Autopsy Im still shaking are you? One of the great Final comebacks! 6 point winners over GWS.

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm starting to feel the same too. If its the Hawks could play Fox to negate Sicily? He would be tailor made for the role. That said i rate Amartey's ability to bring the ball to the ground and he made 5 tackles. But Mclean is the chop out in the ruck so makes Amartey vulnerable. Though his last goal may have saved his skin.

Yea, I was just looking at the Amartey stats & was surprised he had 5 tackles & good pressure acts compared to Mclean. If we had faith in Amartey body, he would be rucking & Mclean wouldn't be in the best 23. It's such a big risk not to have a 2nd ruck in finals. Very tough decisions but maybe Mclean for Fox?

🦢🦢🦢No luck catching them swans then 🦢🦢🦢

Campbell starts the prelim. JMAC more likely to play 30 good minutes as sub than Adams so unless there's a specific match up we want (shut down role on Neale or Mcluggage) then hard to see any other changes.

Holy shit balls what a win
If I had my way, Adams would come in for Amartey. He has given us nothing since his 9 goal game and that was a long time ago.

He couldn't kick the ball more than 5 yards before it touched the floor he looked about 80%

I feel for him but we can't take underdone players, in hindsight playing Amartey with a bung ankle & Campbell with a groin issue was a massive risk too.

I guess the Cleary for Amartey possible late change wasn't far off...

McCartin had to deal with the Coleman medalist whereas Melican had 3 conceeded on him from Cadman and 1 from a cross-match with Keefe (or it was one of his bad misses)
I recall that one of the goals from Cadman was a free against Rampe and another was when McCartin collided with Melican leaving a gift for Cadman on the ground. So feel that people are beinng a little harsh on McCartin, not that it was his best game but he didnt have a stinker.
I don't think it was easy for the defenders with the way the ball was coming in and we didnt provide much coverage/support from other defenders.

Yea, I was just looking at the Amartey stats & was surprised he had 5 tackles & good pressure acts compared to Mclean. If we had faith in Amartey body, he would be rucking & Mclean wouldn't be in the best 23. It's such a big risk not to have a 2nd ruck in finals. Very tough decisions but maybe Mclean for Fox?
McLean isn't close to being dropped. Had 4 marks in every game from round 16 up until that game today. Including 17 contested marks in the 9 game span. Had 11 goals in the 9 game span as well. Think this might be a little reactive

The Swans were very much trying to manufacture a 50’for Papley at the end of the quarter.

So the umps were saying there is no 50 for time wasting as it isn’t a factor as the ball wasn’t returned quickly. Then GWS returned it to a different player.

I’m trying to work out what scenario gets a 50 after the siren then (going over the mark of course). Can you kick the ball 50 meters away in the wrong direction and waste as much time as you want.

I don’t think a 50 was warranted but just seemed a strange explanation at the time.

I recall that one of the goals from Cadman was a free against Rampe and another was when McCartin collided with Melican leaving a gift for Cadman on the ground. So feel that people are beinng a little harsh on McCartin, not that it was his best game but he didnt have a stinker.
I don't think it was easy for the defenders with the way the ball was coming in and we didnt provide much coverage/support from other defenders.
Oh im not saying that they had great games but they were both probably beaten in the matchup. Not the end of the world but they were both about the same in quality imo.

He's a match winner, gets the opposition to focus on him rather than their game and then backs it up with great skills and goal kicking. If you cringe at that you'd probably need to switch to watching tennis or something
Exactly lol.. my prevailing thought is that someone who focuses on that after that game is a bit odd!

Oh im not saying that they had great games but they were both probably beaten in the matchup. Not the end of the world but they were both about the same in quality imo.
You're right. Just need to bear in mind that there aren't many players that Hogan hasnt beaten this year. He has been Carey-esque in his form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're right. Just need to bear in mind that there aren't many players that Hogan hasnt beaten this year. He has been Carey-esque in his form.
Yep and McCartin probably takes the win on the year considering he only conceeded 6 in 3 games

From the limited amount we've seen of him, Amartey is actually a great chop out in the ruck, more mobile when the ball hits the deck and has a good leap. But as you say they prob think its too risky.
Many teams are successful with 2 talls so it could definitely be worth considering. Might depend on the opposition but if we make the grand final, the wide expanses of the MCG will suit a more mobile forward line.
Horse has made some tough calls - will he make any more like this?

The Swans were very much trying to manufacture a 50’for Papley at the end of the quarter.

So the umps were saying there is no 50 for time wasting as it isn’t a factor as the ball wasn’t returned quickly. Then GWS returned it to a different player.

I’m trying to work out what scenario gets a 50 after the siren then (going over the mark of course). Can you kick the ball 50 meters away in the wrong direction and waste as much time as you want.

I don’t think a 50 was warranted but just seemed a strange explanation at the time.
My understanding was it wasn't a 50 because the siren had already gone, and therefore there was no time wasted impact.

• First half felt like a horrible reoccurring nightmare, probably lucky to not be put away. Third qtr felt better but no inroads, and some horrible umpiring stopping us being a goal or 2 closer. Seemed like to little too late. Insane last qtr, and who cares how you got to a home prelim, we got there and that's all that matters.
  • Start better though please - they're a poor finishing team and that gave us a chance. Next team won't will run game out better. This is our chance, can't afford to waste it with sluggish starts.
  • Got the Papley call 100% right was absolutely huge some of his efforts were amazing, set up both the match winning goals. Got the McInerney call 100% wrong...interesting what we do there next match.
  • Heeney huge. Campbell best performance of his career and came in as the sub too. Warner's last qtr. Surprised to see Jordon only had 12 touches, felt like he did some enormous things. Lloyd's best game of the season by a mile. A few pretty good - solid performers after that group as well, but definitely one of those games where a handful did the majority of the heavy lifting.
  • There were a couple that definitely looked a but over awed in the finals heat. Defenders did some stupid things that made it harder than it needed to be.....also why we slip over so fricking much?
Under Kingsley they had a 23 - 0 record when leading at 3/4 time. Can't be too bad a poor finishing team.
I believe though that we can outrun any side in the last quarter as long as we are close enough.

no changes ... every player will walk taller after that, even those who were ordinary ...
amazing ... breathtaking
Just because we won doesn't mean that the side can't be or should be improved. In fact, I think it needs improvement.
Can't expect to continue to win off the back of Heeney's brilliance every week. Can't expect to win too often playing one quarter either. There were a few tonight who don't deserve to play in a couple of weeks. I hope Horse has the balls to continue making tough calls.

Under Kingsley they had a 23 - 0 record when leading at 3/4 time. Can't be too bad a poor finishing team.
I believe though that we can outrun any side in the last quarter as long as we are close enough.
Yep. We've overrun many teams this year. We seem seriously fit this year, but most importantly that have that belief that we can overun anyone.

Just because we won doesn't mean that the side can't be or should be improved. In fact, I think it needs improvement.
Can't expect to continue to win off the back of Heeney's brilliance every week. Can't expect to win too often playing one quarter either. There were a few tonight who don't deserve to play in a couple of weeks. I hope Horse has the balls to continue making tough calls.
That's true. As simple as if the 23 can be improved it needs to be changed.
Who would say are in the firing line? McInerney was clearly poor but we all know how good he can be and another two weeks of traiing and he may be better prepared.
I'm not sure about the 3 talls and wonder if we need to drop one of McClean or Amartey. But it would be ballsy to change our forward structure at this time of the year.

Bruise free football all night from that joke.
He did make 5 tackles, kicked a winning goal and apparently hurt his ankle on Thursday so was clearly a little impeded but by all means call him a joke. Seriously love how some supporters unconstructively rip into certain players. He had a poor night no doubt but really...

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Im still shaking are you? One of the great Final comebacks! 6 point winners over GWS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back