Preview Round 16, 2024: Hawthorn v West Coast Eagles, 30 June 2024 (Sun), 4:40pm @ Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playing a game at 2pm Melbourne time in Perth means the game would start at 12pm local time. The AFL wants the Perth teams to play home games on Sunday afternoon at 2.40pm AWST means that we'll have to put up with a 4.40pm start time in Melbourne.

I don't know why the AFL don't schedule WCE/FREO for more 7:40/9:40EST.

I would love late night footy

Playing a game at 2pm Melbourne time in Perth means the game would start at 12pm local time. The AFL wants the Perth teams to play home games on Sunday afternoon at 2.40pm AWST means that we'll have to put up with a 4.40pm start time in Melbourne.

I know, it just shits me, that out of the three bottom teams last year, we are the ones that gets shafted with poor viewing time slots, despite looking the most improved last year.

That's some serious asshattery from the AFL. There's no way North is a bigger TV draw than us against pretty much anyone.

I remember 2015 when Carlton, was on the bottom, think they had something like 7 Friday night games. I think even Carlton fans were begging for it to stop, so they didn’t have to see how shite they were. While we were back to back premiers and in the H&A only had 4. 1 of which was against Carlton which we won by nearly 140 points…

What did he say was sinister about it?

Sam on SEN said that their plan to help get Breust over his groin issues was carrying his as a sub, and then look at the bye and Perth trip as a time to give him a doubles week rest, hopefully to look to get him to full minutes after that.
makes sense to me...I thought the bye might be an opportunity to give him two weeks off

Last training at Waverley before they fly to WA.

No Ward or Serong in the main training today.
Bumped into Timmy at the end of the training, and he mentioned that Harry is the most likely sub and Finn will be the travelling emergency.

Excited to see Will McCabe in the match sims.
Hardwick playing defence in the match sims but off course it is not an indication if he will play mostly in defence against WC.

Wiz having a few goalkicking session with Sam and Gunners.

1719544260030.jpeg

View attachment IMG_2587.MOV

It is a close run thing. All three have been good.
For me, Finn still has to have a run with role in the AFL or play with Box Hill. I have loved his development in the VFL as an inside and then free running mid and seen his growth as a player. I have seen him hit a few good targets by foot (he is getting better) but he still misses too many for the AFL. A cheeky thing would be to put him on Harley. That would be fun.
Harry does few things wrong and links well.
Ward has greatly improved at Box Hill. His production has been top notch. And he is hitting targets. He looks like he could become a bull, but is not there yet.

My head says Ward, my heart says H, but my schadenfreude-loving side says, let Finn go after Harley.
Finn gonna ride the Harley this weekend

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last training at Waverley before they fly to WA.

No Ward or Serong in the main training today.
Bumped into Timmy at the end of the training, and he mentioned that Harry is the most likely sub and Finn will be the travelling emergency.

Excited to see Will McCabe in the match sims.
Hardwick playing defence in the match sims but off course it is not an indication if he will play mostly in defence against WC.

Wiz having a few goalkicking session with Sam and Gunners.
Thanks Pinoy.

Appreciate your updates. I wish could get to training every week :)

Hope it's Ward that comes into the team. I'm not sure who would be sub though. Maybe CJ? Maybe Gunston, with Hardwick playing forward?
Morrison and Ramma have both been listed as emergencies in the last couple games before the bye, but of those two only Morrison has been named this time. I also think Morrison would add the most in terms of leadership on the bench, a quality of Breust as sub that Sam mentioned on radio today that is very valuable to the team.

So I reckon Morrison probably most likely to be the sub.

Sam also pretty coy when questioned about Finn tag on Reid (SEN and club presser this morning). Potential late change there if he makes the trip.

Norf with another prime Saturday fixture and we're stick in the dead zone

They play at 1:45pm on Saturday for pretty much the next 6 weeks straight? That's actually the coldest fixturing spot that exists.

All over Australia a massive percentage of footy fans are fixated on their local side at 2pm every Saturday.

I'd wager that early Saturday spot is one of the lowest drawing TV slots every weekend.

They play at 1:45pm on Saturday for pretty much the next 6 weeks straight? That's actually the coldest fixturing spot that exists.

All over Australia a massive percentage of footy fans are fixated on their local side at 2pm every Saturday.

I'd wager that early Saturday spot is one of the lowest drawing TV slots every weekend.
I give no shits about local footy. Hate the thing.

I care about prime Saturday arvo games. Especially at the G. God's fixture.

Sad we're all about the TV now

I remember 2015 when Carlton, was on the bottom, think they had something like 7 Friday night games. I think even Carlton fans were begging for it to stop, so they didn’t have to see how shite they were. While we were back to back premiers and in the H&A only had 4. 1 of which was against Carlton which we won by nearly 140 points…

Yep - they lost by Rd1 - 27, Rd 2 - 69, Rd 5 - 75, Rd 8 - 77, Rd 9 - 60, Rd 17 - 138 (yours truly).

How they ever got scheduled 5 of the first 9 rounds prime time is actually ridiculous in an 18 team comp.

Foxtel twilight games are their new marquee time slot according to them.

I don't know why the AFL don't schedule WCE/FREO for more 7:40/9:40EST.

I would love late night footy
Prime time for advertising is 7pm to 10.30pm.

Anything after that time and the eyeballs of most are being switched off. Hence advertising revenue drops dramatically.

It’s the broadcasters who demand that the games finish early enough so they can sell prime time advertising throughout.

ROUND 16 TEAM
Hawthorn v West Coast
Sunday 30 June
Optus Stadium, 2.40pm AWST / 4.40pm AEST

B:
Jarman Impey, Sam Frost, Jack Scrimshaw
HB: Karl Amon, James Sicily, Will Day
C: Harry Morrison, James Worpel, Dylan Moore
HF: Massimo D'Ambrosio, Jack Gunston, Calsher Dear
F: Jack Ginnivan, Mabior Chol, Blake Hardwick
R: Lloyd Meek, Jai Newcombe, Changkuoth Jiath

INT: Josh Weddle, Conor Nash, Cam Mackenzie, Nick Watson, Connor Macdonald

EMER: Finn Maginness, Josh Ward, Jai Serong

Didn't they used to have late night WACA games?
They did. Last game we played at the WACA was a Saturday night game in 1999 and was a ripper too. WCE got off to a flyer and we were down by as much as 6 goals at one stage until a Crawford led comeback and we won by 2 points.

Before you ask, no I don't have a photographic memory. :) Your question triggered a memory so I did a little digging after checking the head to head vs WCE then this awesome video filled in the rest. What a game that was!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back