to get better is some of his standing 1-1's where he gets worked under the ball sometimes, and also some of his ball-handling and decision making under pressure. This will get better the more experience he gets in a position he's still VERY new to.

His ability to running spoil whilst on a 1-1 was actually very good on the weekend, and this was backed up several times by the commentary team.

His attacking run from the back, and metres gained, were elite for a KPD.

Good: Overall fitness seems to be tracking really well now. Felt like they were running with very heavy legs in the first 2 rounds. But a lot of players are flying over the ground at the moment.

Might have been a bit of a delayed trigger on the positive impacts from Burgo's new regime. Will be interested in seeing if they continue along this trajectory.
Could have also been most of the squad getting over COVID just before the season started. Takes a good month to regain full fitness.

Glad he said it, its what everyone is thinking, but you can 100% guarantee Tex will be the one who cop's the backlash from the Turnips on Footy Classified

Caro would be absolutely fuming that anyone could possibly say anything bad about Saint Trent
Last night on FC they talked about Richmond’s lack of discipline, they asked her to comment and she went straight to Sloane and now our lack of leadership and they brought up Tex. Kornes concern was that we were starting to put him out for interviews etc when did this happen?

Last night in FC they talked about Richmond’s lack of discipline, they asked her to comment and she went straight to Sloane and now our lack of leadership and they brought up Tex. Kornes concern was that we were starting to put him out for interviews etc when did this happen?
Yeah I watched that crap show for a bit. They kept bringing up Walker. These people need to give it a rest. There is no leadership vacuum with Sloane going down as well as we have plenty of leaders onfield such as Doedee, Keays, Laird, Walker, Dawson plus some of the young leaders. They could have spent their time talking up some players where our improvement is coming from but they chose to focus on Walker and sniper Cornes saying the club is pushing Walker in the media. Simply a trash show.

He’s right but he really needs to just be quiet and play football now, knowing the AFL he’s going to get fined for that now.
This is the one occasion he was correct to open his mouth. The only reason you'd keep quiet is "Code of Silence" nonsense because you plan on doing something equally filthy at a later stage.

Yeah I watched that crap show for a bit. They kept bringing up Walker. These people need to give it a rest. There is no leadership vacuum with Sloane going down as well as we have plenty of leaders onfield such as Doedee, Keays, Laird, Walker, Dawson plus some of the young leaders. They could have spent their time talking up some players where our improvement is coming from but they chose to focus on Walker and sniper Cornes saying the club is pushing Walker in the media. Simply a trash show.
It's hilarious that Kornes is concerned about Walker doing media :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Good/Bad/Ugly vs Richmond, R5 2022

Back