Review Good vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

What a load of horseshit.

So.. What are you saying?.. that the other three blokes that jumped up off the bench to celebrate did so because they weren't stuffed and hadn't been giving their all so they had the energy to do so?

Laird barely even claps.. and its clear its cause he’s sulking about the fact he’s been dragged to the bench at a crucial time in the game and his replacement just kicked the winner. Stop fxxkn excusing this s**t.

The lengths some in here go to support their little favourites is just pathetic..

He’s a poorly skilled, panic merchant that has bulit a s**t career based on making sure he gets 30+ possessions a game.. thats his KPI.. what he does with those 30+ possessions doesnt matter to him. He couldn't care less if they actually damage the opposition.

A complete hack..

Should be dropped.

Along with his mate Smith..
Not sure about all of this, but I agree he played at times like a person that has been demoted.

He needs to get over that and rediscover his new role and embrace this.

I did see him at half back at times during the match so I'm guessing this rotation is part of the new role.

He took one strong (although uncontested) mark at half back, hopefully this generates a spark and he rediscovers how he used to play that role.

The problem isn't that he was slow to change

The problem is that he needed to change

Months of planning and preparation on a crap set up and style that doesn't work. A whole season effectively down the toilet.

They'll just get the next thing wrong

And that they started with a plan that any sensible person would have known was doomed to fail and had in fact failed before: the Crouch and Laird midfield.

So.. What are you saying?.. that the other three blokes that jumped up off the bench to celebrate did so because they weren't stuffed and hadn't been giving their all so they had the energy to do so?

Laird barely even claps.. and its clear its cause he’s sulking about the fact he’s been dragged to the bench at a crucial time in the game and his replacement just kicked the winner. Stop fxxkn excusing this s**t.

The lengths some in here go to support their little favourites is just pathetic..

Absolutely rubbish take, watching the clip it’s pretty obvious he is clapping. Just because he doesn’t get carried away when there is still a minute left on the clock , doesn’t mean he didn’t care

He’s also got great fitness and strength. He’s not the bloke you want delivering the risky kicks because he just lacks penetration and precision with his kicking. But as a grunt player around the ball I think he’s an important part of our midfield. I’d pick to have his head over the ball than Laird.

Having him surrounded by Soligo, Rachele, Rankine, Dawson etc is a passable midfield.

I also have to say that I joined the pile on of Jones earlier in the game. But he was very solid through the back half. I don’t think he’s a complete write off.
Agree but I'd go as far as not even pairing him with Dawson.

Keep Dawson and Crouch in seperate midfield rotations.

But not importantly coaches need to be much more flexibile in terms of midfield setup and rotations. Understand who the opposition are and setup accordingly. Horses for courses and set up individuals for success. If Crouch ends up on a Petracca then fracking change that set up. Set the guy up for success and don't leave him hanging. Defence is where it's going to hurt most for Crouch limit the damage as much as possible.

The coaches changed virtually everything because their preferred selections, set up and game style were proven to be muppet level

Yay coaches
There are people that mentally block out anything negative about the club. They've already forgotten we just dropped 4 winnable games for no reason other than bad coaching. If we narrowly miss finals again, they won't make the connection.

The same thing happened last year. Nicks is just unlucky and got screwed by a bad goal umpire, never mind his selection policies during the middle of the year that cost us a bunch of games.

Whats this about?

I think a few would be interested, including myself. It may be confirmation bias, but on the (admittedly limited) things I have heard and read of Hombsch, he comes across as a very impressive individual with a good understanding of the game. His line (defence) has performed admirably thus far. A young coach, with the ability to communicate and understand the ‘modern’ game, would not surprise me if he did stand up and tell his seniors that what they were doing was rubbish and change is needed.

There are people that mentally block out anything negative about the club. They've already forgotten we just dropped 4 winnable games for no reason other than bad coaching. If we narrowly miss finals again, they won't make the connection.

The same thing happened last year. Nicks is just unlucky and got screwed by a bad goal umpire, never mind his selection policies during the middle of the year that cost us a bunch of games.
I think it’s you that’s forgotten we are 1:0

He’s a poorly skilled, panic merchant that has bulit a s**t career based on making sure he gets 30+ possessions a game.. thats his KPI.. what he does with those 30+ possessions doesnt matter to him. He couldn't care less if they actually damage the opposition.

A complete hack..

Should be dropped.

Along with his mate Smith..
Terrible take . This is simply trolling

Completely agree.

They would have trained all pre-seasom with this more dynamic midfield of Rankine, Soligo and Rachele then come season proper the coaches resort to boring sideways crab midfield.

The (younger) players would be going wtf!? Not only is that not what was being trained but they don't believe in that system. This was clear in the way they were playing.
And they were being blamed

I can believe the amount of stock the numptys on here place in talking head interviews.

I absolutely don't want our coaching staff giving an emotional moment by moment recount of their plans.

Say we are taking it one week at a time - but actually make changes behind closed doors.

Nicks waited a week too long and was too conservative in his rate of change, but it seems to now be there.
Hes publicly blamed the players for the shitshow he created, on what planet is that ok?

One week too late? 0-4. It hasn’t taken the cheerleading numpties to jump back in line “club good club great”

Fair dinkum to call posters numpties and then produce the crap you’re coming up with shows a complete lack of self awareness

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rubbish. We are not asking for an emotional outpouring, just some honesty. Even last night he once again took the opportunity to say that he didn’t think our problem in the first four weeks was speed of movement from the midfield ( despite the massive pile of evidence that it absolutely was, including every commentator assessment ) and then said it’s more about ‘ shape of ball’ . What the hell is that ??? He’s like a politician.
Did he really say that? Politician is a good call, even though they sometimes admit they got it wrong

And the beginning of the year until Dawson suggested he move to the midfield plus going in short against Richmond.

Nank should have played 20 games by now.

Completely agree.

They would have trained all pre-seasom with this more dynamic midfield of Rankine, Soligo and Rachele then come season proper the coaches resort to boring sideways crab midfield.

The (younger) players would be going wtf!? Not only is that not what was being trained but they don't believe in that system. This was clear in the way they were playing.

I think it's even worse than you described

Rankine did have 7 CBAs in the Gold Coast match (out of a possible 13). All in the first three quarters where we kicked just 3 goals and were being absolutely poleaxed.

I think the coaches went into that game expecting an easy win. It's only Gold Coast right, and we practically made finals last year! Then oops, playing Rankine in the midfield "backfired".

This was exacerbated by us putting Rankine back into the forward line in the last quarter and looking okay. Immediate validation he can't play midfield.

I think the coaches were extremely reactionary to this. The lesson they took was Rankine can't leave the forward line for any serious amount of time. So they dumped him and all their plans quick smart in favor of boring, conservative trash

Which was the wrong lesson. The actual lesson we should have learned is Crouch and Laird don't work together in the midfield.

We've talked on here a lot that Nicks doesn't have a long term plan for the team, that he doesn't have any confidence in non-senior players to get it done and that he's highly reactionary. All of those things played out in the first few rounds

Won away :whitecheck:
Won against Top 4/8 :whitecheck:
Won a close one :whitecheck:

The number of hoodoos checked off in that game was fantastic.

Nicks better not revert else he can go back to ******* off.

Soligo still the future GOAT
'Go back to ******* off" LOVE that turn of phrase!😆👍... hope I never have to hear it again🤞

I think it's even worse than you described

Rankine did have 7 CBAs in the Gold Coast match (out of a possible 13). All in the first three quarters where we kicked just 3 goals and were being absolutely poleaxed.

I think the coaches went into that game expecting an easy win. It's only Gold Coast right, and we practically made finals last year! Then oops, playing Rankine in the midfield "backfired".

This was exacerbated by us putting Rankine back into the forward line in the last quarter and looking okay. Immediate validation he can't play midfield.

I think the coaches were extremely reactionary to this. The lesson they took was Rankine can't leave the forward line for any serious amount of time. So they dumped him and all their plans quick smart in favor of boring, conservative trash

Which was the wrong lesson. The actual lesson we should have learned is Crouch and Laird don't work together in the midfield.

We've talked on here a lot that Nicks doesn't have a long term plan for the team, that he doesn't have any confidence in non-senior players to get it done and that he's highly reactionary. All of those things played out in the first few rounds
I think Nicks doesn't have genuine belief in what he says still.

Ive said before that he comes across as someone who's still imitating and repeating what he's heard others say.

He hasn't quite discovered his own voice and as result doesn't really have the belief or conviction to see things through.

I think once he gets over that, there may be a coach there.

However what you see now is a coach that will fall back onto safety as a self defence mechanism as he constantly feels in danger due to a lack of true belief.

Finally a win, and an away win at that. Let's hope they gain some confidence and it's not too late to rescue something from this so far disappointing season.

And for the Nicks defenders and those who claim our midfield structure in rd 5 was a plan, he caught up with King before the Melbourne game defending our midfield structure and showed him a video of what he thought we were getting wrong.

Thats not the actions of a coach who knew what the issue was, its the action of a man in denial who was dragged to the inevitable conclusion that our midfield mix sucked.

Just watched the last two minutes.

We were an Owies stubbed toe away from being 0-5. Nice watching another teams whipping boy lose a game for them.

*Owies is still ten times the player Murphy is - so we can't be too judgmental.
Owies and 5 ouch.

I think Nicks doesn't have genuine belief in what he says still.

Ive said before that he comes across as someone who's still imitating and repeating what he's heard others say.

He hasn't quite discovered his own voice and as result doesn't really have the belief or conviction to see things through.

I think once he gets over that, there may be a coach there.

However what you see now is a coach that will fall back onto safety as a self defence mechanism as he constantly feels in danger due to a lack of true belief.
Maybe last night's game can give him that confidence.

Let's hope so at least.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Absolutely rubbish take, watching the clip it’s pretty obvious he is clapping. Just because he doesn’t get carried away when there is still a minute left on the clock , doesn’t mean he didn’t care

That was the most delayed, cant be arsed, have no interest sulk of a clap I ever seen for a team mates goal. Let alone match winning goal.

Not sure if it's come up, but I just read on DanDoesFooty melt/comments.. last night was the 12 month anniversary of Gather Rd Opening Night. So Wild!! 😃

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Good vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back