Player Watch Izak Rankine Part II - Welcome to Adelaide

Pick 5 and a swap of 3rd/4th round picks for Rankine was...

• Massive overs

• Moderate overs

• Slight overs

• Fair value

• Slight unders

• Moderate unders

• Massive unders

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

It's nice, but does SA produce enough premium midfield stock to win a premiership?
No, we don't. We'll always need quality interstate players on our list to be successful (particularly in the midfield as you've noted). But to whatever extent we can bring in quaility home grown players, we should be doing so. It's been a noticeable shift in intent in the last few years, and I'm really liking it.

No, we don't. We'll always need quality interstate players on our list to be successful (particularly in the midfield as you've noted). But to whatever extent we can bring in quaility home grown players, we should be doing so. It's been a noticeable shift in intent in the last few years, and I'm really liking it.

It's coming at the expense of those quality interstate players though isn't it?

I don't mind it as happenstance, but it's not good strategy.

Luring home grown home is great - when you get them at a discount. That's what we need to strive for. Luring then home at full tote odds isn't a benefit.

That hair HAS to go.

You’ve been told, Izak.

amKXDBw.jpg

Some guy on Facebook reckons Rankine “will only play SANFL” that is one of the dumbest things I’ve heard in a long while

Was that Nicksy?

"Izak has a long way to go before he overtakes Ned and Murph"

something something pressure acts, something something tackles.

It's coming at the expense of those quality interstate players though isn't it?

I don't mind it as happenstance, but it's not good strategy.

Luring home grown home is great - when you get them at a discount. That's what we need to strive for. Luring then home at full tote odds isn't a benefit.
I don't think it is. It feels like we're doing it selectively, in a way that aligns with our roadmap of how we want to play and the team we want to be, while still bolstering the 'local' flavour of the list profile.

FWIW, my personal view is that Rankine's of a quality that he's a bloody good get regardless of where he's from. I reckon they genuinely see him and Rachelle filling a significant part of the midfield puzzle for us. I also reckon we've got a player in mind via free agency next year to close out that midfield equation (which would align nicely with the development of our younger emerging mids).

I'll be honest, whatever the deal is, and whatever his contract is - I'm happy. He is going to be so much fun to watch. Bring on 2023.

Tex, Fog, Rankine, Rachele, McAdam Thilthorpe etc - we are definitely not going to be boring.

We just have to get it down there now.

But on a positive it should no longer matter how good the delivery is as long as our bigs make a contest, we should be deadly on the deck.

5 felt like too much but hopefully we won't be sweating it for long.

We'd have traded a limb or two to have Rankine a couple years back. 5 not too far away from that and hes had a bit of an apprenticeship we didn't have to pay for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't care what anyone says, I'm personally loving that we're filling our team with quality SA kids again. Not to downplay the importance of some of the gun Vic kids who are a massive part of our team also (Rachelle, Soligo etc..), but I love that we're drawing our young home grown talent in more and more. Massively enhances our identity (for me at least).

Can't wait for 2023
Only the crows board could be negative about using 5 on Rankine

Agree our mid isn’t up to scratch yet , hopefully it comes

Like Rachele and Rankine as part of mid mid though

Can we get aggressive and make moves to draft a mid in teens ? Couple likely types , That’s dream from here for me but not sure we will do it

Only the crows board could be negative about using 5 on Rankine

Agree our mid isn’t up to scratch yet , hopefully it comes

Like Rachele and Rankine as part of mid mid though

Can we get aggressive and make moves to draft a mid in teens ? Couple likely types , That’s dream from here for me but not sure we will do it
PLUS PLUS PLUS

Pedlar can be horne he is one cm shorter with similar attributes and a better kick

Move forward everyone our biggest need actually is
1. a developing ruck that is fast and good kick - verrall or barnett or someone must be drafted

2. a 200cm agile CHB with good kick - can mcasey have an apparition or could himmelberg be switched back? cos I dont see any options

the tall mid is only third need on this list now this could be achieved by trading 23 and future second for a late-ish first but that will knock out 1.

PLUS PLUS PLUS

Pedlar can be horne he is one cm shorter with similar attributes and a better kick

1. a developing ruck that is fast and good kick - verrall or barnett or someone must be drafted

2. a 200cm agile CHB with good kick - can mcasey have an apparition or could himmelberg be switched back? cos I dont see any options

the tall mid is only third need on this list now this could be achieved by trading 23 and future second for a late-ish first but that will knock out 1.
I’d go mid over ruck because I think Thilthorpe can play up to 50% ruck within 3 years at a v high level just need another good ruck / forward . Agree draft a developing one but not one in 20s in this years lot

Agree key back but mid still more important in my eyes . They all important as you say though

Need Taylor Pedlar Schoenberg to come on next year and Berry / Soligo to keep going

A surprise like nankervis elevating would be handy too

PLUS PLUS PLUS

I wonder if Gallant could go to CHB?

Rewatch the second half of the second showdown to see the fun that'll come from our stacked forward line and awful midfield.
I'm not disagreeing with you, I agree we should have focused on some bigger mids.

However, we have, what we have.

So do you see improvement in our mids for 2023 , or do you see the 2nd half of the showdown as the norm ( in high pressure games)

Last edited:
Yes. The hand wringing and teeth gnashing is totally unnecessary.
Half this board would have to change what they write as their occupation on their tax returns…

I'm not disagreeing with you, I agree we should have focused on some bigger mods.

However, we have, what we have.

So do you see improvement in our mids for 2023 , or do you see the 2nd half of the showdown as the norm ( in high pressure games)
So our mods are short asses like our short ass mids?

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Izak Rankine Part II - Welcome to Adelaide

Back