News Hawks sign NZ Youngsters

Remove this Banner Ad

I noticed there is a Rioli that kicked 4 goals, I wonder if he is a relation to our Cyril

What position does Kurt Heatherley play and when can we draft him?

Eligible to be pre-listed at the end of 2013.

Personally i would classify him as a utility, at the moment. He has played down back, on the ball, and up forward- perhaps not as much with Caulfield-where he has played forward a lot (it seems), but definitely at representative level with the South Pacific team in the national carnival last year- which is where i have seen him play.

Just wondering since there are no VFL games this week, is there any information on how I could go and watch Kurt in action?
Not only does he go to my former High School but he's a Hawk so I would be keen to see him play.

I think this week Caulfiled Grammar are playing Brighton Grammar @ Brighton on Saturday May 26th.
Any information on the time of the game?

Would be great if some of the Melbourne based BF members could get along and see young Kurt play and report back on how he is going.

Would be great if some of the Melbourne based BF members could get along and see young Kurt play and report back on how he is going.

Have only seen him on the training track. Decent size, impressive speed and agility, the rest is a work in progress.

These kids are starting from a long way back. Wish him well but it is hard to teach a kiwi anything.

Saw him play in the BHH vs. AIS u/18 game and he has a lot to work with. Tall, athletic and big for his age. Seems to needs more endurance as he was the first player cramping.

Played as a KPD and did well. Read the ball well and competed strongly and effectively. Won more contests then he lost if my memory serves me correctly.

Saw him play in the BHH vs. AIS u/18 game and he has a lot to work with. Tall, athletic and big for his age. Seems to needs more endurance as he was the first player cramping.

Played as a KPD and did well. Read the ball well and competed strongly and effectively. Won more contests then he lost if my memory serves me correctly.

Thanks for the update Sav. Kurt is the guy I'm most interested in. He is an elite athlete and to gave up so much in NZ (he was expected to be a future Rugby/basketball star) and committ himself fully to AFL, he will be one to really watch.

He was touted with a reputation of being one of the best athletes, along with superb hand eye coordination in a number of sports. I reckon he is coming along nicely and will eventually be picked up by the club (barring any serious setbacks, which we all hope will not happen). Huge upside and personally, I think will turn out to be an excellent pick up...for nothing.

Tatupu named in the best in the South Pacific's first game at the NAB U16 Nationals in Sydney this week.

WA NW 6.1 12.7 17.12 20.16 (136)
defeated
South Pacific 1.1 3.3 5.5 7.7 (49)

Goals
WA NW: Gore 5, Dunn 4, McAdam 3, Ansey 3, Powell 2, Watson, Evans, Pascoe
South Pacific: Savere 2, Havea 2, Frew, Riddell, Johnson

Best
WA NW: Featonby, Hughes, Powell, Razali, D.Cox, Lindberg, Z. Cox, Sheen
South Pacific: Tirang, Tatupu, Riddell, Peni, Johnson, Miller.

7150763311_67ce2f0ca3_m.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shem in the best for South Pacific again today and kicked two goals.

South Pacific 2.2 7.6 10.19 16.14 (110) defeated
Flying Boomerangs 3.0 6.2 10.3 11.3 (69)

Goals
South Pacific: Havea 6, Savere 3, Tatupu 2, Taaiwalu 2, Eoe, Messenger, Johnson
Flying Boomerangs: Howard 2, Dhamarrandji 2, Gresham 2, McKenzie 2, Winmar, Hill, Bennell

Best:
South Pacific: Rai, Tatupu, Messenger, Savere, Havea, Macca, Panui-Leth
Flying Boomerangs: Cubby, Mason, Davis, Ah Chee, Morrison, Gresham

Shem in the best for South Pacific again today and kicked two goals.

South Pacific 2.2 7.6 10.19 16.14 (110) defeated
Flying Boomerangs 3.0 6.2 10.3 11.3 (69)

Goals
South Pacific: Havea 6, Savere 3, Tatupu 2, Taaiwalu 2, Eoe, Messenger, Johnson
Flying Boomerangs: Howard 2, Dhamarrandji 2, Gresham 2, McKenzie 2, Winmar, Hill, Bennell

Best:
South Pacific: Rai, Tatupu, Messenger, Savere, Havea, Macca, Panui-Leth
Flying Boomerangs: Cubby, Mason, Davis, Ah Chee, Morrison, Gresham

Isnt Panui-Leth also one of our guys?

Wow! Can't believe that we could prise him away from rugby with those skills!
I don't know if there is any certainty we are prising him (or others, although I would say Kurt is pretty committed being at school here) away, just offering an alternative at this stage. Being involved in footy is also a big help to their kicking and keeping them fit as footy is generally played in summer in NZ, rugby in winter.

Have confirmed that Kurt is not playing in Sydney - as they feel he is better off being with his school, TAC and Hawthorn footy at the moment. South Pacific are not playing against state sides, just the Flying Boomerangs and NW WA so that may have influenced this decision.

I don't know if there is any certainty we are prising him (or others, although I would say Kurt is pretty committed being at school here) away, just offering an alternative at this stage. Being involved in footy is also a big help to their kicking and keeping them fit as footy is generally played in summer in NZ, rugby in winter.
It sounds like Miller is not exactly a star for his school and that the school rested the regular full back against what was obviously a weak opposition. Must have something going for him though!

Remove this Banner Ad

News Hawks sign NZ Youngsters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back