Review Good vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

How bad was Matt Owies goal attempt at the death for Carlton?

Like everyone knows he's an absolute spud but Jesus Christ that was pathetic.

We'd be furious if one of ours did that
Mchenry's miss from straight in front was equally bad.

I also recall a snap he had in the last minite against Essendon 1 or 2 years ago that missed everything.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

And for the Nicks defenders and those who claim our midfield structure in rd 5 was a plan, he caught up with King before the Melbourne game defending our midfield structure and showed him a video of what he thought we were getting wrong.

Thats not the actions of a coach who knew what the issue was, its the action of a man in denial who was dragged to the inevitable conclusion that our midfield mix sucked.
It's also miles away from where his focus should be. Why do we give a shit about what Kingy thinks? We were getting trounced. Instead of showing Kingy the tough football DVD AFC Midfield Highlight Reel to convince him what he's seeing wasn't true, he should've been worrying about how to actually get it working.

Maybe last night's game can give him that confidence.

Let's hope so at least.

I hope so too, but Adelaide cannot afford to be training up a coach like this at this point in its journey.

If he doesn't show this conviction and improvement in the next few games and we see the reactionary safety first tactics and selection, then I want him gone.

Mchenry's miss from straight in front was equally bad.

I also recall a snap he had in the last minite against Essendon 1 or 2 years ago that missed everything.

I said a similar thing in the gameday thread but I would absolutely LOVE to know what goes through Nicksy's mind when Ned drops a mark in the goal square, or misses from 25m out.

Does it frustrate him? Does it take the wind out of his sails? Does he love the hustle either way, like "good on him for getting to that spot" even if he can't execute?

Because that is Ned. In big moments that is what Ned does. You can not fault the kid's endeavour but when the chips are down that is the form he reverts to. If you pick Ned, that is what you will get more often than not. It's like hiring Rage Against The Machine to play Killing In The Name and then getting upset when they start swearing.

It boggles the mind to consider Nicksy sitting there saying the issue is that the players aren't executing, while he continues to give a gold pass to a player that is a regular culprit.

The problem isn't that he was slow to change

The problem is that he needed to change

Months of planning and preparation on a crap set up and style that doesn't work. A whole season effectively down the toilet.

They'll just get the next thing wrong
Yeah, there's massive justifiable criticisms there, and big concerns about the capabilities of the coaching group as it stands. It feels lightweight.

I just don't worry too much about what's said at press conferences - it's the equivalent of being concerned with team lineups.

I think Nicks doesn't have genuine belief in what he says still.

Ive said before that he comes across as someone who's still imitating and repeating what he's heard others say.

He reminds me of Sanderson. Asks the players how things are out on the field rather than telling them. I'm not a huge fan of that approach.

Did he really say that? Politician is a good call, even though they sometimes admit they got it wrong
Not exactly. He talked a lot about 'balance', and the line was 'shape off ball'. Here's the quote, in the context of a question about forward connection and how much they 'got it right' compared to previous weeks.
'That's that balance probably that I'm talking about. A lot of commentary around it is that we are going too slow... we felt we were a bit clunky in that area for different reasons. Sometimes its not only what you're doing with the ball, it can be sometimes your shape off ball. So we've done a lot of work in that department, but it doesn't turn around in one week. We felt last week we had a really strong game in that space and we played a team that is just as strong in the area. We didn't get the result we were after but it was a bridge game... it was a step in the right direction. Tonight it was nice to see us continue with that. The game opened up a lot more for us tonight and that's off another week of working on it, building the confidence and the trust in each other...'
At other times he did say the ability to move the ball quickly was important, just that it wasn't about going fast all the time etc. Most of the other answers were about teamwork and connection, usual coach stuff.

Fair to say it's been a garbage & hugely disappointing start to the year though there were some positive signs last week against Melbourne but from first bounce yesterday everything looked like it clicked. Even if we lost that I was walking away disappointed but pleased with what I saw.

Just a cracking game of footy, credit to both sides for never giving up or going away. Fortunately we finally broke our honorable loss hoodoo.

The Good:

Nicks - deserved every bit of heat over the first 4 weeks but deserves a quick shout out for finally not being stubborn & giving younger guys responsibility. It's poor it took so long but regardless it's finally happened and guess what? We got a win. Regardless he got the players up to bring a certain game style that suited Marvel very well yesterday & we snuck away with an extremely tough win. Finally seemed to get the balance right.

Ball movement - the most important part, it was back & suddenly our forward line didn't look a cluster f&#k & we kicked a score. Most of that comes from the way the ball is moved. Obviously it comes from players working harder to be options & the ball carrier not panicking to just dump kick it down the line or into the forward.

Soligo - 2 weeks now has had serious midfield time & hasn't disappointed. Quickly becoming one of our most important.

Rankine - Huge match, stood up in the last quarter, lots of midfield time, took marks up forward, kicked goals. Only blemish on his game was set shots but best on for me because of the damage factor.

Tex - Was hard to read whether the cliff had arrived or just injured to start year. Yesterday looked more like just getting over injury plus much better ball movement helped.

Hinge - Back to last years form, strong all day & disposal better.

Berry - Superb effort as a sub, I was big on him preseason & thought he was ok as sub last week. Turned out brilliant to come on with his strength & power at that time of the game. Probably full game next week if Crouch gets rubbed out which is likely.

Keays - Did his usual beast mode against Carlton, it's just weird how every time that happens but I'll take it.

Worrell - Best game of year for him, looked composed, mature & never took a backward step. Looked every bit a leader down back yesterday.

Crouch - Less time in midfield but I thought he was tough, clean & more attacking. Had more metres gained than all year I'd bet.

Laird - Like above, less midfield time but felt his possessions were far more impactful.

Nankervis - Again showing why most of us were baffled by his non selection. Just love what he brings, tough, finds the right spots. Looked out on his feet but never gave up.

Rachele - Not a full match of excellence but really set the tone early with a hot start.

Bad:

McHenry - Pretty much a shocker, had his opportunities to be respectable but messed them up so can't be overly positive about his game.

Fogarty - Just not in form at all, is at least trying to compete & was burned by bad delivery a couple times when he finally got on the lead but still need more from him at this point.

Jones - Wasn't a fan of his game, got a bit of ball at least but that attempt to dinky soccer kick resulting in their goal? Not good enough.

Obrien - To me it felt like he was soundly beaten, not to question the effort was there all day but his direct opponents had a lot of clearances themselves.

Ugly:

Not much, amazing game & we got the result. One of them weeks to enjoy & focus on the positives after a brutal start to the year that's more or less been depressing.

Lets hope to back that up against Essendon who could be anything from excellent to awful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair to say it's been a garbage & hugely disappointing start to the year though there were some positive signs last week against Melbourne but from first bounce yesterday everything looked like it clicked. Even if we lost that I was walking away disappointed but pleased with what I saw.

Just a cracking game of footy, credit to both sides for never giving up or going away. Fortunately we finally broke our honorable loss hoodoo.

The Good:

Nicks - deserved every bit of heat over the first 4 weeks but deserves a quick shout out for finally not being stubborn & giving younger guys responsibility. It's poor it took so long but regardless it's finally happened and guess what? We got a win. Regardless he got the players up to bring a certain game style that suited Marvel very well yesterday & we snuck away with an extremely tough win. Finally seemed to get the balance right.

Ball movement - the most important part, it was back & suddenly our forward line didn't look a cluster f&#k & we kicked a score. Most of that comes from the way the ball is moved. Obviously it comes from players working harder to be options & the ball carrier not panicking to just dump kick it down the line or into the forward.

Soligo - 2 weeks now has had serious midfield time & hasn't disappointed. Quickly becoming one of our most important.

Rankine - Huge match, stood up in the last quarter, lots of midfield time, took marks up forward, kicked goals. Only blemish on his game was set shots but best on for me because of the damage factor.

Tex - Was hard to read whether the cliff had arrived or just injured to start year. Yesterday looked more like just getting over injury plus much better ball movement helped.

Hinge - Back to last years form, strong all day & disposal better.

Berry - Superb effort as a sub, I was big on him preseason & thought he was ok as sub last week. Turned out brilliant to come on with his strength & power at that time of the game. Probably full game next week if Crouch gets rubbed out which is likely.

Keays - Did his usual beast mode against Carlton, it's just weird how every time that happens but I'll take it.

Worrell - Best game of year for him, looked composed, mature & never took a backward step. Looked every bit a leader down back yesterday.

Crouch - Less time in midfield but I thought he was tough, clean & more attacking. Had more metres gained than all year I'd bet.

Laird - Like above, less midfield time but felt his possessions were far more impactful.

Nankervis - Again showing why most of us were baffled by his non selection. Just love what he brings, tough, finds the right spots. Looked out on his feet but never gave up.

Rachele - Not a full match of excellence but really set the tone early with a hot start.

Bad:

McHenry - Pretty much a shocker, had his opportunities to be respectable but messed them up so can't be overly positive about his game.

Fogarty - Just not in form at all, is at least trying to compete & was burned by bad delivery a couple times when he finally got on the lead but still need more from him at this point.

Jones - Wasn't a fan of his game, got a bit of ball at least but that attempt to dinky soccer kick resulting in their goal? Not good enough.

Obrien - To me it felt like he was soundly beaten, not to question the effort was there all day but his direct opponents had a lot of clearances themselves.

Ugly:

Not much, amazing game & we got the result. One of them weeks to enjoy & focus on the positives after a brutal start to the year that's more or less been depressing.

Lets hope to back that up against Essendon who could be anything from excellent to awful.
Once TT comes back, Fog will start to comeback to form.

Keays best game for the club?
Some of his games as a mid in 2021 were good (34 and 2 in the win over Melbourne and 38 and 2 against North were both pretty good), but some of the big contenders would round 20, 2022 (vs Carlton) and round 5, 2023 (vs Carlton).

He does seem to have his favourite targets.

Sam Walsh had more tackles (7) in the last quarter than any of our players across the whole game (Chayce with 6)

Love the crows and hope Rankine gets the 3 votes but he played a great game coming back from injury.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Walsh is a beast really, to do that in his first game (back after injury/for the year)? Impressive. Sometimes I've found he lacks a bit of hurt factor but he's an elite player & really consistent. Definitely Walsh or Rankine for BOG. Maybe Rankine for hurt factor & 3 goals but if Walsh got the votes I wouldn't be upset.

Sam Walsh had more tackles (7) in the last quarter than any of our players across the whole game (Chayce with 6)

Love the crows and hope Rankine gets the 3 votes but he played a great game coming back from injury.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Coaches votes will be interesting too. Agree, Walsh and Rankine the 2 stand outs yesterday.

Woke up feeling too positive this morning so here is a little nitpick to get me back into my melancholy state of mind.

Keays takes the mark with 0:24 left. His oscar-winning acting buys an extra few seconds (though N Williamson, umpiring flog-in-chief, is onto him) and he doesnt kick from boot until 0:10. This is a bomb down the line. (Shut up, Kayo doesn't let you screenshot so I took a photo on my tablet).

View attachment 1958913

The drop of the ball occurs 0:08-0:07. I don't like that with 8 seconds to go, from a position like this, that we concede another F50 entry. There, i said it. Call me harsh, but that's pro sports. This isn't a complicated scenario. You may well be sore and tired but I want 8 more seconds. If Brock can death crawl a football field with Jeremy on his back then our guys can give me 10 more yards 8 more seconds.

I dont really know where the two rucks were even coming from given where the ball had been previously but since neither are there I'll ignore them.

3 players in no mans land, they may as well have stayed back in defence because they are irrelevant where they are. Then we have 3 near the contest, Tex, Fog and Rachele.

View attachment 1958919

Rachele goes up with one arm outstretched (why?). Stay down man and guard the crumbers. Tex plays like he is trying to bring the ball to ground in his F50 for crumbers to get...well mission accomplished, straight to Walsh. Fog does not contest, okay he is wrestling with Weitering but that means nothing when Weitering successfully punches it to Walsh.

Not one of them thought smashing that ball out of bounds was the play. We didnt need a mark, we needed a dead ball or a contested one. They kill that ball over the line or anywhere other than the front of the pack and Walsh's kick never makes the 50 in time. That game was ripe for a bullshit free to the Blues on the siren and I hate that we gave the umpires that opportunity.

Never in a million years with 10 seconds on the clock with your team in possession should you ever concede a F50 entry.

There, change my mind.

You're right, we've seen enough to know Nicks doesn't coach a plan for the fnal minutes in a close game.

We are clueless in these situations.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Good vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back