• Wayne Milera

• Darcy Fogarty

• Brodie Smith

• James Borlase

• Reilly O'Brien

• Mark Keane

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Comments thus far have been incredibly tough on Murphy ......give credit where credit is due, Murphy had a great game & was very influential early

McAdam ....when he's attacking the contest as he did yesterday, add's an extra dynamic to our side .....talk of trading him is non-sensical

Soligo .....great seeing him sharp & influential again

Hinge ......never got the fanboi comments over Redman ....we always had a better version in Hinge, just getting better & better

Thilthorpe ......you can see the improvement with his marking ....he just needs to see himself as "the man" .....needs more swagger
Never going to be more than a fill-in Ruck ......doesn't like an aggressive body against him ....hopefully that improves with more maturity

Worrell .....another who is getting better & better .....he differs from Thilthorpe in that he already has a more outgoing personality & strongly believes in his ability

Keays .....had another strong game ....makes things happen, yes unconventional, that's his attraction though .....and a player you need in Finals

Nankervis ......going to be a very good player ....yesterday though, showed the wear & tear of AFL football .....just looked a bit tired, sharpness wasn't there
This is why AFL Clubs often play young players in 3 game blocks, at the start of their careers

Rachele .....the swagger has gone, and that impacts his game .....just have to play him

Mutineer ....my boy Mac Andrew, who I wanted in the Draft .....he's going to be alright at 201 cm ;)

Hollands is a shadow of the player he was in juniors .......just not fit enough, and not working hard enough ......subbed out, he'll be on the market, if a Club feels they can improve him

Comments thus far have been incredibly tough on Murphy ......give credit where credit is due, Murphy had a great game & was very influential early

McAdam ....when he's attacking the contest as he did yesterday, add's an extra dynamic to our side .....talk of trading him is non-sensical

Hinge ......never got the fanboi comments over Redman ....we always had a better version in Hinge, just getting better & better

Thilthorpe ......you can see the improvement with his marking ....he just needs to see himself as "the man" .....needs more swagger
Never going to be more than a fill-in Ruck ......doesn't like an aggressive body against him ....hopefully that improves with more maturity

Worrell .....another who is getting better & better .....he differs from Thilthorpe in that he already has a more outgoing personality & strongly believes in his ability

Keays .....had another strong game ....makes things happen, yes unconventional, that's his attraction though .....and a player you need in Finals

Nankervis ......going to be a very good player ....yesterday though, showed the wear & tear of AFL football .....just looked a bit tired, sharpness wasn't there
This is why AFL Clubs often play young players in 3 game blocks, at the start of their careers

Rachele .....the swagger has gone, and that impacts his game .....just have to play him

Mutineer ....my boy Mac Andrew, who I wanted in the Draft .....he's going to be alright at 201 cm ;)

Hollands is a shadow of the player he was in juniors .......just not fit enough, and not working hard enough ......subbed out, he'll be on the market, if a Club feels they can improve him
Mac Andrew is still only 19!

You finally might have got one right :p

Mac Andrew is still only 19!
For all the talk that we were screwed over by the NGA changes (turns out we could've picked Keeler if we wanted to), it's Melbourne who were ****ed over the most by missing out on him.

Sloane had a real influence. 12 touches and 5 clearances in basically a quarter of game time

Took a key intercept contested mark as well

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
He's perfect for the sub role. We know he can play good quarters from time to time, just look at the last quarter of the first Showdown and the Hawks game where he dragged us over the line, so it's not surprising he can come off and have some impact. His body isn't capable of running out full games anymore and, whilst it's still better late than never, this is a change that should've happened weeks ago.

Good:

Borlase good on debut. Keane good.
Hinge good overall. Tex and Fog had their moments. Crouch again massive.

Bad:

Yeah Hinge is frustrating because for all of his good he makes some really dumb decisions sometimes.

Ugly:

Not sure our defence can stand up to Brisbane at home. We love playing spuds into form and they don't get much spuddier than Daniher.
Not sure how you can have Hinge in the bad. A guy that takes the game on in the back half as much as he does is going to have a few clnagers.

Love the kid and would love to see him get a run in the midfield.

For all the talk that we were screwed over by the NGA changes (turns out we could've picked Keeler if we wanted to), it's Melbourne who were ****ed over the most by missing out on him.
Will happen to a lot of teams from now on. Mitch Edwards (top 15 ruck in this year’s draft) is NGA aligned with Freo, but won’t land there

Have we changed our mind on Crouch - keeper?

Borlace - I had my doubts but really good first up game. Seems like a kid still growing into his body. Could become a beast. Saved his place on the list IMO.

Love Worrells aggression and work off the left. Not too fussed now if Doedee jumps ship.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will happen to a lot of teams from now on. Mitch Edwards (top 15 ruck in this year’s draft) is NGA aligned with Freo, but won’t land there
Cam McKenzie is another one from last year (aligned with the Saints, picked by the Hawks).

No they weren’t. No one ever gets ‘screwed over’ by missing out on an academy player. They are freebies which the clubs do very little to ‘earn’. Almost all of these players would be playing AFL despite the academies, although the nsw and qld academies can probably make a better case.

How many players with the athletic qualities needed for NRL would make good AFL players? Not many.

Again, maybe a better case to be made for soccer/cricket/basketball players.

No they weren’t. No one ever gets ‘screwed over’ by missing out on an academy player. They are freebies which the clubs do very little to ‘earn’. Almost all of these players would be playing AFL despite the academies, although the nsw and qld academies can probably make a better case.

How many players with the athletic qualities needed for NRL would make good AFL players? Not many.

Again, maybe a better case to be made for soccer/cricket/basketball players.

I'm not sure in the case of Mac Andrew that he would have been playing Aussie Rules. Melbourne put a lot of work into him.

Guys like Cam Mackenzie though almost certainly would have been anyway

What really confused me yesterday was the Umpires' ever-changing, kaleidoscopic concept of 'prior opportunity' and holding the ball. My thoughts are:
--- if a player can spin or duck, that's prior opportunity.
--- if a player takes possession, does nothing/stands, waits for the tackle (ie "holds" the ball, doing nothing), that's p.o.
--- if a player can lift his hands with the ball, no-one there, takes the tackle, p.o.

Many good, timely tackles from both sides went unrewarded, yet several other quick tackles with no p.o. were called htb. I was confused, watching.
I can see that the players were similarly Hamlet-confused:
To tackle or not to tackle, that is the question.

He had a good start then went missing in the 3rd Quarter when the game was slipping away, Then got a couple of touches when the game was won.
That's the part of the problem with Sloane in the side, even as a sub. He comes on and it's "Harry, go to the wing, Rory's here now". Sloane got nearly as many CBA's (8) in 25% ToG than Schoenberg had (9) in 68% ToG.

I'm not sure in the case of Mac Andrew that he would have been playing Aussie Rules. Melbourne put a lot of work into him.

Guys like Cam Mackenzie though almost certainly would have been anyway
Maybe, maybe not, started playing Aussie Rules at U9's level for Wantirna South and then for the Berwick Junior Football Club ...from memory I remember reading he was already on the Dandenong Stingrays radar when in 2018 he was invited to join Melbourne's NGA program (Cranbourne is in the Demons zone).

Wouldn't have spent a whole lot of time in the Dees program prior to the draft with Victoria's strict Covid lockdown happening.

Flanders however...

Rash just isnt hitting the contest at all. Like all confidence / arrogant swagger is gone at the moment
Yeah, yesterday it was strange watching him.
Without that "arrogant swagger" it's like he's lost that young colt spark.

I wondered if Nicks had told him to pull his head in a bit, or maybe someone close to him (eg a parent?) expressed real disappointment at him throwing that punch and getting suspended. It's speculation, I know I'm guessing, but if we have to take Rachele's antics to get the talented edge, I'm all for it eg
Akermanis and his carry-on (let him do a hand-stand after a win, no harm done), or the way/s that Blighty suppressed Modra's flair and tried to make him an all-rounder (let him take his hangers and kick goals --- he was a speccy full-forward excitement machine).

Really good post, WW, thanks for the food-for-thought:
I think he comes in and out of the game too much; mixes lengthy mediocrity with flashes of brilliance.
He's selected on the basis of his effort, imo.
You can't have impact-without-effort, but effort-without-impact (eg like McHenry, similar) is not enough.
Who's talking about trading him?
He's just starting to show his real talents again.
Yeah, he does a lot of very clever stuff. He's shorter but more nuggety-solid than Sholl, but wfa a much better player. Soligo has WOW-factor.
I agree, and just do not understand the Keays-hate in here. His two-way running is invaluable and he's an effective linkman. People complain about his Joe-the-goose goals but if he's fit enough to run into position to kick them, goodonim I say.
Keays is starting to look like he's thinking more about what's around him and not just going full-bore. He does a lot of one-%ers that largely go unnoticed (tap-ons, blocks/shepherds) and sells good candy but
GEEZ :grimacing::grimacing:
I wish he'd work on his R-foot kicking. Tex is the man he should be talking to about kicking strongly with both feet.
He hasn't found that balance between uncontrolled swagger and more quiet/restrained focus.
Yet.
He's only 20. In 2-3+ years he'll be a star. Must persevere with him, as you said.

Was very interesting viewing and conversations at the game. 1st quarter you noticed soligo and shoenberg play more in midfield, we all saw the scoreboard impact, and how they linked with crouch/ Dawson who were driving through the contest.

Our bay was discussing how crows have finally been pulled kicking and screaming into playing kids who deserve a game, in there correct positions and also beginning to make some hard correct calls on non performing players.

Then in the third, we watched and discussed what was happening and noticed that whilst we have come someway, it’s too easy to revert to our old ways then complain kids arnt getting it done. That third quarter we noticed old firm back in the middle, went looking for berg and soli… well to fit old guard they were pushed out to wing and hff respectively…. Which aligns to when people say here they went ‘quiet’

Our team has the talent, but needs to break this cycle and let kids develop in their roles and move underperforming players to periphery. Give cook more then one game, nank made debut due to illness, play Keane earlier instead of going small… we did comment that had Taylor not been injured and played afl this year, our current set up would have him in forward pocket and dropped 2 weeks later.

Wasn’t all rosy I did say wouldn’t it be great to get rankine and pedlar back and drop keays and Murphy and got a spray from some sections.

Back