Hawk Draftees

Remove this Banner Ad

May 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Its unbelievable to think we haven't got many more draftees to get a run. if indeed Muston gets a run this week all we will really have left, besides the 2008 crop, is Max Bailey pick 18 in 2005.

Actually as I look back over the years, the Hawks have drafted very well.
Did you know all our 2007 picks are also regulars in 2009 (Whitecross, Rioli, Dew), Only Mitch Thorp, and Josh Kennedy are the standouts yet to really cerment a spot.

is there anyone else that im forgetting besides Shiels, Lowden, Savage, Lisle?

I just has a quick look at the last 5 drafts. We have drafted 25 players, 23 of which are still on our list, 1 now on the Rookie list (Moss) and one delisted (Little).
After this weekend (assuming Muston plays) 21 of the 25 would have played for Hawthorn, with the 4 that haven't all coming from the last draft.
This is an amazing strike rate for drafting at the moment. If Thorp, Muston and Bailey all go on with their careers our drafting will have been near flawless.

2008 -
16 - Ryan Schoenmakers - Few games early on, good signs.
34 - Liam Shiels - Don't know how he slipped this far, looks very good.
52 - Jordan Lisle - Was seen as a top 20 pick by some, somehow slipped to 52. Lacks pace, but hopefully makes it.
63 - Luke Lowden - Expected to end up massively tall, project player, will be a while.
75 - Shane Savage - Don't know much.
2007 -
12 - Cyril Riolo - Superstar
29 - Brendan Whitecross - Starting to show plenty.
45 - Stuart Dew - big part of premiership
2006 -
6 - Thorp - well, we're waiting. Needs to get his body right
24 - Renouf - Good upcoming athletic ruckman. Good to have a different type of ruckman.
33 - Jarryd Morton - has shown us plenty.
40 - Josh Kennedy - Lacks pace, but hard at it.
56 - Garry Moss - Been great this year, very smart footballer. (now Rookie)
2005 -
3 - Xavier Ellis - Class, great in the GF, can't wait to get him back
6 - Beau Dowler - Starting to show a bit. Could be a very useful tall utility.
14 - Grant Birchall - Great from the start.
18 - Max Bailey - Lets hope his knee comes good this year.
22 - Beau Muston - Finally gets a go this year. Highly rated.
38 - Travis Tuck - Very hard at it, great midfield depth player.
2 - Jarryd Roughead - Superstar
5 - Lance Franklin - Superstar
7 - Jordan Lewis - Gun
21 - Thomas Murphy - Improving backman, done some good jobs this year.
26 - Matthew Little - Showed some good signs at VFL level, now delisted.
53 - Simon Taylor - Gets better every year, value at pick 53.

Great post, Buddy and the Hawk.

2005 was looking like a black hole for us until this year - and the jury's still out a bit until the two Beaus prove they can play at AFL level (fingers crossed though).

But 2004 - has there ever been a better draft for any club? 2 out and out stars (nearly 3, with lewis) and a couple of other solid senior players.

The tough question will be, especially if Muston can play well, which 3 are gonna have to try their luck elsewhere next year?

Tough Question. especially if we plan to upgrade Moss and or Stokes. I'd expect Boyle is gone. May have to make a trade or two. depending how the coaching staff see his progression thorp may come under pressure, Mc Glynn?

Great post, Buddy and the Hawk.

2005 was looking like a black hole for us until this year - and the jury's still out a bit until the two Beaus prove they can play at AFL level (fingers crossed though).

But 2004 - has there ever been a better draft for any club? 2 out and out stars (nearly 3, with lewis) and a couple of other solid senior players.

Yes, there was. 3 years earlier :)

2001 AFL Draft

1 - Luke Hodge
16 - Rick Ladson
20 - Daniel Elstone (delisted)
32 - Campbell Brown
36 - Sam Mitchell
48 - Simon Cox (delisted)

Hello! :thumbsu:

The tough question will be, especially if Muston can play well, which 3 are gonna have to try their luck elsewhere next year?
Hadn't thought about this, and looking at the list, near impossible.
Looks likely that Boyle's time has probably come, maybe Kennedy? Plenty of pressure on anyone who has been on the list a few years and hasn't shown a bit. Could be a few trades for picks when GC enter the comp.

Tough Question. especially if we plan to upgrade Moss and or Stokes. I'd expect Boyle is gone. May have to make a trade or two. depending how the coaching staff see his progression thorp may come under pressure, Mc Glynn?
Regarding Moss, I've asked this question before, but haven't had a reply: Does he HAVE to be reinstated on our list next year or can he have another year on the Rookie list?

Jury out on 2006 for mine.

Good question above from MuzzHawk - who the hell gets delisted or traded this year to enable us to use the three compulsory picks in the draft?

Tim Boyle is the most obvious candidate, but who would the other two be?

I would promote Moss & Stokes. I do however think Moss can be re-rookied if we chose that path. Croad can be added to the Vets list I think so this would mean we need to delist/Trade 4 (to get three picks). My candidates:-

Boyle- Would be delisted
Kennedy- Would be delisted
Taylor- Would probably get an upgraded selection
McGlynn- Maybe get a selection. Or selection upgrade.

Thats my opinion on the matter. People may disagree with me on MM but he is the 4th most likely player to get offloaded. Taking into account potential, and a needs basis on our list.

I'm not so sure stokes is ahead of mcglynn, or if morton is ahead of mcglynn either.
In any case choosing who to delist is going to be very tough. Literally everyone we have can play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok ban me.

Delist: Boyle, Morton, Kennedy. Done.
I would persist with K3 great in close imo would agree with the other 2 based on what the Clubs thinks is best for the HFC going forward Fact we cant keep them all!

You all realise that if we don't talk about who is going to get delisted, it doesn't mean that it somehow magically won't happen? You know we HAVE to delist three players, regardless of whether some people on the net have discussed it or not?

You don't think the club has already told a few that they're gone at the end of the year unless things change? Because you can be fairly certain they have...it's all part of player welfare, believe it or not...get them ready for life after football.

This taboo about thinking about delistings is pretty naive.

Boyle, Kennedy and Morton most likely

I think we will stick with Morton, he brings a lot of intangibles to the table. Cant see who else we would drop, extremely tough call.

I would persist with K3 great in close imo would agree with the other 2 based on what the Clubs thinks is best for the HFC going forward Fact we cant keep them all!

Too slow. Not enough skill. He is great in close, but we are entering a period of dominance (hopefully), he isn't good enough to be in our midfield. Good kid though.

Not that I'm going to mock any ones predictions of delistings, because it is hard. Morton is way off the mark. The kid will be a very important part of our future. Can run all day, good mark and can kick goals when at his best. Andrew Embley type. We need him to establish himself and this is only his third year.

Aren't we still required to use 3 National Picks regardless?

Given we are risking whoever we delist to re-pick, who will cause us the least damage if we lose them?

Kennedy? Boyle? Dew?

These guys will waltz into other sides no problems. Even if they or anyone else doesn't make it here...they have enough talent to provide good support at other clubs.

It's a necessary evil.

You all realise that if we don't talk about who is going to get delisted, it doesn't mean that it somehow magically won't happen? You know we HAVE to delist three players, regardless of whether some people on the net have discussed it or not?

You don't think the club has already told a few that they're gone at the end of the year unless things change? Because you can be fairly certain they have...it's all part of player welfare, believe it or not...get them ready for life after football.

For the same reason that players like Premiership players such as Brad Sewell, Rick Ladson, Mark Williams, etc, etc were discusssed as delistings on many occasions on this board: that it may be premature ?

These posts are fascinating bumps somewhere in the future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawk Draftees

Remove this Banner Ad

Back