Review Good vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Hard to really tell from the low res picture.

But given Scholl's reaction I reckon it was touched.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
I think you can often tell by the immediate reaction of the players. In this case Sholl immediately reacted.
Bizarrely it was completely ignored and they seemed to rush to get the next bounce in.

It would be good if there was some clear evidence (there should be unless AO doesn't have the right cameras?

The level of stupidity to think it should be a free if the ball hits another player is next level.

I'm dismayed that level of thought process is prevalent in society.

How can these dimwits know that if it wasn't touched the ball may have "sat up" allowing Doedee enough time to run onto it.

We all know how a footy can bounce at odd angles.

And once again we are seeing the extremely low level of AFL "journalism", you would think one highly paid muppet would put a call into the AFL and ask "how can it be a free when the ball touched an opponent".

Really don't understand the attention a single umpiring decision gets in the last minute vs. every other minute of the game.

People do realise that 1 point is still 1 point and a goal is still 6 points no matter when it is scored?

If they are going to analyse those mistakes in detail and come out with statements that either lessen the win or anger opposition supporters who lost, then apply the same critique to every other second of the game, every wrong decision, every missed decision.

We're going to end up with games that are umpired very differently for the first 3.5 quarters than rest.

Thanks Gary for confirming the decision on the day was correct.

That's the one! Unbelievable to think that these two incidents happened IN THE SAME GAME!

1 the commentator sites this element of the rule as the only possible exemption to the free being paid, the other the same commentator completely ignores this element of the rule in his outrage!

VIC Bias in its clear and present finest

Hard to really tell from the low res picture.

But given Scholl's reaction I reckon it was touched.

He was pretty adamant and the whole team set up for a kick out despite the umpire signalling goal

I think you can often tell by the immediate reaction of the players. In this case Sholl immediately reacted.
Bizarrely it was completely ignored and they seemed to rush to get the next bounce in.

It would be good if there was some clear evidence (there should be unless AO doesn't have the right cameras?
The evidence isn't clear, umpires call. Makes it a goal.

He was pretty adamant and the whole team set up for a kick out despite the umpire signalling goal
Unfortunately the cameras aren't good enough to clearly pick it up.

You can watch F1 and see a speck of carbon fibre come off a car. Yet we can't see if a hand touches a Football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The empty seats were in big blocks
Block 1 - Back of the Southern stand (matchday sales)
Block 2 - Last bay in the Eastern stand at the southern end (matchday sales)
Block 3 - Back of the 2 end stands on the western side

It looks like next to no matchday sales have occured all year and we've consistently had an 80% show rate from members.
What do you expect when tickets go on sale 3-4 days prior
Alot of people would've made plans.
Excellent points .... it was those large blocks of empty seats that prompted the post

The process of getting tickets has been a nightmare all over Australia

Just on the crowd, Saturday twilight is the worst time for anyone involved in any sport on weekends
100%.
Add to that crowd numbers down across Australia, fatigue over the corruption of the VFL, an expected low finish and weaker team etc....it's no surprise there are vacant seats.

Bizarrely, despite all of this, the Geelong game and Melbourne game this year have been two of the best and most memorable games I've been to.

Just on the crowd, Saturday twilight is the worst time for anyone involved in any sport on weekends
I'd argue Saturday afternoon personally.

At least C grade and B grade players can make it to Saturday twilight

Also, I noticed Saturday twilight has been brought forward from some previous years. I'd umpire games at venues like Adelaide Uni and Park 9 and would make it to the AFL during the 1st, no later than 1/4 time. I was in line outside the stadium for the Richmond game last year after umpiring A grade at Adelaide University. But these 4:05 starts? I'd be lucky to even be dressed and leaving my game by 1/4 time.

Plus all the players from both sides set up for a kick in. The central umpire was then screaming at them to set up for the centre bounce.
No decision ever got sent to the scoreboard, it was just like they ran out of time to review, is their a time limit?

Plus all the players from both sides set up for a kick in. The central umpire was then screaming at them to set up for the centre bounce.
No decision ever got sent to the scoreboard, it was just like they ran out of time to review, is their a time limit?
The time limit is until play is ready to resume
So after a behind, it'd be about 10 seconds
After a goal, 30.

The annoying thing, they showed what the Victorian imbecile in the ARC back in Melbourne was looking at on the screen. Cool, the camera close up of Scholl going for the smother. And they continually show a couple of frames..............THE 2-3 FRAMES BEFORE IT WOULD'VE REACHED SCHOLL

If the idiot actually looked at the next frame or two I bet it gets overturned.

All it showed me was whoever the AFL has hired is an imbecile.

Thing is if the umpire thought it touched his hand, he would've said it and he didn't. It was delibertae, we got lucky but we got smashed early in the game. We won it was a great win.

That's right, he didn't seem to see it. But he determined that there was sufficient intent for it not to be a free kick.

So if the AFL are going to review the decision after the fact based on footage, they need to review the whole decision, not cherry pick to fit the pro Vic narrative.

Unfortunately the cameras aren't good enough to clearly pick it up.

You can watch F1 and see a speck of carbon fibre come off a car. Yet we can't see if a hand touches a Football.
Are there any rules surrounding how goals are reviewed?

"All goals are reviewed" we get told.

Ok

One look at the potentially incriminating angle but cut off the footage at the key moment. Don't revisit. View more distant cameras that are on worse angles.

Quick! Bounce the ball

If it was a Crows goal they'd still be analysing the crystal clear super slow mo high resolution footage that they magically uncovered

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Good vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back