Unofficial Preview GWS Giants v Adelaide Crows Sun 19/3/23 1.10pm AEDT (12.40pm SA time) at Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

7 at the ‘G ?

Sheesh , that’s like a dream
Think it was a Saturday night game & thought who the heck is this guy winning the game off his own boot.

Looked like a bog average player in the games I have seen him since.

We didnt ever get that so called honeymoon. It's not a certain thing that GWS improve

No, but we also did begin a full rebuild alongside a new coach.

Hard to have a honeymoon period when deep down you know the club doesn't care about winning.

I'm expecting both teams to improve significantly over their 2022 results.

GF preview? Hmm, that might be a stretch too far.
You never know. I don't think it's likely at all, but it wouldn't be the first time a side has improved from below 12th to the grand final. Surprise packets are just that, and almost every season has at least one bolter team.

GWS coach Adam Kingsley has a lot of respect for Rory Laird and won't rule out Phil Davis being fast tracked into the side due to the double threat posed by Fogarty and Walker.

"ADAM Kingsley is endeavouring to put the clamps on Adelaide gun Rory Laird in his first game as Greater Western Sydney coach and left the door ajar for veteran defender Phil Davis to make a surprise round one appearance.

Sunday's clash at Giants Stadium, in what will be Kingsley's AFL head coaching debut, looms as an incredibly even match-up on paper.

It's a Giants side looking refreshed under their new coach and still brimming with talent, opposed to a Crows outfit that won three of its final four games last year and has impressed hugely in the pre-season.

The key to that for Adelaide is usually Laird, who was unlucky not to make the All-Australian side last year after averaging 33 disposals per game, the highest rate in the competition.

Keeping him in check, with Harry Perryman the most likely option in that regard, is a priority for Kingsley.

"Certainly. We have to be smart with him," he said.

"He's won their last two best and fairests, which is a fair indicator that he's a damn good player. We'll certainly put some work into Rory. Whether that's a tag or accountability, we'll work that out. He's one player that we have to take care of, he can certainly win the game for the Crows."

Full article at the link below:

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have GWS back in the 8.
I think they'll challenge. My gut feel is that out of last year's bottom six, it's the Giants that make the yearly jump from cellar dwellars to top 8 (if it's not them, my next chance is us)

Can't see Hawks/Eagles/NM/Bombers playing finals

Laird v GWS

Round 7 2022 35 disposals 9/26 - a bit unbalanced for mine

Round 7 2021 25 disposals 9/16

Round 16 2020 28 disposals 12/16

If he can convert those handballs to kicks or non-1m handballs it could go a long way to helping the team win

I also think Kingsley has more to worry about than Laird

Laird v GWS

Round 7 2022 35 disposals 9/26 - a bit unbalanced for mine

Round 7 2021 25 disposals 9/16

Round 16 2020 28 disposals 12/16

If he can convert those handballs to kicks or non-1m handballs it could go a long way to helping the team win

I also think Kingsley has more to worry about than Laird
I reckon Lairds last 8-9 games last year put him more on notice ( pre season form this year too )

Pre that I think you’re correct

Wow, the Bureau of Meteorology (BOM or whatever they have now rebranded to) is forecasting a mostly sunny day for Parramatta this Sunday (closest official weather forecasting station to Giant Stadium, although a few km to the west) with a max of 35 degrees. Sydney, a few more km to the east is going for 31, although will be more humid. Even if we split the distance, we are playing at the hottest time of the day in a humid 33 degrees, mainly sunny, heat.

The Crows, under Darren Burgess now for a second year, are fit, and have not been afraid to do heat training. They will need to be very fit as we play a taxing, high pressure game. Reports are that GWS under new coach Kingsley are also fit. This is going to be a very interesting battle on so many fronts and in so many ways

Last edited:
GWS coach Adam Kingsley has a lot of respect for Rory Laird and won't rule out Phil Davis being fast tracked into the side due to the double threat posed by Fogarty and Walker.

"ADAM Kingsley is endeavouring to put the clamps on Adelaide gun Rory Laird in his first game as Greater Western Sydney coach and left the door ajar for veteran defender Phil Davis to make a surprise round one appearance.

Sunday's clash at Giants Stadium, in what will be Kingsley's AFL head coaching debut, looms as an incredibly even match-up on paper.

It's a Giants side looking refreshed under their new coach and still brimming with talent, opposed to a Crows outfit that won three of its final four games last year and has impressed hugely in the pre-season.

The key to that for Adelaide is usually Laird, who was unlucky not to make the All-Australian side last year after averaging 33 disposals per game, the highest rate in the competition.

Keeping him in check, with Harry Perryman the most likely option in that regard, is a priority for Kingsley.

"He's won their last two best and fairests, which is a fair indicator that he's a damn good player. We'll certainly put some work into Rory. Whether that's a tag or accountability, we'll work that out. He's one player that we have to take care of, he can certainly win the game for the Crows."

I started playing afl fantasy, first time in 5+ years and have Laird in my team.

Convinced myself other teams don't tag Laird...

Nek minnit

Last edited:

This is textbook Port/ Choco / Ken Hinkley thinking.

"Shutdown their spiritual leaders and the rest will take care of itself" type thinking.

They've traditionally tried to shutdown best mid and best forward. Sometimes its worked ok, sometimes its failed miserably. Hopefully it fails this time. I'd love to know if they will try to shutdown Tex or Fog, prolly hard to do both, could backfire if they get it wrong. Hopefully this also leaves the door ajar for a few lesser known (and not so lesser known) spiritual leaders to bob up, someone like a Berry or perhaps a Sloaney, or an out of the blue from say Rankine or Rachele. It would be great if Dawson tore them apart too.

This is textbook Port/ Choco / Ken Hinkley thinking.

"Shutdown their spiritual leaders and the rest will take care of itself" type thinking.

They've traditionally tried to shutdown best mid and best forward. Sometimes its worked ok, sometimes its failed miserably. Hopefully it fails this time. I'd love to know if they will try to shutdown Tex or Fog, prolly hard to do both, could backfire if they get it wrong. Hopefully this also leaves the door ajar for a few lesser known (and not so lesser known) spiritual leaders to bob up, someone like a Berry or perhaps a Sloaney, or an out of the blue from say Rankine or Rachele. It would be great if Dawson tore them apart too.
Whoever gets Sam Taylor is going to have a tough battle on their hands.
The other may get off the leash.
IF Davis is picked surely he gets Tex and Fog cops Taylor.

Remove this Banner Ad

Unofficial Preview GWS Giants v Adelaide Crows Sun 19/3/23 1.10pm AEDT (12.40pm SA time) at Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back