Review Good/Bad v Brisbane, Round 9

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting listening to Chris Fagan's presser mentioned very pleased with Jake Barrett's game on Brodie Smith, played him on Brodie in a "defensive" forward role, shut Brodie's influence right down and also hit the scoreboard. Also mentioned he thought Robertson's job on Sloane was better than some thought, though Sloane got a bit of it reckoned it was Robertson's pressure that saw Sloane's 17 kicks go at a lowly 53%.

It was easy to pick that Douglass who is having a fantastic year and held his own last night along with Otten who kicked a couple of goals rucked and did his job, that they would be the whipping boys after Mackay was dropped it was as predictable as a bear shitting in the woods
Douglas had a good first month, been poor since. To both of their credits they, in particular Otten got much better but they were ordinary for large parts last night.

Hardly brain surgery.

Brown would be a great tagged. The type of guy who would keeep the oppo best mid to 20 touches and get 20 himself.
I did notice it, but not sure how effective be actually was. Looked a bit lost to me by didn't mind it as it was probably new to him.

It's a nice option to have though, however for that to work effectively against reasonable opposition then they have to have no dangerous small forwards or we have someone who can genuinely backup Brown as a small defender.

I don't see anyone in our current team that can fill that role.

Happy to try it on a case by case basis though.

Wouldn't mind us giving the Gooch a crack at this role either. Has the absolute athleticism to be a pest for the entire game and would be a great learning experience. Perhaps, he doesn't have the endurance yet though.

Douglas had a good first month, been poor since. To both of their credits they, in particular Otten got much better but they were ordinary for large parts last night.

Hardly brain surgery.

No one deserves to be whipped especially those two after yesterday's game

If your honest Galluci Hampton and Smith wore the worst but for obvious reasons that's not saying they deserve to be dropped, it was Galluci s first game I can cut him some slack and TBH Milera was in and out of it.

The only one that will be dropped is injury driven if it's smith or Hampton it must be Wigg coming in both are creative players our structure has us attacking through defence. So Cheney and Doedee are just too defensive with zero run and attack and if you can't see that is our game plan then you are blind

Interesting listening to Chris Fagan's presser mentioned very pleased with Jake Barrett's game on Brodie Smith, played him on Brodie in a "defensive" forward role, shut Brodie's influence right down and also hit the scoreboard. Also mentioned he thought Robertson's job on Sloane was better than some thought, though Sloane got a bit of it reckoned it was Robertson's pressure that saw Sloane's 17 kicks go at a lowly 53%.
I was wondering why Smithers was getting instantly tacked every time he touched it earlier in the game. Lucky we've got Lairdy then!

I did notice it, but not sure how effective be actually was. Looked a bit lost to me by didn't mind it as it was probably new to him.

It's a nice option to have though, however for that to work effectively against reasonable opposition then they have to have no dangerous small forwards or we have someone who can genuinely backup Brown as a small defender.

I don't see anyone in our current team that can fill that role.

Happy to try it on a case by case basis though.

Wouldn't mind us giving the Gooch a crack at this role either. Has the absolute athleticism to be a pest for the entire game and would be a great learning experience. Perhaps, he doesn't have the endurance yet though.
Gallucci always in the very top echelon of all the endurance specific testing along with Jarrod Berry the last 2 years. The two most professional and single minded youngsters at the AFL Academy with an AFL career in mind, worked their asses off.

No one deserves to be whipped especially those two after yesterday's game

If your honest Galluci Hampton and Smith wore the worst but for obvious reasons that's not saying they deserve to be dropped, it was Galluci s first game I can cut him some slack and TBH Milera was in and out of it.

The only one that will be dropped is injury driven if it's smith or Hampton it must be Wigg coming in both are creative players our structure has us attacking through defence. So Cheney and Doedee are just too defensive with zero run and attack and if you can't see that is our game plan then you are blind
Thought Tex wasn't brilliant again as well.

Cheney with zero attack?? And you call me blind........

I was wondering why Smithers was getting instantly tacked every time he touched it earlier in the game. Lucky we've got Lairdy then!

The thing that bothers me about the umpiring on tagging is that often when you slow the footage of stoppages down, players being tagged are often tackled before they even get possession of the ball. I noticed in the 2nd half they picked up on some of the tactics against Sloane and started paying free kicks but surely umpires should look to pay frees from the start.

Fagen should have a good hard look at himself. By playing two taggers he effectively was playing a 16 on 18 game of footy and they got flogged sideways as a result. It's a bull$%it tactic and its why his side hasn't won a game since round one.

The thing that bothers me about the umpiring on tagging is that often when you slow the footage of stoppages down, players being tagged are often tackled before they even get possession of the ball. I noticed in the 2nd half they picked up on some of the tactics against Sloane and started paying free kicks but surely umpires should look to pay frees from the start.

Fagen should have a good hard look at himself. By playing two taggers he effectively was playing a 16 on 18 game of footy and they got flogged sideways as a result. It's a bull$%it tactic and its why his side hasn't won a game since round one.
He's teaching them to run with the best. Rory is one of the games best mids, Smithers one of the best flankers.

He knows they can't win but if he can teach his guys the defensive actions it's a good thing.

Until they eventually leave like everyone else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No it's not!
Both those guys did a very good job, Barrett especially.

It's because the club culture had been torn to shreds under a hopeless Justin Leppitsch coaching tenure and he's fast tracking the development a lot of youngsters that ideally wouldn't be expected to carry such a heavy load so early in their careers, that along with some very average older players not stepping up to the plate. They have some great young talent but Fagan's toughest job will be keeping them in Queensland, guys like Eric Hipwood, Josh Schache, Harris Andrews, Hugh McCluggage, Jarrod Berry, Ben Keays, Alex Witherden, Cedric Cox, Rhys Mathieson, Jacob Allison, Matthew Hammelmann is a very good core group for the future.

Hardly brain surgery.
Douglas was one of the better players in the 2 losses and the contested ball stats back this up

Need to be careful with analysis

So true. As soon as the tagger knows the ball is in flight towards the player who will receive it they lay the contact.

Douglas was one of the better players in the 2 losses and the contested ball stats back this up

Need to be careful with analysis
His contested work wasn't bad again, he got his hands to the ball first at most occasions only to fumble the pill when he got it. Did it against North too though he was far from alone.

Although Douglas was poor in the first quater, he wasnt on his Pat Malone. He worked his way into the gane and played ok. Otten was poor in the first half and ok after half time, but think hes on borrowed time. Cant provide pressure unless he gets a gallop up, by then the play has gone 50m up the field. We cant harrass Thommo for being unable to provide pressure and let Otten get away with it because we feel sorry for him due to his knee issues. McGovern is one our forward line misses.
Atkins is also on notice for me, I love what he brings but he needs to harden up a bit. Too much shirking imo. I thought our defensive set up was much better after 1/4 time, but still quite a few concerns.

Just a side note. All those keyboard morons on here still bagging Mackay, how about show a little bit of respect. He deserved to get dropped and he did. That should end it there. It would be great if the Mods stepped in and looked after players every now and then.
I wish the mods would delete comments I don't agree with too

His contested work wasn't bad again, he got his hands to the ball first at most occasions only to fumble the pill when he got it. Did it against North too though he was far from alone.

If we are any chance at a premiership we are going to need Douglas in that team and he is actually playing well even in our poor games he held his own

When I say Cheney isn't attacking our structure is based around laird and Smith of the HB line there is no way Cheney is that type of player Wigg would be a far more suitable replacement as he can get the pill like those two, and to mention Doedee as an attacking type is ridiculous he is a tall third option shut down type but with the amount of talls we have in the team all of which have shown something this year apart from JJ he might have a wait Along with Dear

Of course they are a top 4 contender

Unlike us they've prob only played 20 mins of really bad football all year ( last qtr GWS) and have been in every game they've played ( also unlike us )
I'll reiterate what I said.

You can't finish top 4 unless you beat at least a few top 8 sides. Until Port shows they can actually beat top 8 sides, they aren't a top 4 contender.

All Port have done this year is bully shit teams and lose to top 8 sides with a full strength team, even at home

If we are any chance he needs to grab it first time, like he did in the first month. With so much attention going to Rory he will get more time and space, he CAN hurt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Good/Bad v Brisbane, Round 9

Remove this Banner Ad

Back