Analysis Hawthorn rebuild: are they tanking?

Should Hawks Be Punished?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting what some minds find amusing. Plenty of time on your hands to write that creative piece of writing as a response to something that was pretty straight forward.

Yes I am going to double down on judging foolishness on the nebulous/ambiguous trivial concept of when the Hawks tanking began, something that based on this thread even Hawthorn fans between themselves can't agree on.

Like I said Hawthorn fans can believe the rebuild started this year for all I care, all I know for a fact is that Hawthorn has been struggling down the bottom of the ladder for close to a decade and now are finally clawing themselves out of that hole. Well done for finally putting to good use all the top tier talent handed to you in that time.

The silly part of the whole "I don't care when the rebuild started" narrative is that you were the one to raise it in this thread.

In terms of "struggling at the bottom for a decade" - a decade ago Hawthorn were half way through their threepeat. Even since the threepeat, Hawthorn have finished top 4 ('16 and '18) more times than they've finished bottom 4 ('22).

Now we're on the way back up again.

This is how Hawthorn have gone about it for a long time. Some teams like yours might be up there in the top half year in year out consistently. It's commendable - but it has not been any more successful. Hawthorn, on the other hand, tend to have periods up the top and periods out of finals. Thing is, when we do come good - we tend to come good properly and capitalise on our up periods, usually winning one (or multiple) flags. That's why we've remained the most successful club over the last 50 - 100 years

Interesting what some minds find amusing. Plenty of time on your hands to write that creative piece of writing as a response to something that was pretty straight forward.

Yes I am going to double down on judging foolishness on the nebulous/ambiguous trivial concept of when the Hawks tanking began, something that based on this thread even Hawthorn fans between themselves can't agree on.

Like I said Hawthorn fans can believe the rebuild started this year for all I care, all I know for a fact is that Hawthorn has been struggling down the bottom of the ladder for close to a decade and now are finally clawing themselves out of that hole. Well done for finally putting to good use all the top tier talent handed to you in that time.
...4 years, 10 years. Same thing right?

Counting is hard.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240816_204906_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20240816_204906_Firefox.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 27
egg on your face champ..

ive put my hand up and said I got it wrong but you want to act like a 12 year old saying "look mummy, I was right" when so much other stuff has happened since this comment was made

good on you my man. good for you

You should work for the H/Sun captain click bait.

By the end of this weekend Hawthorn would have played 30% of their games against the bottom 4 teams. No other team played North, Richmond and Adelaide twice.

#fraudthorn
Yeah, its almost like a fixture is made at the start of the season, so bottom 4 teams play previous bottom 4 teams

Oh wait, Adelaide finished 1 game out of the 8 last season

Muppet

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By the end of this weekend Hawthorn would have played 35% of their games against the bottom 5 teams. No other team played North, Richmond and Adelaide twice.

#fraudthorn

We had the 5th hardest fixture based off of what we knew in November 2023. Not very nice given we finished bottom 4.

By the end of this weekend Hawthorn would have played 35% of their games against the bottom 5 teams. No other team played North, Richmond and Adelaide twice.

#fraudthorn
Amazing thought process.

Guess what happens when Richmond and Crows lose both games to the Hawks?

I’ll give you a tip, they don’t get 4pts.

#fraudthorn

It really is a pity our tanking for Harley Reid hasn't helped us and kept us anchored to the bottom of the ladder. I'm sure there's a lesson about culture in there 😞

Bottom 6 teams should always double up against the other 5 bottom 6 teams the following year. That makes 22 games.
With gather round that allows for another 'rivalry' game, such as Hawthorn v Geelong

Hawthorn should not have faced GWS, Geelong, Adelaide and Collingwood twice. That's a 2 middle 6 and 2 top 6 team from 2023

So the fixture was too hard for Hawthorn as others have mentioned

Does it allow for 13th/14th ranked sides to shoot up the ladder? Possibly but whats wrong with that?

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Hawthorn rebuild: are they tanking?

Back