Review Good/Bad v Brisbane, Round 9

Remove this Banner Ad

My issue with the season so far is how it is shaping perfectly for Sydney. They had their horror run already so that is out the way. No other team has looked all that impressive. They are finals hardened and with the likely demise of the Doggies, are slowly building back up to full steam. Other teams in the meantime are hogging the limelight. So while the pretenders battle it out the Swannies are quietly going about their business. (As much as I hate to say it)

0-6 is a LONG way to come back from though. It's hardly like they planned to have no wins by round 6.....

You would think that they are no chance for top 4, as they'd need to win just about every game form here to be in it, and they may be due another few down games (like every other team in the comp)

The underrated aspect of this goal is the unbelievable manner in which he stole the ball from the Brisbane defender. No other player in the AFL could've pulled this off AND finished off with a goal.

Normally when I watch us kick goals on TV I fist pump and cheer etc but with this I was just left sitting on the floor thinking bulls&*t. He has reached the stage in my view where he is getting even more ridiculous and all you can do is just sit there and be left speechless. Just when you think you have seen the best he can produce he does something even better. He has to be the best goal sneak in AFL history now.

Normally when I watch us kick goals on TV I fist pump and cheer etc but with this I was just left sitting on the floor thinking bulls&*t. He has reached the stage in my view where he is getting even more ridiculous and all you can do is just sit there and be left speechless. Just when you think you have seen the best he can produce he does something even better. He has to be the best goal sneak in AFL history now.

The only one who comes close in terms of regularity of ridiculous goals is Daicos.

Is Lever ready to play as a genuine key defender? If he can then there will be certain opponents where we won't need all of Talia, Hartigan and Lever. Can ease out Hartigan on occasions and get some more run back there.
We should experiment and swap Hartigan and lever.

Hartigan is actually really quick and when given time and space can deliver with penetration. Why not release him to be a third tall and aim to use his size and speed. I think the release of pressure may actually suit him. Could be a Nathan Bassett situation.

Last night's game would have been ideal to try this though and the opportunities try this now are thin.

Hartigan is actually really quick and when given time and space can deliver with penetration. Why not release him to be a third tall and aim to use his size and speed. I think the release of pressure may actually suit him. Could be a Nathan Bassett situation.

Last night's game would have been ideal to try this though and the opportunities try this now are thin.

Reads the ball exceptionally well. He could play up the ground I feel especially when up against a small forward line.

The average will apply pressure for longer, the best sides will sustain pressure.

The first quarter was very worrying and will be what needs the most analysis.

This was Brisbane for f#$k sake and they simply followed a blueprint and made us look likes panicky scared little pussies, for a quarter at least.

This will reinforce the perceptions of us.
I think Brisbane had some beautiful passages of play a few times throughout the game that were very hard to stop. It shows they have the nucleus there of some quality. What they lack is experience and composure. Having said that, I want to watch that first quarter again to see where we fell down. The good thing though, is we got our mojo back. Regardless of opposition, this was a very important thing.

Just a side note. All those keyboard morons on here still bagging Mackay, how about show a little bit of respect. He deserved to get dropped and he did. That should end it there. It would be great if the Mods stepped in and looked after players every now and then.

Agree, the MacKay bashing is over the top. He played alright first couple of rounds, has been a servant of the club and has been dropped. nuff said.

Generally though I've been unhappy with the lack of rotations at the selection table this last year and a bit, good to see we blooded 2 new guys but we could do more..

Of the game, I was generally happy, I thought there were quite a few passengers still though. BCrouch and Milera only seem to come into it once we're on top, they can't seem to get it done when game is on line... I thought Hampton was improved though as was CC23

Only 13,802 at the Gabba :$ On TV it sounded like there was just as many crows fans. Those different coloured seats are tarps in disguise.
There were as many of us. And at times, their crowd sound was amplified through the speakers. They had sections 50-58 on the upper level completely closed off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree, the MacKay bashing is over the top. He played alright first couple of rounds, has been a servant of the club and has been dropped. nuff said.

Generally though I've been unhappy with the lack of rotations at the selection table this last year and a bit, good to see we blooded 2 new guys but we could do more..

Of the game, I was generally happy, I thought there were quite a few passengers still though. BCrouch and Milera only seem to come into it once we're on top, they can't seem to get it done when game is on line... I thought Hampton was improved though as was CC23

It's a sheep mentality after all sheep have very small brains

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Was really happy with Brouchs game. After a bad clanger early where he kicked long straight to oppo...was a Ohhh Brad moment, I thought he made the choice to be tough and a bully around the contest. If only his body can hold up to it.
Maybe that's what we're gonna get from Brad...more bull than class. Might not be so bad.

Just a thought

I think one of the best things to come out of the game was that Mackay was made traveling emergency for a reason I hope. If he was and he will not be on our list next year, then afc is smarter than I thought

Nearly 100% would be due to the SANFL bye last week. Wouldn't want the next guys in to gave missed 2 weeks in a row. Of course there's every chance he'll be back without an SANFL game as well.

In my opinion Lever is so valuable as that third tall defender and being able to come off as he is so good at killing the contest with those huge spoils, and he is also really good at taking the grab when he is in a position to and thus turning defence in to offence. Not saying Hartigan wouldn't be good in the role but I feel Lever is so important to the side in the role.

I don't have stats to back it up and haven't got time to go through games but I reckon the opposition score very rarely when Lever gets to a contest.

Poholke has been battling and Wigg has been best on in 3 of his last 4 sanfl games

If poholke playes before Wigg he should walk

Seeing our selections, I reckon it's quite safe to say Wigg won't be walking come the end of the season, he'll be delisted.

After all, you're just about on the scrapheap when a first year overtakes you.

Edit: Plus with the leaked stuff last year about him doing well, yet us not wanting to put him in sounds very Grigg like.

Was really happy with Brouchs game. After a bad clanger early where he kicked long straight to oppo...was a Ohhh Brad moment, I thought he made the choice to be tough and a bully around the contest. If only his body can hold up to it.
Maybe that's what we're gonna get from Brad...more bull than class. Might not be so bad.

Just a thought

I feel like this is almost his rookie year. He's rebuilding after such a long time away from AFL level. He just needs time and confidence in his body. It's clear he also doesn't have elite fitness levels still. Not surprising really

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Good/Bad v Brisbane, Round 9

Remove this Banner Ad

Back