• One more round

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • During their bye

Votes: 76 61.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And Richmond arguably wouldn’t have won any if the finals series wasn’t compromised and the 2017 Grand Final was played in Adelaide.

The AFL is in a general recession, and Richmond are currently leveraging a compatible game plan. They aren’t paragons of list management, as indicated by their paper thin midfield, which was shown up by Collingwood in the prelim and will continue to be exposed in big games while Richmond are still so reliant on Martin getting them going.

Hey champ, your posts are so full of internal contradictions and logic problems that it's hard to know where to start in critiquing them.
Please give up. You're embarrassing yourself. The Tigers are the most powerful club in Australia; as a blueprint, i'd say that's a pretty good place to start.
And remember, jealousy is a decidedly unattractive quality.
(You seem obsessed with Richmond, maybe you should consider switching allegiance, yeah?)

Do I win anything?

Last edited:
Richmond are currently playing on bravado, and maximising a slow decline in the overall standard of the game, relying on a game style that thrives on mess in their front half. When they are seriously challenged by a strong midfield, which is the way the comp is trending, they fold like a cheap suit. They peaked in 2017 when they won a compromised flag, which is why I don’t really see them as a yardstick for the competition.

Now they’ve sunk their cap on a 2nd string key forward, despite having a clear need for another A-grade midfielder. (And Coniglio would have been perfect)

Last edited:
All those players were free hits and cost the club nothing. 1 year contracts were used so they can be replaced by high draft picks, this actually benefited the club because we could move out deadweight faster.

The big question is the skills and development of draftees looks way off.

free hits that cost the club nothing??? how about the missed opportunity of drafting hungry state league players or other hungry young players. every other club places great importance on every list spot. just from the last 2-3 years rioli(wce), mihocek, marshall(stk), baker(tiges), zurhar, henry, mcinerney, cousins parker....so many examples of players picked up very late in the draft or in the rookie draft. all were available for sos to pickup. No other club treated late picks as free hits that cost nothing. only carlton. bcos they just presumed their kids will come good. its no wonder they arent improving when they give these piss poor excuses. worse still the fans go along with it. they dont hold sos accountable for preferring to recruit his favourite rejects. they think all their early picks are just gonna automatically be good senior players. doesnt work that way.

Richmond are currently playing on bravado, and maximising a slow decline in the overall standard of the game, relying on a game style that thrives on mess in their front half. When they are seriously challenged by a strong midfield, which is the way the comp is trending, they fold like a cheap suit.

Richmond peaked in 2017 when they won a compromised flag, which is why I don’t really see them as a yardstick for the competition.

Now they’ve sunk their cap on a 2nd string key forward, despite having a clear need for another A-grade midfielder. (And Coniglio would have been perfect)

You may have been distracted and missed the news. We have Kouta Mk II.

Lyon compares youngster to Koutoufides

I rate Stack, but Walsh has been better so far this year and has easily justified being taken first.

Ok, Just sticking to the premiership and minor premiership seasons; I think the list management was a bit better than what your giving it credit for:

6 Grigg, Shaun 29y 164d 192 (98-2-92 51.56%)
14 Houli, Bachar 29y 141d 170 (86-3-81 51.47%)
10 Edwards, Shane 28y 340d 207 (94-5-108 46.62%)
8 Riewoldt, Jack 28y 334d 225 (105-4-116 47.56%)
9 Cotchin, Trent 27y 176d 198 (101-2-95 51.52%)
18 Rance, Alex 27y 356d 175 (86-2-87 49.71%)
12 Astbury, David 26y 216d 85 (38-2-45 45.88%)
2 Grimes, Dylan 26y 76d 104 (61-0-43 58.65%)
4 Martin, Dustin 26y 96d 178 (90-2-86 51.12%)
22 Caddy, Josh 25y 2d 117 (68-1-48 58.55%)
23 Lambert, Kane 25y 308d 52 (31-0-21 59.62%)
35 Broad, Nathan 24y 168d 12 (10-0-2 83.33%)
5 Ellis, Brandon 24y 58d 135 (76-1-58 56.67%
3 Prestia, Dion 24y 353d 117 (43-0-74 36.75%)
21 Townsend, Jacob 24y 102d 37 (11-0-26 29.73%)
33 McIntosh, Kamdyn 23y 180d 53 (33-0-20 62.26%)
25 Nankervis, Toby 23y 49d 36 (25-0-11 69.44%)
1 Vlastuin, Nick 23y 164d 96 (56-0-40 58.33%)
40 Butler, Dan 21y 119d 23 (17-0-6 73.91%)
46 Castagna, Jason 21y 80d 30 (19-0-11 63.33%)
17 Rioli, Daniel 20y 167d 43 (24-0-19 55.81%)
34 Graham, Jack 19y 217d 5 (5-0-0 100.00%)

Role players are important, we cant all have 20 first round draft picks in the team like your mob. Not only was much of the side made up of trades, late national and rookie draft picks was (is) also a very young team with improvement left in it.

"couldn’t even make the Grand Final" They are not easy to make, Collingwood is a quality team as they are again proving this season.
iirc:

19 - top 4, 6-3
18 - minor premiership
17 - premiership
16 - (fail)
15 - finals
14 - finals
13 - finals

Welcome to every 6’3 midfielder with any discernible athleticism drafted in the past decade

Balta is bigger than that :)

There is also Stack, RCD, Ross etc.

Im pretty comfortable with Tom Lynch and developing the next midfield teir from within

I for one am shocked that the best team in the comp smashed the worst team in the comp.

Shocked I tell you.

In Hardwick's first year he debuted Dea (18), Taylor (18), Griffiths (18), Martin (18), Hicks (18), Grimes (19), Astbury (19), Nason (20), Gourdis (21), Webberley (21), O'Reilly (Irishman 22) ... and Relton (24). Plus Mitch Farmer (21) from Port.

Most of those players fell by the wayside, but Hardwick took his lumps and taught the group to play and not worry about the scoreboard. In three years they went from "worse than Fitzroy" to finals-bound.

Carlton didn't take the pain they should have in 2016.

Maybe, but I'd argue the players on that list were on average a bit better than the youngsters at Carlton's disposal in 2016. And also that Richmond were never as bad as Carlton have been during their down times, let alone "worse than Fitzroy".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can see the writing on the wall.

Sacking a coach halfway through the season wont be beneficial to anyone. Think about it though, nobody has been succsefull in recent seasons while they have been so bad. They have had so many high draft picks, why have they failed so badly? It can't always fall on the Coach. There has got to be more answers, a deeper look.

Out of the team that played on Sunday of whom I reckon would get a game at Essendon as a walk up start.

McKay
Walsh
Cripps

Thats it, I think SOS is their list manager, surely he has something to answer for, I dunno?

I dont like seeing clubs down, nor kicking them while they're down, unless you're North Melbourne. It would be good for footy if Carlton were up and about. I sincerely hope they get back to the powerhouse they once were.

Bolton takes over, and 3 and a half years down the track Carlton are worse than they've ever been in their entire history.
This is one of the times when more nuanced discussion isn't required. He needs to go.

Full credit for his salesmanship though. He'll get 4 years out of "green shoots" and telling his fan base not to judge him on results.

Bolton takes over, and 3 and a half years down the track Carlton are worse than they've ever been in their entire history.
This is one of the times when more nuanced discussion isn't required. He needs to go.

Full credit for his salesmanship though. He'll get 4 years out of "green shoots" and telling his fan base not to judge him on results.

Or the spin you get from their supporters that the rebuild is done and now they are just developing.

If you asked me a week ago I would have said you'd be crazy to axe him.

But that yesterday.....gee whiz that was bad. Not so sure about Bolton now.

Richmond are currently playing on bravado, and maximising a slow decline in the overall standard of the game, relying on a game style that thrives on mess in their front half. When they are seriously challenged by a strong midfield, which is the way the comp is trending, they fold like a cheap suit. They peaked in 2017 when they won a compromised flag, which is why I don’t really see them as a yardstick for the competition.

You must be advising Carlton on how to make a good team then. That's how I read your knowledge of the game.......

Congratulations on your wonderful accomplishments so far.

He’s copping the heat for what was a whole club policy of cutting to the bone and rebuilding. Hard to avoid being awful when you do that.

That said, I don’t think the brutal list turnover has done them many favours.

If you're going to be a campaigner about it, there's no point even having a discussion.

Ok ok left field selection....

James Hird.

Who suggested Hird as coach? I certainly wouldn’t.

You’re the one suggesting Knights. Absolutely laughable. He was totally incompetent strategically. Probably why he makes a decent assistant, where he’s just implementing what he’s told to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back