I don't think we should've got Burgoyne. (again)

Remove this Banner Ad

You can almost argue that Burgoyne won us the flag this year...

I am referring to the Prelim Final vs Cats... If we didn't have Burgoyne that night we wouldn't have won..hence no Grand Final and no 2013 premiership! ;)

I would rather this than a good pick #9 who never would have played in a premiership..or ended up like Thorpe, Dowler..or Muston

In all fairness there were a few people questioning the trade and it may have been due to misunderstanding him as a player (not having seen him much at Port). I know many people (myself included) who thought he would be a 30 plus mid who was a goal kicker. The reaction in his first year at the club was one of disappointment more than criticism but based purely on expectations. There was also a query on his knees and I think it was Walls that wrote an article that he thought Burger was shot (may have been more recent). Anyway, all history now and we all make bad calls which we regret in hindsight. Club should frame and sell that pic. It is the moment of the 2013 finals series and one that will stick in people's memories for a long, long time.

I wouldn't mind a Kane Lucas at Hawthorn he would be a star.

You cannot be serious, Kane Lucas has no outstanding attributes and has 2 significant flaws which will always hold him back. He can't tackle to save himself, players run past him easily and break free of his insipid attempts regularly. He also is very soft/scared of contact, there are players that play football like their life depends on it (Hodge, Lewis, Hayes etc) and players that play not to get hurt (Lucas, Fiora etc).

Until I see him put his body on the line just once or do the team thing instead of running around packs and waiting for a cheap handball I will think nothing more of him as I've watched him too many times shirk a contest. Ask many Carlton fans what they think of Lucas and many will say the same thing about his lack of love for a contest.

It may sound harsh but that's my honest assessment of him as a footballer.

You cannot be serious, Kane Lucas has no outstanding attributes and has 2 significant flaws which will always hold him back. He can't tackle to save himself, players run past him easily and break free of his insipid attempts regularly. He also is very soft/scared of contact, there are players that play football like their life depends on it (Hodge, Lewis, Hayes etc) and players that play not to get hurt (Lucas, Fiora etc).

Until I see him put his body on the line just once or do the team thing instead of running around packs and waiting for a cheap handball I will think nothing more of him as I've watched him too many times shirk a contest. Ask many Carlton fans what they think of Lucas and many will say the same thing about his lack of love for a contest.

It may sound harsh but that's my honest assessment of him as a footballer.

I think he prefers Kane Lucas to Burgoyne!

;)

Was so unbelievably happy when we recruited him! Remember yelling with joy when it was confirmed. Automatically became my 3rd favorite player (behind Hodge and Rioli). His skill and hardness... I just love it.

Love his shirt front on the Port player then the hit on Boak who came in to remonstrate haha Just TOUGH and AWESOME!!!

Bloody so happy we have him in our team!

Hodgepodge has a fascination with young players and thinks potential is more important than established players. We were in premiership mode this year and he kept wanting to play young players for the sake of it. I know they need development and games but we had a goal this year and we accomplished it.

Our young players will get their go when they're ready and it's right for the team. I hope Hallahan can get games next year, he deserves it with his form this year. However, just always wanting to play the kids isn't right, we aren't in a rebuild stage.

As for The Burgoyne argument, this established player over potential has been a masterstroke by the coaching panel, as has the recruitment of Gibson, Hale, Gunston & Lake. Our club have seen the benefits of going for established players to fill holes over going for potential and it's worked wonderfully.

There will come a time where we will have to change our mindset but whilst we have been a premiership contender we had to make these big decisions and I'm just so glad the club had the balls to make them.

AAAFOOTYextraESXTRA-20130920223445889155-600x400.jpg

If anyone had any doubts over the wisdom of recruiting Burgoyne, I suggest you have a look at the last quarter of the 2013 preliminary final. Burgoyne was the difference.
Love that photo so much!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This isn't because of yesterday's result, and I acknowledge Burgoyne's contribution. Just think that we'd be better served with Pick 9.

PICK 9!!!

Burgoyne for Pick 9 and Mark Williams. Pick 9 = Andrew Moore who hasn't exactly set the world on fire has he?

I look down that list and with the exception of Nate Fyfe at 20 don't see much talent standing out (now at least). This draft is 22yrs old now so you would have expected a few more to have stepped up. I fancy HFC new this before they traded. The Mark Williams factor turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

1 9 Andrew Moore Eastern Ranges TAC Cup Port Adelaide
1 10 Jake Melksham Calder Cannons TAC Cup Essendon
1 11 Jordan Gysberts Eastern Ranges TAC Cup Melbourne
1 12 Kane Lucas East Fremantle WAFL Carlton
1 13 Daniel Talia Calder Cannons TAC Cup Adelaide
1 14 Lewis Jetta Swan Districts WAFL Sydney
1 15 Christian Howard Glenelg SANFL Western Bulldogs
1 16 Jasper Pittard Geelong Falcons TAC Cup Port Adelaide
1 17 Daniel Menzel Central District SANFL Geelong
2 18 Luke Tapscott North Adelaide SANFL Melbourne
2 19 Benjamin Griffiths Eastern Ranges TAC Cup Richmond
2 20 Nathan Fyfe Claremont WAFL Fremantle
2 21 Ryan Bastinac Dandenong Stingrays TAC Cup North Melbourne
2 22 Gerrick Weedon Claremont WAFL West Coast
2 23 Koby Stevens Gippsland Power TAC Cup West Coast
2 24 Jake Carlisle Calder Cannons TAC Cup Essendon
2 25 Aaron Black Peel WAFL
North Melbourne

Burgoyne on the other hand single handedly won us the 2013 PF. I have no doubt in my mind that had he not been out there we would not have contested in the GF. On that basis alone the trade is an instantaneous undisputable success. Massive win. Got to love the Burger!

Silk has almost played 100 games for the club now. So as long as he can manage 13 games for the rest of his career, we have access to his male offspring.

13 games? I would like to think that Shaun Playford Burgoyne will surpass the number of games he played at Port Adelaide (157) with us.

.... and yes, his middle name is Playford.

This is getting embarrassing. Burgoyne is a star.
This was embarrasing, it's an old thread.

Love the Burger, although I must confess to having reservations due to his knees, but has been a super player for the Hawks. He also seems like a quality young man, an attribute that is underrated.

I wouldn't mind a Kane Lucas at Hawthorn he would be a star.
I assume you mean the Box Hill Hawks?

Dude, Lucas is a fringe player at a club that could not even make the top 8, we are the Premiership team.

Tell me one player out of our Premiership team he would get a game ahead of?

This was embarrasing, it's an old thread.

Love the Burger, although I must confess to having reservations due to his knees, but has been a super player for the Hawks. He also seems like a quality young man, an attribute that is underrated.
no it still is embarrassing because hodgepodge said kane lucas would be a star for us. he is RUBBISH.

In fairness to hodgepodge if you told me a few years ago that we would pay pick 9 plus Willo for a reliable back flanker with great skills that would only play one or two elite games a year of probably tell you it was a bad idea.

In fairness to Burgers we traded him for a guy that played about 5 underwhelming games after leaving the Hawks and pick 9. Burgers has probably been the difference in 5 or 6 games in the last 2 years alone. He is much more than a reliable HBF. HE is THE guy the team turns to more often than anyone (Other the Hodgey / Mitchell) when we NEED something special. If we need quick clearances or goals who goes into the middle? Burgoyne. He would have to be in the top 5 impact players at the club and that is saying something when you had Franklin, Roughead, Sewell, Mitchell, Rioli, Hodge all in the team.

Pretty fair to say that it was never going to be likely that any of the picks between 9 and 25 would give the same value to our team, as Burgoyne has.

I am surprised, in all the love for Burgers (rightfully so) is that noone has mentioend the off-field impact and leadership he has. He is a respected indigenous rep, who is an amazing mentor for our young indigenous (and non-indigenous) players. His impact on players like Brad Hill, Junior Boy and Jed would be pay a significant part of his price back even before his on-field heroics.

I admit having my doubts, especially when he missed the start of the first season with knee issues, but never doubted the quality and the impact he can (and does) have - especially in the big games:D .

This sort of quality is rare and is one reason I am worried about the impact of losing Buddy - who also stepped up in the big games:(

I don't care if he makes AA for the next five years, I just don't think getting SB was a good idea.

Sure we needed a ready made player, but is it worth missing out on a 10 year player like Lewis Jetta or Kane Lucas?

Lucas is practically ready made, and even Jetta is getting enough of the ball to suggest we should've picked him. Plus we need his speed.

Discuss.

ARE YOU JOKING ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
This is not a subject for discussion . This is not even a discussion, its like saying we should have been born without legs then we wouldn't have to walk everywhere. Enough now!

The difficulty of his final goal in the prelim cannot be underestimated.

It could be said that it defined this playing groups identity to the football following world.

Absolute class.

That's right, just ask Hale, Roughead, Breust, Smith, Franklin or Shiels (And I have probably missed another 5). When we NEED something to happen and happen right, Burgoyne is the man. Wether it be a clearance or a goal, he is the man. Think about the prelim last year.

3 matches I can remember that epitomise Shaun Burgoyne to me -
Round 22 2012 against the $wans. Burgoyne was pivotal in that game with clutch goals from set shots and clutch clearances in the middle and around goal/

Prelim 2012 -
5 minutes to go, Burgers pushes someone out of the middle, gets the clearance and delivers to Rioli for a goal to put us back up. Does the same thing with 18 seconds on the clock, when we NEEDED the clearance. Gets the clearance and bangs it to the hff for us and that kick ensures Adelaide does not have the time to kick forward and win the match

Prelim 2013 -
Without him we lose, that simple. That last qtr effort when we were out on our feet was gold. The Bartel tackle that directly got a goal. The contest with Mackie and give to Gunners = goal and the goal himself when everyone else was missing. He was directly responsible for the last 3 goals of the game. Talk about stepping up when needed.

If that was the only good 3 games he played for us in his entire career I would call the trade worth while.

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think we should've got Burgoyne. (again)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back