Review Good/Bad v Brisbane, Round 9

Remove this Banner Ad

I wish the mods would delete comments I don't agree with too

So you think we should just keep being disrespectful to players in all threads? There is a Mackay discussion thread already. Go to that one if you and others feel the need. Not every thread needs to be hijacked with anti Mackay comments especially when he didn't even play.

I'll reiterate what I said.

You can't finish top 4 unless you beat at least a few top 8 sides. Until Port shows they can actually beat top 8 sides, they aren't a top 4 contender.

All Port have done this year is bully shit teams and lose to top 8 sides with a full strength team, even at home
Of course they can beat top 8 sides , if you're in games for as long as they have been you can easily end up winning them

You need to see beyond just the result

There's good, there's bad, there's ugly, and then there's ARE YOUR FRICKEN KIDDING ME???

The underrated aspect of this goal is the unbelievable manner in which he stole the ball from the Brisbane defender. No other player in the AFL could've pulled this off AND finished off with a goal.

The underrated aspect of this goal is the unbelievable manner in which he stole the ball from the Brisbane defender. No other player in the AFL could've pulled this off AND finished off with a goal.

He just ran right into the Lions players kicking area with no regard for his own safety. Betts doesn't get enough nearly credit for his defensive work.

What did everybody think of Brad Crouch's game? He kicked a really nice goal but he still seems to be constantly looking for a easy handball instead of backing his kick. He's low on confidence atm.

Should we be concerned about these blokes too??
I think you're reading way too much into those stats personally.

Dangerfield had 13 kicks and 23 handballs
Josh Kennedy 12 kicks 23 handballs
Mitch Wallis 8 kicks 18 handballs
Luke Dalhaus 8 kicks 15 handballs
Jackson Macrae 7 kicks 16 handballs
Why should we be concerned with players from other sides?

Strange statement too re Talia and a KPD, surely you can see an inside mid plays in a far more contested and congested position than a KPD?
It was to do with what I see as a game plan. ie more kicks than handballs. I noticed Talia had the same ratio and excused it as part of his role in setting up the wave.

Yes I can see there is a difference in mids and backs. I can also see a difference between 2 mids and the rest having skewed ratios. If your point was that mids have to handball more than kick then why don't the other mids also have the same ratio? Its not a concern, just an anomaly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you think we should just keep being disrespectful to players in all threads? There is a Mackay discussion thread already. Go to that one if you and others feel the need. Not every thread needs to be hijacked with anti Mackay comments especially when he didn't even play.
Where it's relevant then yes. If you disagree with anything, respond and argue your point.

He just ran right into the Lions players kicking area with no regard for his own safety. Betts doesn't get enough nearly credit for his defensive work.

What did everybody think of Brad Crouch's game? He kicked a really nice goal but he still seems to be constantly looking for a easy handball instead of backing his kick. He's low on confidence atm.
Thought Brad was one who needed the easy kill. Definetly got much better as the opposition got worse but perhaps that's what he needed.

He does tend to use the handball too much, but he also ran into space and burst from a few packs.

Interesting listening to Chris Fagan's presser mentioned very pleased with Jake Barrett's game on Brodie Smith, played him on Brodie in a "defensive" forward role, shut Brodie's influence right down and also hit the scoreboard. Also mentioned he thought Robertson's job on Sloane was better than some thought, though Sloane got a bit of it reckoned it was Robertson's pressure that saw Sloane's 17 kicks go at a lowly 53%.
One question I would have liked to have asked is did Fagan think about letting Robinson run free once Beams was out of action. Instead of concentrating on a defensive action whether it would be better for him to be part of the offensive midfield rotations.

I'll reiterate what I said.

You can't finish top 4 unless you beat at least a few top 8 sides. Until Port shows they can actually beat top 8 sides, they aren't a top 4 contender.

All Port have done this year is bully shit teams and lose to top 8 sides with a full strength team, even at home

It will be interesting to see how Pear go against the Cats. My take on them is that they are playing good footy and have a full list to choose from, so beware. Their teamwork has been exceptional the last few games and confidence is high. They could well go all the way this year, as much as it is painful to suggest that.
I guess you're right in saying we can't judge how good they may be until they play more top 8 sides, but my take is that they are playing much better footy now than early in the year.

One question I would have liked to have asked is did Fagan think about letting Robinson run free once Beams was out of action. Instead of concentrating on a defensive action whether it would be better for him to be part of the offensive midfield rotations.
He was rotating through the midfield, every time Rory went off, Robertson went off, every time Rory re-entered the playing field Robertson re-entered the playing field. I wouldn't think that thought would have even crossed Fagan's mind because let's face it Rory's influence on the game wasn't that great.

Happy for Brad to handball tbh. His decision making by foot tends to be pretty horrendous. Would prefer him getting it into the hands of Atkins, Douglas, Smith and even Sloane to kick it inside 50. Ditto for Matt. Every side needs at least 2 of these types.

You're not a top 4 contender if you can't beat top 8 sides.

Richmond lost to Adelaide, Bulldogs, Fremantle and GWS in consecutive weeks. Only decent sides they've beaten are Melbourne and they didn't look like winning that game until Melbourne were two men down; and West Coast, who are incapable of winning at the MCG and had more scoring shots anyway

This would mean Port aren't a top 4 contender either. They are yet to beat a top 8 side

He was rotating through the midfield, every time Rory went off, Robertson went off, every time Rory re-entered the playing field Robertson re-entered the playing field. I wouldn't think that thought would have even crossed Fagan's mind because let's face it Rory's influence on the game wasn't that great.
I agree its a balancing act, but I am mindful of another post where you talked about Brisbanes stocks and how they need to re-learn how to play, and to do so is to line up alongside great players and follow them.

Just think it would be better doing this by trying to win the ball rather than stop someone else ie tagging Sloane once a side is 10 goals up

Talia and Hartigan have been putrid for most of this year.

Talia's PS form was complete wank and Hartigan started the year off well and has dropped off a bit.

They are dropping easy marks and are fumbling so much at the moment which is putting everyone under double the amount of pressure and we are conceding the worst goals.

It's a real concern that Lever comes in and is considerably better than both of these blokes at the moment. They need to seriously lift their form in the 2nd half of the year.
Is Lever ready to play as a genuine key defender? If he can then there will be certain opponents where we won't need all of Talia, Hartigan and Lever. Can ease out Hartigan on occasions and get some more run back there.

Why should we be concerned with players from other sides?

It was to do with what I see as a game plan. ie more kicks than handballs. I noticed Talia had the same ratio and excused it as part of his role in setting up the wave.

Yes I can see there is a difference in mids and backs. I can also see a difference between 2 mids and the rest having skewed ratios. If your point was that mids have to handball more than kick then why don't the other mids also have the same ratio? Its not a concern, just an anomaly.

It's not an anomaly, it is common with most mids.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...2=10&type=A&pid1=3940&pid2=2310&fid1=S&fid2=S

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...2=11&type=A&pid1=3940&pid2=3659&fid1=S&fid2=S

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...2=17&type=A&pid1=3940&pid2=1758&fid1=S&fid2=S

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...2=19&type=A&pid1=3940&pid2=1696&fid1=S&fid2=S

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...2=13&type=A&pid1=3940&pid2=3318&fid1=S&fid2=S

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...d2=9&type=A&pid1=3940&pid2=3694&fid1=S&fid2=S

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Good/Bad v Brisbane, Round 9

Remove this Banner Ad

Back