Autopsy Im still shaking are you? One of the great Final comebacks! 6 point winners over GWS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly, GWS were unbelievable. Their defence was rock solid and their forwards were clunking everything and they basically did it all game. Any team that plays like that is going to be hard to get on top of. But when they got tired we had more looks, albeit it was very hard work.
Apart from missing a couple of easy shots in front of goal, they did everything right.

Campbell and Jordon won us that. After Jordon clumsily missed that tackle that led to their last goal, he didn’t put a foot wrong. It was Jordon, Campbell, Heeney, Warner that pulled us over the line against all odds. I think we might win it all now.

Gulden was terrible. Roberts terrible, Blakey terrible, McCartin terrible. Melican almost good, but ultimately pretty terrible. McInerney beyond terrible. Parker almost terrible, but ultimately fine. Amartey, McDonald, McLean utterly terrible. Rampe great!

How the f did we win that? I still can’t believe it.

Last edited:

Campbell and Jordon won us that. After Jordon clumsily missed that tackle that led to their last goal, he didn’t put a foot wrong. It was Jordon, Campbell, Heeney, Warner that pulled us over the line against all odds. I think we might win it all now.

Gulden was terrible. Roberts terrible, Blakey terrible, McCartin terrible. Melican almost good, but ultimately pretty terrible. McInerney beyond terrible. Parker almost terrible, but ultimately fine. Amartey, McDonald, McLean utterly terrible.

Because even though they were all terrible for the most part they played 1 quality quarter. It also helps that Rampe, Cunningham, Lloyd and Heeney played full game blinders and Chad decided to turn up in the last

Gulden was terrible. Roberts terrible, Blakey terrible, McCartin terrible. Melican almost good, but ultimately pretty terrible. McInerney beyond terrible. Parker almost terrible, but ultimately fine. Amartey, McDonald, McLean utterly terrible.

Papley too.

I dont think I have seen a better kick than Jordon pinpointing it to Campbell in the goalsquare. It had to be absolutely perfect otherwise it was intercepted.

Literally a lot had to go right.

yeah, but we had to keep at it to make it go right ... we'll cop a bit for giving away a start, etc, but you cannot deny the toughness and persistence ... and it started in the third quarter but we just couldn't get reward ... but we kept at it, and that persistence, that resilience deserves credit

Some friendly and not so friendly observations from the SCG.

1. What about the noise ! The place went nuts and the Nick Davis comparison is spot on. The crowd was something else, reckon you could have heard the SCG from a 5km radius. Easily the best and most vocal crowd this year by +50db.

2. The umpiring is bordering on corruption. Had a perfect view of that cheating Number 11 Curtis Deboy and his mates paying frees in front of goal, also, Grundy mark, Parker mark, Cunningham taken high. Play on.

Rowie hit high, play on, right in front of him.

I mean what was it, felt like at least 5 goals / shots on goals from frees and dodgy decisions. Yes, Giants were better until half time but it should have been nearly even.

3. The crowd giving it to the umpires as they left the ground at half time. This was important. Seeing members frothing at the mouth in an almost Lordsesque manner was fantastic. The frees in front of goals stopped ein the second half as a result. The umps copped it just as bad as they left the ground at full time.

AFL HQ directed umpiring remains my number 1 concern.

4. We couldn’t buy a clearance. I expected better. Need to practice tap positioning, do something to fix this.

5. Too much hesitation, why no run and gun. Logan took a mark in the first then held it up when we had Heeney free in a mismatch.

6. Contested marking was poor from the 3 talls providing no relief down the line.

7. Mills on Darcy Jones is just bad coaching. Jones is one of the fastest guys in the AFL, and Mills, well, is not.

8. Heeney was god like. I know I’m biased but he kept the fight going early when it mattered most then brought it home like the true hero we need and deserve.

9. Cunningham fantastic, Campbell fantastic, Lloyd going hard at it - excellent. And Papley. 6 weeks off and plays a ridiculous match. The number 1 energy giver in the afl. Amazing.

10. What can you say that hasn’t already been said about that last quarter. Half the crowd would have lost their voices. This quarter rivalled Nick Davis and overall was one of the best matches I’ve ever been blessed to witness live.

And yes, my heart rate did climb above 60 as my Garmin watch alerted me to ‘high stress levels’

But I will tell you this, I never stopped believing.

Go Swans !

JHWF - raw and uncut as we approach the grannie.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

4. We couldn’t buy a clearance. I expected better. Need to practice tap positioning, do something to fix this.

5. Too much hesitation, why no run and gun. Logan took a mark in the first then held it up when we had Heeney free in a mismatch.

6. Contested marking was poor from the 3 talls providing no relief down the line.
Logan undoes much of his hard work by taking enough time to bake a leg of lamb when he kicks from on the wing. Lack of confidence? I don't know but hopefully he improves the more games he plays.

Hawks & Port will murder us at the clearances if we don't fix it - I don't know HOW we're actually going to because its been a pain the back half of year for us I feel and I'm not seeing.

Logan undoes much of his hard work by taking enough time to bake a leg of lamb when he kicks from on the wing. Lack of confidence? I don't know but hopefully he improves the more games he plays.

Hawks & Port will murder us at the clearances if we don't fix it - I don't know HOW we're actually going to because its been a pain the back half of year for us I feel and I'm not seeing.
Considering both Port and Hawthorn didn't win the clearance count on the weekend i don't think that will be the case. Think Hawthorn is very similar to us that they don't get mass clearances but are effective if they get it out of the initial contest. Also think they are similar with their ball movement and the wave they create.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-09-08 at 12.34.19 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-09-08 at 12.34.19 AM.png
    23.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot 2024-09-08 at 12.34.41 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-09-08 at 12.34.41 AM.png
    23.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Brisbane doing it comfortably so far against Carlton tonight.

I watched the Hawthorn game on Friday night. We'd better hope like hell, that Port can find a way next week.

Because otherwise it will be the Hawks up here, Prelim the week after. And they won't play for just three quarters. It will be four quarters of pace and pressure. They are a very good football team.

I'm going to be a Port barracker for next week.
They may well prove me wrong - but while they were terrific last night the Hawks, I think they are still very rough around the edges. Pace and pressure were good, but they have plenty of errors in them.

The dogs did not apply the level of pressure needed - we of course have to increase our pressure levels a lot - but I think the Giants were a lot cleaner today (even with errors they made) than the Hawks were last night. It will be a very tough contest whoever we get - its a prelim after all, but I'm not so sold they are quite there yet.

I could not believe how awful the umpiring was in that first half today - absolute amateur stuff. The worst however was the way they let the ruck contest turn into a rugby scrum. Once they gave a couple of well overdue free kicks early in the 3rd quarter, it opened up and we got into the game. Up until that point, poor old Grundy was being held in a rugby tackle at every bounce - it was really awful officiating, and I suspect someone at half time had a quiet word with the umpires.
I'd love to see a heat map of the frees. Appeared to me that we got ours in non-damaging areas where a number of theirs were shots on goal.
The amount of scragging and arm-chopping was dreadful. Some highs called, others ignored. All three of our gun mids held onto all day and only broke free in the last.

Melican had a stinker but then again GWS and WB are probably the hardest games for the tall defenders.

On another note how bloody nerve racking is counting down once we got ahead. No nails left
I actually felt like he was pretty good for large chunks of the game - beyond the comical moment with McCartin, and a couple of tough 50/50 moments. Had some really important 1 on 1 wins, and a couple of critical moments of real composure under serious pressure.

What a game. We created more highlights in that match than in the past two months.
Heeney's mark and 75-metre bomb were probably the top but Lloyd's goal and JJ's goal assist also rank pretty high.

Also: Parker steamrolling Ash, Blakey's crunching spoil and his 1 v 2 that led to goal, Papley's 1 v2 that created his assist for Heeney's bomb.

Has the second quarter become the new first quarter? We need a psychologist on the job for these slow starts.
But the lift in energy right from the beginning of the second half was really noticeable.

I was cursing him for a weak effort that let Ward score their last, but then he immediately followed it by setting up Campbell's goal.
That is all you can ask of players. Players will make mistakes, make errors, get things wrong. It is how they respond and make up for it that matters.

Nick Davis being the ultimate 'godfather' example of that - after Kirky gave him a bake on that famous night in 2005.

But that piece of play from Jordan is all you ever want to see - determination to let the bad moment go and make up for it.

Thought he was terrific today, he has been a super pick up for us this season, no matter what happens from here.

I actually felt like he was pretty good for large chunks of the game - beyond the comical moment with McCartin, and a couple of tough 50/50 moments. Had some really important 1 on 1 wins, and a couple of critical moments of real composure under serious pressure.
Tbf for a key position player especially defenders if you conceed 3 on your matchup(s) you pretty much have a bad day automatically so yes i think he was just a stinker for him considering the matchup of Cadman who he should be beating. But him and McCartin overall were both beaten on the day and we still got the job done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Im still shaking are you? One of the great Final comebacks! 6 point winners over GWS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back