AFL Grand Final Grand Final Jinx: What Fan Habits Keep Costing Us the Win?

Remove this Banner Ad

I did what I could to not jinx us.

In 2012 I worked along the Yarra River, and during the week (including GF week) if I saw a swan we won the game that week. If I didn't see a swan we lost. This year during GF week I went to the Swanshop pop-up store at the Melbourne Office and I saw lots of swans so I was excited. Nope it didn't work this year ☹.

At the pop-up store I purchased the 150 year scarf. For 2014, 2016 and 2022 GF I wore my 2012 Premiership scarf. So I said no way I'm wearing that scarf again at the GF and I wore the 150 year scarf instead. It didn't help either ☹.

2014 GF day I recorded all the shows on Foxtel and Channel 7 so I could watch after we won. When we didn't win I said that I jinxed us by recording them. Since that day I haven't recorded anything (except after the game has finished). My brother pointed out to me during this year that even though I didn't record the 2016 and 2022 GF we still lost. It's true but I still won't do it!
This hurts to read 😢. Preparation was 10/10 yet we come up short again!

Yeh, I was at the last 3 losing GF and I thought I definitely was the jinx, didn’t attend this last one because to tell you truly, I couldn’t take another loss, but no it’s not my fault, I am not the Jinx, but it doesn’t make me feel any better, I would of rather been jinx 🤔

When driving down for 2006 & 2016 there were people passing with their scarves out the window, DO NOT EVER HANG YOUR SCARF OUT THE WINDOW PRIOR TO THE GAME!! I saw about 10 hanging out the car windows heading down the Hume in 06, no wonder I had that massive prang that night after the 1 point loss I was still scarred by it.

When driving down for 2006 & 2016 there were people passing with their scarves out the window, DO NOT EVER HANG YOUR SCARF OUT THE WINDOW PRIOR TO THE GAME!! I saw about 10 hanging out the car windows heading down the Hume in 06, no wonder I had that massive prang that night after the 1 point loss I was still scarred by it.
I had my Swans scarfe hanging out the window driving around the South East suburbs of Melbourne. Sorry, guys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stuffed if I know where I've gone wrong..

Watched 1996 at Entertainment Centre in Melbourne

Went to the game in 2005

Watched 2006 at Swans supporter club in Kings Cross.

Watched 2012 at Walkabout in London

Watched 2014 at Malone's in Edinburgh

Watched 2016 and 2022 at home.

Watched 2024 at SCG...

Might not watch the next one at all

Love this thread!

Pretty much it's my fault - I have watched every losing grand final live 96, 06 (at the game), 14, 16, 22, 24 and missed 05 and 12 which I didn't get to watch till the next day
season 6 jay sherman GIF

Love this thread!

Pretty much it's my fault - I have watched every losing grand final live 96, 06 (at the game), 14, 16, 22, 24 and missed 05 and 12 which I didn't get to watch till the next day
I feel for you, but please watch the next swans gf on a Sunday.

It's my wife's fault. She's not a huge footy fan and in our first year of dating, I ditched her to go to the 2012 GF. She was so annoyed at how much I spent after we won. We got engaged in 2014 and bought our first house together in that year too. Since then, we've never won a GF. I'm sorry!

I met my now wife December 2012 - I did bring up the possibility of divorce during the last quarter last Saturday.
There's going to be a few divorces coming up .

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Grand Final Grand Final Jinx: What Fan Habits Keep Costing Us the Win?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back